News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I agree. Eventually the TTC will be 100% accessible, which I think will be a great accomplishment considering that very few large cities have done it.
Indeed! Once again Toronto is ahead of Montreal, not to mention London and New York - both of which seem shockingly poor on accessibility. I don't recall seeing much in Paris either ... but I don't really know.

When I went to London last year it looked like only a small handful of Tube stations (less than 10) were fully accessible (or 'step-free' as they say in the UK). The fact that Toronto is at almost one-third and will get to at least 80% by 2023 is pretty impressive.

I'm a little irritated that Toronto is trying to bug the province about this. Ontario already gave Toronto a much longer deadline than any other municipality--the rest of the province's transit systems had until December 31, 2013 to be fully accessible. To be fair renovating subway stations is a lot more expensive than switching a bus fleet, but still. Just raise property taxes and get it done.

To be fair renovating subway stations is a lot more expensive than switching a bus fleet, but still. Just raise property taxes and get it done.
That would be a fair comment if Toronto hadn't also at the same time made it's entire bus fleet accessible. The province explicitly set the standard to include subway and streetcars. They should be coughing up the money then to pay for it. If Toronto was to pay for it, then Toronto should be setting the accessibility standard, not the province. It's not like Toronto is particularly behind other cities with a similar age of infrastructure - if anything it's well ahead based on the examples here.

I don't know what the claim is that Toronto was given more time than any other municipality, I believe the same standard is applied to all subways and streetcars in the province, not just Toronto.

qKc25nO.jpg

I'm a little surprised he's still in town :)

Someone tweeted out a picture yesterday from QP of the ceremony for the new Lieutenant Governor taking office. The point of the tweet was to embarrass the NDP (only 3 of their elected members chose to show up)....but the thing that jumped out at me in the pic was that Tim Hudak was there...like most, I guess, I figured he really had moved on....but still showing up for work.

edit found the pic

https://twitter.com/spaikin/status/514477150079311872/photo/1

Last edited:
is that your photo tiger?

but yes, of course hes still around. Hes still an MPP after all.

Yes it's my picture. And yeah I know he's still an MPP. It's just that if I were I'm his position I'd probably be too ashamed to show my face anywhere around these parts. I'd pack up my stuff and retire in Florida or something :)

I would have thought that Islington Station would be one of the first stations to get accessible, and certainly not the last.

I would have thought that Islington Station would be one of the first stations to get accessible, and certainly not the last.
Until it decided on what to be built on that site, it way down the list for being accessible.

Until Mississauga gets relocated to Kipling by 2019, TTC can't look at building a new terminal for TTC routes next to CP tracks. That terminal will be very small and will have accessibility in it.

TTC wants an office tower where the current bus bays are, but no one wants to build one there other than condos.

Don't see anything for accessibility until at least 2022-25 at this time.

The bus bays are individually separated and crumbling, I think they are holding off on building multiple elevators up to a terminal that is basically on the verge of collapse.

The bus bays are individually separated and crumbling, I think they are holding off on building multiple elevators up to a terminal that is basically on the verge of collapse.
Presumably Mississauga would be on the hook for most of the elevators to the bus bays. There's no point if they move the whole thing before all the other stations are accessible.

Back