News   Jul 17, 2024
 150     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 776     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The fare gates in the Spadina Station main entrance have been removed entirely, they should be replaced by the new model sometime this week. Maybe there should be a new thread for these? I'll see if I can get some photos once they're installed.

It seems I spoke too soon, they appear to be shinier versions of the old model and not the modern model I was hoping for. However Brad Ross indicated they would be upgraded when Presto arrives, not sure exactly what this means.

A streetcar can go from Dundas West to Exhibition by turning south at Dufferin. And plus a rocket bus service is express.

A streetcar can go from Dundas West to Exhibition by turning south at Dufferin.
Only from King, so the routing would be Roncesvalles/King/Dufferin (assuming you don't want to backtrack all the way to Bathurst and/or Spadina to use Queen). I think the original poster was looking at a link on Dufferin from Dundas to Queen, to go the slightly shorter Dundas/Dufferin routing.

And plus a rocket bus service is express.
Yes and because streetcars can't overtake, there's not much point. Which is why city's which still run trolley buses, run express services over the same route using diesel buses.

Since there is no streetcar service on Dufferin, any streetcar could run express on it. The Dufferin buses would still provide local service.

Currently, the TTC tries to avoid running buses and streetcars on the same route. However, if they run the buses local at the curb and the streetcars express in the center lanes, that would be an interesting experiment. I would like them to try that on Kingston Road. Local 22A Coxwell buses to Victoria Park and Kingston Road, but with 502 Downtowner streetcars stopping at express stops.

Last edited:
Since there is no streetcar service on Dufferin, any streetcar could run express on it. The Dufferin buses would still provide local service.
Uh .. yeah, because there's no tracks on it for the most part. Even the track between King and Queen is inaccessible from Dundas West, with the way the curves go.

Obviously they would never drop millions of $ on the remaining track to Dundas just for Exhibition service. So if it ever were an option, there would likely by then be service on it. Thus meaning you'd still need buses to provide a rocket service.

And reading through the comments, there were people who defended the bus driver (and said they were on the bus) and who said that the passengers were harassing her.

And reading through the comments, there were people who defended the bus driver (and said they were on the bus) and who said that the passengers were harassing her.
The driver here seemed pretty sensible to me - I was on a 75 bus when there was a similar incident last year where a wheelchair passenger started cursing other passengers who were (she said) blocking her view and the driver - who was very calm - got the Transit Control folk on the speakers; they tried to talk to the woman but finally called for security. Not sure of exactly what happened as most passengers got off and got on following bus but it was clear that this was a repeat offender who Transit Control seemed to know about. Bus (and streetcar) drivers clearly have to deal with angry and/or irrational passengers from time to time.

I took the 509 bus from Union Station this morning. The driver got on the microphone and greeted everyone with a fun speech along the lines of "Welcome to the 509 route. Sit back and enjoy as we travel through sunshine and traffic, making all local stops". It was quite a pleasant surprise and added a bit of fun to the trip.

Maybe a bit of sarcasm, but done kind of tongue in cheek -- sort of the speech you hear on a plane. It was quite funny and definitely got everyone's attention. We could do with more fun bits like that on our commutes.

I'm assuming the driver meant that sarcastically ;)
Why? There are several TTC operators who have quite amusing 'acts'. I was on a streetcar not long ago where the operator was running a general knowledge quiz and I would say that almost everyone on the car was smiling. I have also been on a bus where the operator sang out the stops (quite well) but that was before the automated announcements.

Back