News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why? There are several TTC operators who have quite amusing 'acts'. I was on a streetcar not long ago where the operator was running a general knowledge quiz and I would say that almost everyone on the car was smiling. I have also been on a bus where the operator sang out the stops (quite well) but that was before the automated announcements.

Man I MISS the singing operator. He was the best. He would make a little song for all of the major stops.

The 509 bus is an absolute disaster, that's why. I've only taken it twice but the thing absolutely crawls. Its taken 25 minutes to get to queens quay from front before.

Why? There are several TTC operators who have quite amusing 'acts'. I was on a streetcar not long ago where the operator was running a general knowledge quiz and I would say that almost everyone on the car was smiling. I have also been on a bus where the operator sang out the stops (quite well) but that was before the automated announcements.

Maybe a bit of sarcasm, but done kind of tongue in cheek -- sort of the speech you hear on a plane. It was quite funny and definitely got everyone's attention. We could do with more fun bits like that on our commutes.

Yeah I meant what PinkLucy said. I often incorrectly use "tongue in cheek" and "sarcasm" interchangeably.

Back in high school we had a regular driver who would play games with the students on the bus. I miss that :)

The 509 bus is an absolute disaster, that's why. I've only taken it twice but the thing absolutely crawls. Its taken 25 minutes to get to queens quay from front before.
Knowing this happens somedays (though looked more like 10 to 15 to me), I walked to Queens Quay once at about 6 pm to take it. But after 25 minutes, not a single one had stopped, and I walked back to Union and took a GO train to Exhibition instead.

I can't believe the number of lazy ass people who will line up day after day for such a slow bus. Why don't they walk? What is wrong with them? Most of them look able-bodied.

I can't believe the number of lazy ass people who will line up day after day for such a slow bus. Why don't they walk? What is wrong with them? Most of them look able-bodied.

this is the same guys who fight tooth and nail against removing some streetcar stops because they would have to walk 100 meter more (they use handicapped people and 85 years olds as justification though).

I don't know about you, but after standing on my feet for 6 to 8 hours at work, I'm not very inclined to walk futher than I need to.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I admit that I do not stand when I'm working, so I can't put myself in your shoes exactly… but I hate long lineups. I would rather walk towards my destination than wait an unknown amount of time to be picked up (especially if I'm going to be packed like a sardine into the bus). I regularly walk home from the subway (1.6 km) rather than wait 7 or 8 minutes for the bus, and I've walked from home to downtown (10 km) several times in the past year (it takes a while, but the streets are so interesting), so when I see people lined up on Bay at Wellington to head to somewhere along Queens Quay (let's say Lower Simcoe) which is just 1.1 km away, I figure a good proportion of those people are just lazy. We know we have a lot of out-of-shape people. I used to be one of them. Getting active has been a major boon, and should be encouraged.

504 diversion at King/Queen at the Don River Bridge to continue! This is in the August minutes of the West Don Lands Committee (WT website). I am not surprised.

IO has had to request an extension of the closure of the bridge due to delays. The current estimated opening is January 2015.

504 diversion at King/Queen at the Don River Bridge to continue! This is in the August minutes of the West Don Lands Committee (WT website). I am not surprised.

IO has had to request an extension of the closure of the bridge due to delays. The current estimated opening is January 2015.
Maybe my prediction that the 504 to Cherry Loop will open before the 504 returns to King East will come true.

TTC doesn’t have money to make all subway stops accessible

Read More: http://globalnews.ca/news/1579308/ttc-doesnt-have-money-to-make-all-subway-stops-accessible/

Despite provincial legislation commanding the TTC to make all 69 subway stops in Toronto accessible to people with disabilities, the commission says there is simply not enough money to complete the job. “The TTC is still committed to being fully accessible,” Brad Ross, a spokesperson for the TTC said. He added the TTC is lobbying the Liberal government for more money to comply with rules the province itself enacted.

Stations below do not have funding for construction in the TTC 2014 – 2023 Capital Budget:

Stations Complete by
Station Greenwood Complete by 2020
Station Wellesley Complete by2021
Station Lansdowne Complete by2021
Station Keele Complete by 2021
Station College Complete by 2022
Station Spadina Complete by 2022
Station Chester Complete by 2022
Station Christie Complete by 2023
Station Castle Frank Complete by 2023
Station Summerhill Complete by 2023
Station High Park Complete by 2023
Station Museum Complete by 2024
Station Rosedale Complete by 2024
Station Old Mill Complete by 2024
Station Glencairn Complete by 2025
Station Warden Complete by 2025
Station Islington Complete by 2025

From Société de transport de Montréal:

The Montmorency, De la Concorde, Cartier, Berri-UQAM, Lionel-Groulx, Henri-Bourassa and Côte-Vertu métro stations are accessible at street level to wheelchair users. The Bonaventure station is partially accessible, between the ticket booth level and train platforms only. For now, there is no direct access from street level.

Compare with the TTC:

TTC elevators serve 32 of the system’s 69 subway and Scarborough RT stations. These elevators are specially designed for people in wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, with other mobility devices or baby strollers. The TTC also operates and maintains 292 escalators throughout the Subway/RT system.

Toronto is doing better.

Back