News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It's not a problem unique to the Nova buses it's been like that ever since they started bringing in low floor buses people just don't want to stand on the uper level until they are forced to do it.

I dont blame them. The stairs are so narrow. It makes it damn near impossible to get off the bus if you are squished in at the back.

It's not a problem unique to the Nova buses it's been like that ever since they started bringing in low floor buses people just don't want to stand on the uper level until they are forced to do it.
It's hard to get off the bus if you're up there and the bus is a crushload. It's very easy to miss your stop too as you can't get people to move out the way fast enough. I don't blame them for not going up there. It's fine only when you're heading to the last stops or know the bus will clear out. If they had a door at the back like European buses, more people would likely be up there.

It's hard to get off the bus if you're up there and the bus is a crushload. It's very easy to miss your stop too as you can't get people to move out the way fast enough. I don't blame them for not going up there. It's fine only when you're heading to the last stops or know the bus will clear out. If they had a door at the back like European buses, more people would likely be up there.
For any transit system using DD for local route, you "NEED" 2 door and have seen 3 on some systems in Europe. Hell!!, I even saw 3-4 doors on 40' buses and up to 5 on artic's

From my experience using both single and twin doors in Europe, your idle time can be a few seconds more than normal, depending on the load and stop and that can add up based on the number of stops.

Wasn't sure about using DD on local routes before going to Europe and nothing wrong using them after ridding them. I used both levels as well watch riders using the upper level and saw no real issue at all. Using DD is a lot better than artic's in the winter, let alone less room for bus terminal. Can seat more than artic. It becomes a learning curb at first for everyone, but it comes secondhand after time using the upper level a few time.

All DD I rode met AODA standards. Some DD had 2 stairs.

If one looks at a Paris Metro map or London's tube for example, the lines run under buildings, streets, canals, rivers, other lines, just about anywhere.

Why do Toronto planners have this 'must run under such and such a street mentality'?

If one looks at a Paris Metro map or London's tube for example, the lines run under buildings, streets, canals, rivers, other lines, just about anywhere.

Why do Toronto planners have this 'must run under such and such a street mentality'?

Most of London's lines are an amalgamation of various railway companies services. Great Northern, Metropolitan and District Railway and the Baker street and Waterloo Railway company.

These services were put in long before these buildings were built.

It is also the reason you have so many intersections there. Each company had their own station at various points some intersecting with other lines because they did not want to share so to speak. Elephant and Castle is a good example. There are two tube stations about 100m away because two competing companies didnt want to share originally.

In Toronto our system is newer so these buildings all existed when the system was built and we avoided them.

We did build under sources of water and then Yonge station leaked.

As for building under rivers they did that at York Mills I believe and along Sheppard where it meets with the Don River

Most of London's lines are an amalgamation of various railway companies services. Great Northern, Metropolitan and District Railway and the Baker street and Waterloo Railway company.

These services were put in long before these buildings were built.

It is also the reason you have so many intersections there. Each company had their own station at various points some intersecting with other lines because they did not want to share so to speak. Elephant and Castle is a good example. There are two tube stations about 100m away because two competing companies didnt want to share originally.

In Toronto our system is newer so these buildings all existed when the system was built and we avoided them.

We did build under sources of water and then Yonge station leaked.

As for building under rivers they did that at York Mills I believe and along Sheppard where it meets with the Don River
Thank you.

From Transit Toronto, at this link:

ttc-davisville-stn-looking-sw-1953.jpg

A view of the original Davisville station main entrance, taken from Chaplin Crescent, looking southwest towards Yonge, circa 1953. This photo was taken by Hugh "Bud" Martin and is courtesy his son John.

300px-Davisville_TTC_McBrien_Building_back_side.JPG

Today.

True but not easy as they have to have another operator guiding the pole through the reverse and they only usually do it in the yard and the street only if they have to get them out of the way for one reason or another. As far as I know, the TTC hasn't reversed streetcar in revenue service for a long time.

Once again, they do so all of the time. And yes, they do so in revenue service if they need to back a car out of a blockage. It's not a common occurrence, especially in the last couple of years as they've seemed to have done a better job of monitoring these kinds of things, but I've had it happen to me at least twice.

There are rules to doing it - they need a second person on the ground, especially if they are going through specialwork - but it's not like it is never, ever done.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back