News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 395     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Transit Report Card released. Montreal transit continues to lead in the nation; Toronto and Ottawa transit grades drop

See link to report.

The fiscal conservatives on City Council and the TTC board will be happy to learn that the TTC rates an "A" for Greater Toronto & Hamilton farebox recovery of 64% in 2015. However, they still wanted cuts, cuts, and more cuts despite that. If they were actually transit users, they would be upset about GTHA getting an overall "C", but seem not to.

Montreal got a "A+++", Greater Calgary got a "A+", Metro Vancouver got a "A+".

Transit service in the GTHA received a “C” grade this year due to a decrease in service hours per capita. The region continues to underperform in operating cost per passenger trip and passenger trip intensity.

While passenger trip intensity in the GTHA is still low, the underlying metric improved dramatically between 2014 and 2015, moving from 14.3 to 16.6, though more improvement will be needed to get the region near the median of 19.7.

The region maintained the highest farebox recovery of all regions measured, though it has slipped
from 67% in 2013 to 64% in 2015.

Last edited:
The fiscal conservatives on City Council and the TTC board will be happy to learn that the TTC rates an "A" for Greater Toronto & Hamilton farebox recovery of 64% in 2015. However, they still wanted cuts, cuts, and more cuts despite that.

Getting a garbage score for operating cost per passenger just validates their argument that the TTC is inefficient and needs to find ways to better use its current subsidy. I'd love to see someone simply give them $1.25 and $1.50 in additional subsidies for every dollar they cut. I bet they'd suddenly have no problem finding a lot of wasteful spending in the organization when they get a 25% return on trimming that waste, rather than the current 0% or negative return (since they're usually only asked to find spending cuts so that the subsidy can be redistributed in the TTC or returned to the city).

Anyways, what the does "passenger trip intensity" mean? I read the report's definition, but I still don't quite understand it.

Getting a garbage score for operating cost per passenger just validates their argument that the TTC is inefficient and needs to find ways to better use its current subsidy. I'd love to see someone simply give them $1.25 and $1.50 in additional subsidies for every dollar they cut. I bet they'd suddenly have no problem finding a lot of wasteful spending in the organization when they get a 25% return on trimming that waste, rather than the current 0% or negative return (since they're usually only asked to find spending cuts so that the subsidy can be redistributed in the TTC or returned to the city).

Anyways, what the does "passenger trip intensity" mean? I read the report's definition, but I still don't quite understand it.

AOD, above, is on point.

First, this is a score for all measured systems in the region.

So we'd have to see the underlying data, to distinguish the TTC.

Second, 'garbage score on operating cost per passenger?;

I don't even see that metric.

I see 2 'C' grades, meaning sub-par.

One for intensity and one for operating cost per trip.

That distinction matters, as I would expect Toronto region commuters to have the longest average trips in the country, which result in higher costs per trip.

Apples to Apples

Operating cost per service hour is normative.

As to transit intensity, its a measure of how well service levels match demand. I would read that as suggesting service in the GTHA fails to meet demand.

None of which is to say that the TTC couldn't lean-out in places.

But as we move to one-person train operation (and none will follow sooner than some think, and the collect position is eliminated, TTC efficiency will improve.

I am not sure how anyone can extend the findings in the report - which is GTHA wide, to a TTC specific interpretation.
Exactly it would be essentially impossible to extrapolate results for the TTC from this report. Especially since there are a lot of municipalities included in the which operate their transit systems like a joke, some which immediately come to mind are: Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton, and York Region.

I just noticed that the TTC have changed the text on the automatic message they use to acknowledge online complains/suggestions. They now say..

"Thank you for contacting TTC Customer Service. Your feedback helps us work towards our goal of being a Transit System that makes Toronto proud."

Evidently the TTC is still beaming with excitement over this ridiculous award from two months ago, and they want everyone to know it. This is a picture of a Toronto Rocket train, taken today.

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.47.18 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.47.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.47.18 PM.png
    216 KB · Views: 420
Evidently the TTC is still beaming with excitement over this ridiculous award from two months ago, and they want everyone to know it. This is a picture of a Toronto Rocket train, taken today.

View attachment 119009
I think it's their way of saying they are tired of people criticizing everything that they do. Be it closing a line to perform matince or siganl upgrades amonmg many other things.

TTC has an obscene number of problems but they're also one of the top 5 transit organizations Canada/USA.

They want people like you to stop holding up the TTC to ridiculously high standards and complaining that it doesn't meet those standards.
That is a very good way of putting it. The TTC is FAR from perfect but there are other major transit systems that are FAR worse - Washington DC and NYC spring to mind. Montreal does some things better than us but their train frequency is still FAR less than ours and only 6 of their stations have elevators. I have live in TO for 16 years and the TTC is FAR better today than it was in 2001. The TTC's phrase noted above "Your feedback helps us work towards our goal of being a Transit System that makes Toronto proud" implies that they know they have more to do, and THAT'S for sure!

Back