News   Jul 16, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 250     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

2) Outside of the CNE, demand on the 509/511 between Bastion St and CNE loop is virtually nonexistent; while it's heavy during TFC games, many of those attendees drive or use GO

Way to blow off a major streetcar traffic generator with "doesn't matter because reasons".

And what about the Toronto Marlies? They won and are moving on to their conference finals. Plus all the other events they have there. The lack of streetcar access to Ricoh Coliseum is maddening.

But hey, I gues it doesn't matter because everyone will take the "reasons" there.

Way to blow off a major streetcar traffic generator with "doesn't matter because reasons".

And what about the Toronto Marlies? They won and are moving on to their conference finals. Plus all the other events they have there. The lack of streetcar access to Ricoh Coliseum is maddening.

But hey, I gues it doesn't matter because everyone will take the "reasons" there.
Things are plan up to a year in advance of the work taking place and there will always be a looser at the time construction starts. If you plan for everything, nothing will get done at all.

The CNE Loop retaining wall had to be built to Metrolinx new standards as well cutting down the noise from it so there is less complaining by the folks across the track. Again, people being clueless what around them when buying or renting a place. Metrolinx wants to upgrade the GO station and can't do that until the retaining wall is built. As for the lack of work on the stations themselves, see GO Project thread for that info.

Short turning at Fleet is a headache for TTC. They have to use the same number of cars on the same schedule as the CNE one, to the point you have cars turning in a circle as well been backup trying to get to the loop.

Both TFC and Marlies fans have to deal with what taking place and its only one year (months) for the disruption.

Service suspended on Line 2, Jane to Keele, due to a fire investigation at Runnymede. Shuttle buses operating at street level.

TTC's Bloor Line halted, stations evacuated after reports of smoke on train

Service suspended from Keele to Jane stations for fire investigation.

See link.

A fire at the rear of a TTC subway train has halted service on the Bloor line between Keele and Jane stations.

A spokesperson for the transit commission said the train was travelling between Runnymede and Jane stations when smoke was noticed.

The train was empty at the time, so no passengers were at risk, but both Runnymede and Jane were evacuated as a precaution.

TTC and Toronto Fire Service staff are at track level investigating the issue.

Toronto Fire Services told the Star it was too early to determine what caused the blaze.

Shuttle buses are operating, and the TTC has recommended that passengers use the UP Express from Dundas West Station, or GO Transit from Mimico, Exhibition or Long Branch stations.

Service suspended on Line 2, Jane to Keele, due to a fire investigation at Runnymede. Shuttle buses operating at street level.

Service suspended from Keele to Jane stations for fire investigation.

See link.

There was some very poor communication from management as per usual. It was to the point where there were streetcar and bus operators that werent even aware of the issue until passengers brought it up.

There was some very poor communication from management as per usual. It was to the point where there were streetcar and bus operators that werent even aware of the issue until passengers brought it up.
With that 1970 communication tech, it is almost impossible for a few supervisors to individually text 1000 buses/streetcars while trying to find extra buses to run the shuttle. This won't change till they have the new communication system running by 2018 or whenever it is installed.

They can't text the bus and streetcar drivers with the appropriate messages. Would be better if they had communication boards on board all vehicles to issue problem messages with possible detours or alternate routes.

They can't text the bus and streetcar drivers with the appropriate messages. Would be better if they had communication boards on board all vehicles to issue problem messages with possible detours or alternate routes.
I don't think some people will even care. There are still people who doesn't know streetcars need POP and only finds out when they get a ticket (paid fare but didn't want to take the "filthy" transfer). Better off making an app that gives a notification when subway goes down and show them the best alternative routes based on GPS.

They don't know because the TTC has done a terrible job educating the public about the POP rules. Their operators and fare collectors can't even bother to tell people that customers now much have POP when paying cash fares.

The Official news about the fire, from this link:

May 19 Line 2 service disruption
May 20, 2016

Yesterday afternoon at about 4:30, smoke was reported at Jane and Runnymede stations, and then on an empty train at High Park Station. Service was suspended between Keele and Islington stations, Toronto Fire called, stations evacuated and shuttle buses ordered.

TTC crews made repairs to the train it believed was the source of the smoke, but when power was restored, a communications cable at Runnymede Station arced and smoked, knocking out communications at the station. While crews and Toronto Fire worked to investigate that problem, the TTC was able to restore service west of Jane Station at 6:10 p.m., shortening the turnback locations to Keele and Jane from Keele and Islington stations.

Subway service cannot safely operate without adequate radio communications. A decision was made at approximately 10 p.m. to suspend service between Keele and Jane stations for the rest of the night to allow crews to inspect the affected area and to ensure it was safe and ready for this morning’s start of service.

This morning’s service was problem-free.

The root cause of these fires is under investigation. The TTC believes, however, that the problem began with a faulty power cable on the underside of a westbound train.

TTC staff were dispatched from across the network to assist customers, safely evacuate stations and manage shuttle buses. At the peak of the incident, 65 shuttle buses were running. Shuttle buses are pulled from bus routes throughout the city and take time to get on scene, particularly in rush hour traffic.

A TTC-Metrolinx protocol was also enacted, allowing TTC customers to access GO and UP Express service for the price of a TTC fare.

Announcements were made throughout the subway system over the course of the evening, in addition to e-Alerts and social media updates. Communications is always a challenge in these situations, but was worsened by loss of communications at Runnymede Station.

Safety comes before service. The TTC appreciates the frustration these situations can cause, but it will not compromise public or employee safety whenever fire or smoke is detected. There were no reports of any customer injuries last evening and we thank our employees and our partners at Toronto Fire, Toronto Police and Metrolinx for their assistance.

A TTC-Metrolinx protocol was also enacted, allowing TTC customers to access GO and UP Express service for the price of a TTC fare.

Did anyone try accessing GO and/or UP Express using a TTC fare?

The Official news about the fire, from this link:

Did anyone try accessing GO and/or UP Express using a TTC fare?
It was smooth sailing for me. I used the Lakeshore West line since the only alternative for me would've been the 501 which wouldve taken forever with the current diversion around Spadina, King, and Shaw. A fare inspector asked me for my fare, and I simply told him about the situation with subway and showed him my Metropass.

I noticed this bit in a recent post on Steve Munro's blog:
In the 2016 Budget, the TTC Board and Council chose not to fund the new service with additional money, and so this operation will be implemented by cutting service on the outer ends of the 504 King route. Peak service will operate every 8-9 minutes, and off-peak periods, the line will operate on a 15 minute headway with five cars.
If true, this is a seriously raw deal for Roncesvalles -- that doesn't even meet the TTC's standards for frequent service. Knowing the TTC's line management, I expect that we'll regularly see gaps of 20 to 30 minutes during off-peak service. And during morning peak, streetcars are already often standing room only going south from Dundas West. At double the headway, I predict that every car will be seeing crush loads. Not good.

I know more service is desperately needed between Liberty Village and downtown, but it's being added at the expense of those near the ends of the route, especially those north of Queen. I hope these cuts are reversed once the streetcar shortage is resolved.

I'm not sure how the 514 only running every 15-minutes off-peak would impact anyone on Roncesvalles or Dundas West.

upload_2016-5-22_11-34-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-22_11-34-13.png
    upload_2016-5-22_11-34-13.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
I'm not sure how the 514 only running every 15-minutes off-peak would impact anyone on Roncesvalles or Dundas West.
You are correct, and I am relieved. The part of the post I quoted above seemed to be referring to the service on the outer ends of the route, rather than the new route. But I see that the spreadsheets match your interpretation, and service from Broadview to Dundas West is remaining at 4' headways during AM peak, with slight reductions to off-peak and weekend service. That change is much more reasonable.

Back