News   Jul 16, 2024
 373     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 512     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 635     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Our streetcars occasionally need sand for traction. Does anyone know why this isn't also a requirement for our subway and RT vehicles?

The subway and RT are on a signalling system and separated from cars and pedestrians, and thus they do not have to stop as quickly as streetcars do.

I believe the sand is there to create traction when stopping, aka I only ever see it spray out when a streetcar is braking.

Rail vehicles need their wheels to maintain contact with the running rails at all times as that's how the electrical current returns to ground. Yet sand is dumped right in front of these wheels without problem.

As such, I'm doubtful that wheel sanders would cause any interference with the third rail.

Rail vehicles need their wheels to maintain contact with the running rails at all times as that's how the electrical current returns to ground. Yet sand is dumped right in front of these wheels without problem.

As such, I'm doubtful that wheel sanders would cause any interference with the third rail.

Each wheel on each bogie would be able to provide the current return. Unlike the trolley or pantograph, the third rail system could get power from each bogie.

Sand was never contemplated for the vehicles used on the SRT as it was always envisioned that the majority of the acceleration and braking forces would be made independent of the wheel-rail interface - by using the LIM and reaction rail. Of course, the reality has turned out to be quite different, and the equipment as built uses disc brakes mounted on each axle for its primary braking.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

While I cannot confirm it, it is a logical assumption that the third rail and sanders do not mix. Looking at this page suggests that if they could use sanders, they would.

I also tried out some of my dual mode trains in Train Simulator 2015. Unfortunately, they do not make the sanding sound regardless as to whether they are in third rail or overhead wire mode, so I cannot confirm if the sander is working in the former mode or not.

While I cannot confirm it, it is a logical assumption that the third rail and sanders do not mix. Looking at this page suggests that if they could use sanders, they would.

I'm not sure how you can figure that, as Metro-North runs equipment on their third-rail powered lines, such as their P32DM-ACs and Comet cars. Hell, their M8 EMUs are capable of running on both third rail and overhead, and they have sanders.

Now, that said, you may very well be right in that very few subway systems use sand, but that doesn't necessarily preclude its use around third rail.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Pedestrian dead after being struck by streetcar

Why is it that so many more people are killed by streetcars compared to busses? I can recall 4 streetcar deaths in the past 8 months, but only 1 bus death.

I'd guess that it's because streetcars run in places where there are actually pedestrians on the street..

Finch East bus isn't likely to hit any pedestrians any time soon.

I am surprised that more people in Chinatown are not hit or kill, as they are fool when trying to cross the ROW or running in front of the car trying to catch it as it pulling away from the stops.

People think streetcar can stop faster than a bus, but forget the rails become grease with snow or rain on them and will slide a greater distance than a bus at the same speed to a point depending on the sand.

After watching the cars leaving Russell Yard for the Easter Parade and looking at the fleet in the yard, maybe TTC should start with next year parade by putting cars that are to be retire at that time in the parade as well. A banner be place on them saying this is the final run of X car after X time in the fleet. This will allow the public to see the existing fleet being retire as well the new cars replacing them to the point the CLRV in the parade will be class as an old timer. It would be nice to see the ALVR in the parade to show what has been used to move riders around the city since 1925.

One day, the current fleet will see the same thing happen to it as they are replace by the next generation of cars with no pans or poles at all.

Last edited:
Just when you think you've heard everything...

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-falls-onto-tracks-at-college-station-halting-subway-service-1.2314160

Just how did a motorized wheelchair ended up on the tracks at College? The only imaginable route would be one that accidentally got off the train not realizing it is not an accessible station - because any other possibility entails that wheelchair going through the gates (which should have trigger staff intervention) then down stairs or escalators, in which case it should have ended at the bottom thereof instead of the tracks.

AoD

Last edited:
Just when you think you've heard everything...

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-falls-onto-tracks-at-college-station-halting-subway-service-1.2314160

Just how did a motorized wheelchair ended up on the tracks at College? The only imaginable route would be one that accidentally got off the train not realizing it is not an accessible station - because any other possibility entails that wheelchair going through the gates (which should have trigger staff intervention) then down stairs or escalators, in which case it should have ended at the bottom thereof instead of the tracks.

AoD

Another reason for platform screen doors. Except for the non-transit users who would consider them to be just "gravy".

Does the SRT use sand?

No. That's the whole advantage of ICTS/ALRT - using a Linear Motor means that wheel to rail friction has nothing to do with propulsion and very little to do with braking.

The LIM takes care of ~95% of the braking, and the wheel brakes are just used for final stop and position holding. They also have electromagnetic track brakes, like most trams and Light Rail vehicles (electromagnetic pad between the wheels that locks down hard onto the rail directly).

Back