News   Jul 30, 2024
 565     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 599     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I use the "Transit" app and it seems to, though I pretty much only ride streetcars.
I use it as well, and it works for busses. But they make the app clunky to use when looking at connecting busses – obviously they want you to upgrade to the paid version to access public (i.e. TTC) data.

TTC to host Emancipation Day Underground Freedom Train Ride

Jul. 30, 2024

The TTC has announced it will once again be hosting the Emancipation Day Underground Freedom Train Ride, taking place this Wed., Jul. 31, in support of Blackhurst Cultural Centre. The late evening train ride from Union Station to Downsview Park marks the celebration of Emancipation Day on August 1st.

“The Emancipation Day Underground Freedom Train Ride serves as a reminder of the incredible risks and sacrifices made by formerly enslaved people in their migration to Canada, symbolizing the strength and resilience of those who sought freedom and opportunity,” said Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow. “I commend Blackhurst Cultural Centre and the TTC for organizing this meaningful and engaging experience, celebrating freedom, and supporting our ongoing efforts to confront anti-Black racism.”

“The Emancipation Day Underground Freedom Train Ride is a unique way to reflect on the abolition of slavery in the British Empire, and to celebrate Black history and culture that have shaped Canada today,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “The TTC is committed to ensuring that events like this continue to promote awareness, education, and unity within our diverse city. We invite the public to join us in this important celebration and reflection on Emancipation Day, as we honor the past and work towards a more inclusive and equitable future for all.”

“The TTC is honoured to support Blackhurst Culture Centre in hosting the Underground Freedom Train Ride,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “This annual event, which the TTC has supported since 2013, is not only a celebration of the past but also a reminder of the ongoing work needed to create a more equitable, inclusive, and welcoming transit system for all.”

The Underground Freedom Train Ride will travel non-stop between Union and Downsview Park stations, providing up to 1,200 participants with an immersive experience that will include a poetry performance by Lillian Allen, Poet Laureate, City of Toronto. Following the train ride, a special Emancipation Day event will be held at Downsview Park. This event will feature performances of singing and drumming, as well as moments of reflection on the significance of Emancipation Day.

When: Wed., July 31 / Thurs., Aug. 1, 2024.

Where: Line 1 Yonge-University, Union Station to Downsview Park Station.

Time: Ceremony at Union Station begins at 10 p.m. Freedom Train departs Union Station, University platform, at 11:09 p.m., and arrives at Downsview Park Station at approximately 11:45 p.m. The event at Downsview Park runs from 12:00 – 12:20 a.m.

Back