News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That's not a "wayfinding issue", that has more to do with the need for more gates at rush hour.

As I understand it, most of the stations on the University Line will have this done over the next year or two.

Dan

That is part of the 'Station Modernization' program which includes the way finding and other changes.

And yes, the intent is to roll it out to additional stations.

Additional programs are looking at enhanced vertical circulation.

St. Andrew is on the list for a 'second' (or third) exit, a second independent path, which serves fire code but also additional capacity; currently that is not part of this project and is penciled in for the late mid to late 2030s, but may get bumped up.

St. George is getting attention because its set to follow Bloor-Yonge into the massive expansion plan (additional platforms) and so lots of info is desired there on what can be made to work.

I'm not in St. Andrew much at peak, but it hasn't struck me as particularly crowded during the shoulder period - at least pre-Covid. Nothing like Dundas which must be the worst non-interchange station on the system for access and crowding. Is it just a lack of faregates?

Hopefully they don't go too far with uni-directional gates. Woodbine only has two gates now (how they managed to rebuild the station and not do something about that I don't know) at the main entrance.

Reactions: PL1
Not sure about the wayfinding aspect, but the fare gates at Dundas has gone unidirectional, which frankly should have been the practice from day one (Union Station, I am looking at you).

AoD
Unidirectional fare gates means dedicated enter and exit gates right? This prevents people from opposing directions trying to go through the same gate, thus increasing flow rate. Green arrow for those you can go through from your direction and red X for those you can't. The number of enter and exit gates depend on the current volume in each direction and placement of them can depend on station layout.

I'm not in St. Andrew much at peak, but it hasn't struck me as particularly crowded during the shoulder period - at least pre-Covid. Nothing like Dundas which must be the worst non-interchange station on the system for access and crowding. Is it just a lack of faregates?

Hopefully they don't go too far with uni-directional gates. Woodbine only has two gates now (how they managed to rebuild the station and not do something about that I don't know) at the main entrance.

There are multiple issues with Dundas station - basically a bad case of building things cheaply and not expanding the concourse - but instead routing every single station entrance/exit to two dinky spaces.

AoD

There are multiple issues with Dundas station - basically a bad case of building things cheaply and not expanding the concourse - but instead routing every single station entrance/exit to two dinky spaces.

AoD

St. Andrew can get pretty busy in rush hour on a peak-day; fare gates are only one part of the issue, its also a very small mezzanine through which to sort all the traffic, including through traffic for the PATH; vertical circulation is also limited. That's why the additional exit is prioritized, in addition to fire code issues, to redistribute some of the load.

On Dundas, the new north exit off the mezzanine is under design right now. I'm marginally hopeful it will go forward next year. I know the NB platform will get one, I'm less sure if they're doing the SB platform yet, as I think they had hoped to piggy back on a development at the corner of Edward/Yonge.

There should be room to enlarge both mezzanines, the NB one would have to eat some space in the parking garage; the SB one, might have to eat a corner off TEC.

Woodbine is now on the books for an expanded bus terminal to hold artics in at least one bus bay, with a placeholder date of 2039.

I imagine the actual date will coincide with Choice (loblaws) redeveloping its properties which surround the station.

I have indicated in discussions w/the City and Choice that I would like to see a sliver of space given over to expanding Woodbine's footprint both above and below grade, and that the City/TTC should be willing to trade air rights over the bus terminal in exchange.

How far that gets ...... who knows.

On Dundas, the new north exit off the mezzanine is under design right now. I'm marginally hopeful it will go forward next year. I know the NB platform will get one, I'm less sure if they're doing the SB platform yet, as I think they had hoped to piggy back on a development at the corner of Edward/Yonge.

They couldn't even get that plan to have a new exit at the Atrium on the Bay to start - and that was pre-pandemic.

AoD

They couldn't even get that plan to have a new exit at the Atrium on the Bay to start - and that was pre-pandemic.

AoD

Yah, I'm not sure how they're handling it, it wouldn't fit in the current sidewalk, but maybe if they put it in, in conjunction w/Yonge be narrowed, they can put it outside, ideally with a canopy over the top.

I rode the subway last night, and on my way to my destination there was a delay because of a police investigation at St. Andrew. On my way back there was a delay due to a police investigation at Christie. Seems par for the course these days.

With all the work they're doing on Broadview around Danforth, has there been any thought to measures to stop cars from racing through, especially southbound on Broadview turning right onto the bridge?

Has anyone noticed how bad the water stains are at Pioneer Village and York University are recently? They look absolutely terrible.
It's crazy how many cracks there are. Also I didn't see anything on the construction map BUT it seems they're doing water work on a basically new station?

Why can't we have nice things

Capture.PNG

Winter is coming. Does the TTC have a plan to keep out non-fare paying insane, addicted and intoxicated squatters and zombies who last winter migrated to the TTC's subway stations, trains, buses, streetcars and bus shelters? In short, will the TTC enforce its by-laws this winter? The TTC have to know they're coming.

Back