News   Jul 12, 2024
 793     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

I noticed a flurry of activity at shelters on King street this week and it looks like most had Nextbus LED signs installed. Is a full system rollout finally happening? Any reports from outside of downtown?

This would be so good!

If anyone is interested in this sort of thing, I've made a website that shows the real-time traffic conditions on TTC routes. It's here: http://unofficialttctrafficreport.ca/. It's based on the NextBus vehicle location data and is updated every minute.
Interesting - though I suppose if a streetcar breaks down it will look as though ALL traffic has stopped too?

Interesting - though I suppose if a streetcar breaks down it will look as though ALL traffic has stopped too?

There are a few different ways that a broken-down streetcar or bus will show up on this map. One of the things that will likely happen after a few minutes is a black section of road will appear in that area, indicating a very slow recent average speed. Also, you will be able to tell because that streetcar is not moving for some of all of the animation. (Admittedly it might require a certain kind of mind to notice this scenario.) Also, you will likely see other streetcars piling up behind it. I show some of these things in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7X3TV_hPbg

Will do. Let me know any route requests.

Highest priority:

-Finish all streetcar routes (502 Downtowner, 503 Kingston Rd, and 508 Lake Shore are lowest priority, as the three are rush hour only)
-Add in subway and RT as well

After the above is done, add bus routes (that are not already included) in order from busiest to least busiest

Last edited:
You're right and I should have added those streetcar routes already. I appreciate the scrutiny.

I would love nothing more than to support this entire list ASAP. Unfortunately there are various technical barriers, so these things will take time.

In the short term I think I'll be limited to taking route requests on a case-by-case basis.

You're right and I should have added those streetcar routes already. I appreciate the scrutiny.

I would love nothing more than to support this entire list ASAP. Unfortunately there are various technical barriers, so these things will take time.

In the short term I think I'll be limited to taking route requests on a case-by-case basis.

We all want every route to be shown, but routes cannot be added in quickly. This is why I am suggesting that you add routes based on priority and ridership levels. It would not be worth the time to add in 55 Warren Park for example (as much as people who live there would want it), when routes such as 512 St. Clair, 32 Eglinton West, and 25 Don Mills have much higher priority.

For now, add in the regular streetcar routes, as they are the highest priority. Both 509 Harbourfront and 512 St. Clair are the highest priority routes to be added. Subway and RT can come next.

I noticed yesterday that the Next Vehicle Information information is now being displayed for the buses at Eglinton Station. A screen went up by one set of the doors leading to the bus area. Considering I've had this information on my phone through Nextbus for well over a year (maybe two?), I don't see why it took the TTC so long to get this thing set up.

All that aside, this a great addition to the station and really improves the customer experience.

Does anyone know if the time's being displayed at the station represent arrival or departure times?

That's great. I wonder how widespread the installation of LED signs at bus shelters is. I haven't seen many myself, it would be great to see the along all frequent & busy bus/streetcar routes.

They have at Don Mills station.

It doesn't always seem that accurate though !

Back