News   Jul 12, 2024
 816     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

Monitoring NextBus drives me crazy at times too. I check it at about 4:15, as I leave the office at 4:30 and catch the Lawrence-Donway Bus (Which arrives at my stop at exactly 4:30, so I usually time the moment I leave the office so I can catch the bus) I can clearly see when the bus is way ahead of schedule, yet at no point does the bus slow down to get back on schedule. I have missed it so many times because it arrives before the scheduled time.

When I do miss the bus, I walk to Leslie to catch the 51 Leslie, or 54 Lawrence East bus. Again, NextBus shows incredible bunching, yet you never see them attempt to correct the bunching. Leslie has 4-6 buses running the route, and sometimes two will be right behind eachother, leaving a massive gap until the next bus. I've seen a bus held back before, yet it is rarely ever done. It sucks trying to follow a schedule, when the TTC doesn't seem to bother using them itself.

At least we have NextBus now and can actually see whats going on for ourselves. If I had to rely on the TTC's scheduling, I would just drive to work.

I need to get myself a smartphone first, then install the nextTTC app. Apparently, it works exactly like Nextbus

This is a real problem and I`m glad to see people discussing it.

I lived on a route which normally had only two buses operating on it. More than once both buses went down the road one after the other. Amazing

It's happening again on the 501. Looking at my stop (Louisa) the next streetcar, just 5 mins ago, was scheduled for Neville Park in 15 mins now it's suddenly 25 mins for Roncesvalles and 43 mins for Neville Park. This is absolutely unacceptable.. I hope the idiots who plan frequencies get the Stalin treatment. I'm in a rush to get downtown and since there is no other reasonable alternative for my stretch of Lake Shore, I'm utterly screwed unless I shell about 20 bucks for a taxi.

There needs to be heads rolling for the way the 501 is managed. Sometimes I feel like toddlers manage this route.

Update: surprise surprise suddenly the times changed again to six minutes and I had to run down the street to catch the streetcar so unless the TTC invented teleportation there is something very wrong with the accuracy of the gps in my neck of the woods.

Update: surprise surprise suddenly the times changed again to six minutes and I had to run down the street to catch the streetcar so unless the TTC invented teleportation there is something very wrong with the accuracy of the gps in my neck of the woods.
You said that it said 15 minutes and then disappeared. All 501 streetcars terminate (currently) at Kipling Loop. Louisa is about 10 minutes east of the terminus. If it said 15 minutes, it was already at, or approaching the loop. Presumably it got to the loop - the operator logged out or something ... and then started back into service ... so it vanished and reappeared. This isn't unusual on some routes - it might be more noticeable at the moment at this location because of the temporary terminal at Kipling.

Generally, if you know the car is down there - it has to come back.

Watch an app that shows locations as well for a while - it will give you a feel for how a particular locations behaves: http://whereismystreetcar.appspot.com/#RTE_501|STP_10217 I also find that app is particularly useful, as it picks ups cars detouring, etc., that the Nextbus app loses track of, as it will only map those it can offer a prediction for.

Either way a point has to be made about how, at times, some routes are so badly managed - the thing is if it was rush hour and there was traffic or accidents I'd be a lot more understanding (and that does happen) but I see this when there's little to no traffic and when headways are fairly spaced apart (i.e. 10min+) yet seeing two or three buses together with a 30 min gap after is just ridiculous and doesn't make any sense ... forget route management if they stuck to any schedule (slowing down or speeding up to meet it) this would be much less of an issue. Again when headways are 5min or better it must be tough, so I'm not getting into that ...

When will the Nextbus system be fully implemented at all bus and streetcar stops? YRT and VIVA has had it for a long time now and still Toronto is falling behind...

When will the Nextbus system be fully implemented at all bus and streetcar stops? YRT and VIVA has had it for a long time now and still Toronto is falling behind...

? It already is. Thy don;t have the texting codes posted on the stops yet but it all works.

? It already is. Thy don;t have the texting codes posted on the stops yet but it all works.

No... I meant the LED screens that displays when the next bus will arrive, like the one they have at the YRT and VIVA terminal station at Finch and at some select bus stops...

I noticed a flurry of activity at shelters on King street this week and it looks like most had Nextbus LED signs installed. Is a full system rollout finally happening? Any reports from outside of downtown?

Back