News   May 27, 2024
 599     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 629     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 4K     3 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

Try this site, see if it makes it easier: www.nextbus.com/mini.html

Most phones, even non-smart ones, have pretty good browsers these days. If yours isn't that good, try Opera Mini.

Yes, that's the version that came up automatically. At about 10 seconds per page, plus an odd glitch that mixed different routes after I had already chosen one, it would still take a lot longer than texting ... when I am at the stop, or know the stop number in advance. I will admit to not understanding how the phone's web browser works and have had trouble bookmarking.

-Ed

EDIT: If they want to charge because the texts cost them too much money (unlikely), fine. But they should also implement links to the NextBus on their website and mobile site so that we can see when the next vehicle without using their data.

In fact, if they charge due to the "costs" and then don't do this, I am going to file a complaint with the province. While we urban and transit nerds know about the NextBus website, I'm willing to bet that 90%+ of people don't.

Your laughing at what I wrote and then say you will "file a complaint with the province". I'm sure they will promptly act by sending your complaint to their circular file.

But there's a bigger question here. Where the hell is the bus data? We know NextBus has the capability to show the bus feeds because they've accidentally turned it on a couple times. We're half way through 2011 now. The streetcars have had this service for more than 2 years now. What is the hold up and why is it still in beta? Have they still not outfitted all the buses with GPS? Many questions, no answers.

That's completely unfair, especially for an unreliable service as is.

Numerous times I would get 5 mins from the next streetcar, and when retrying it at the station I would suddenly get 35 mins. While running to the stop it might change to 8 mins or I just don't get lucky. I'm lead to believe the TTC has perfected teleportation technology and is testing it on our streetcars.

That's completely unfair, especially for an unreliable service as is.

Numerous times I would get 5 mins from the next streetcar, and when retrying it at the station I would suddenly get 35 mins. While running to the stop it might change to 8 mins or I just don't get lucky. I'm lead to believe the TTC has perfected teleportation technology and is testing it on our streetcars.

I personally like watching the sign at the 510/509 stop at Union go from 297 Minutes to 3 Minutes, in a matter of seconds. I love these new high-speed streetcars!

I personally like watching the sign at the 510/509 stop at Union go from 297 Minutes to 3 Minutes, in a matter of seconds. I love these new high-speed streetcars!

Having used this at various spots in the city, I've always found the 509 to be the least accurate route for predictions. I've never had it miss a King car by more than a minute.

Are the accuracy problems not inherent to the technology though? It will never be right on as trip times between points on routes vary a lot, especially on the 509 and 510 because of the Lake Shore light cycles. Even advanced GPS units have trouble on occasion identifying positions in cities (though that's based on something I heard a few years ago and maybe things are better now). If there are improvements to be made with their prediction magic, surely they could have done it by now. My opinion is that an imperfect system is better than none.

I am wondering if there is an operating budget issue. If the cost to the TTC is based on the number of routes listed or the inquiries to the system they may be stalling on purpose to defer this expense.

Last edited:
I've never seen any of them exceed 60 minutes; when did you see 297?

Are the accuracy problems not inherent to the technology though?
The accuracy seems to vary over the months, everytime they try and tweak the software. Each time they update it, there's a new, but different, set of issues.

Currently times just after the terminals seem to be poor, as when the streetcar leaves the terminal, instead of using the information that it has finally left, and the travel time to where you might be standing - a couple of stops later - it currently seems to try and split the difference between the previous forecast (which might be guessing it's not going to leave for 15 minutes) and the estimated travel time (about 1 minute), and instead tells you that it will be there is something like 8 minutes ... and it comes 1 minute later.

The trick is to use an app that gives location as well, so you can look at it and say "Aha ... it says 8 minutes, but I better run because it will be there in 1 minute).

I've never seen any of them exceed 60 minutes; when did you see 297?

A few weeks ago at Union. There was a massive crowd waiting for the 510, and 509 after 509 kept coming. The sign originally said 17 minutes, and at one point went up to 297 minutes. The 509 drivers were all clueless as to what was going on. 30 minutes later, a 510 arrived and the driver explained that Spadina was closed due to an accident and all 510s were being short turned to provide service along the two halves of Spadina, while the 509 would ferry people who would take the 510 to Spadina where they could transfer at Queens Quay. Unfortunately, the message never got through and there were a lot of pissed off people.

Interesting ... they must cap the NextBus data at 60 minutes ... and I haven't seen more than 60 minutes on the LCD display panels at subway stations. But there must be something else going on for those LED displays.

The Chair has tweeted:

Good news! #TTC NVAS (NextBus) will be active for our customers as of Monday! OpenData info for streetcars will now extend to buses

Looks like all the routes are now up on Next Bus. I just pulled up the 306 map ... and with the windows open, I heard a streetcar passing ... and there it was on the map.

The http://borkbork.com/ttc/ site is showing every bus and streetcar in the city. The other apps will likely take a few days to catch up.

Since I'm getting an iPhone tomorrow, which apps do you recommend for the next streetcar info? Also, is Next TTC (the one I'm leaning to) going to incorporate the bus data once it comes online? Thanks.

hmm one of the complications, at least I found using the nextbus site directly; You can't get a next bus time arriving at this stop of ANY branch i.e. a combined time for all the branches. So this makes the times look off unless you select all and merge the times.

hmm one of the complications, at least I found using the nextbus site directly; You can't get a next bus time arriving at this stop of ANY branch i.e. a combined time for all the branches. So this makes the times look off unless you select all and merge the times.
Hmm, if I select the 91A and select a northbounnd stop just north of Danforth, it shows me all 3 branches:

Tracked vehicles for route 91-Woodbine arriving in:
2 minutes North - 91 Woodbine towards Lawrence
11 minutes North - 91f Woodbine towards York Mills via Railside
20 minutes North - 91a Woodbine towards Parkview Hills

Hmm, though when I look at the 96, it does seem difficult to see all the branches ... hmm, and I see a 96S as well!

Back