News   May 03, 2024
 967     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 595     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 286     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Speaking of St Andrew Station's fare gates, I'm not quite familiar with the station as I've only gone through it twice, but why are there two fare lines on the North and South with entrances and exits on the East and West? Why not have fare lines on the East and West so that there's the option to go to the north or south side escalators/stairs? Is it because the fare collector booth is in the middle of the south fare line and moving it is not worth it?
You clearly get around the City so why not go and look for yourself?

Speaking of St Andrew Station's fare gates, I'm not quite familiar with the station as I've only gone through it twice, but why are there two fare lines on the North and South with entrances and exits on the East and West? Why not have fare lines on the East and West so that there's the option to go to the north or south side escalators/stairs? Is it because the fare collector booth is in the middle of the south fare line and moving it is not worth it?

The stations on the University side were built to work as street crossings, not just subway entrances. This is especially important at St. Andrew since the PATH network runs through the station - it becomes disconnected if you have to pay a fare to get across.

The stations on the University side were built to work as street crossings, not just subway entrances. This is especially important at St. Andrew since the PATH network runs through the station - it becomes disconnected if you have to pay a fare to get across.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by this?
I was trying to say that the layout of St Andrew and the rationale for it would be clearer to you if you were to actually visit the station and see the layout in person. Some UTers do not live in the City but you clearly do and post about all kinds of projects so visiting the station would appear to be fairly easy for you.

I was trying to say that the layout of St Andrew and the rationale for it would be clearer to you if you were to actually visit the station and see the layout in person. Some UTers do not live in the City but you clearly do and post about all kinds of projects so visiting the station would appear to be fairly easy for you.
Well I live in Richmond Hill and I’m only working in Toronto for 4 more months. I guess I could go visit it if I took a later train home, but the station diagram posted above (from the TTC accessible site) gives enough details to why my question/suggestion is wrong.

I find it's just annoying that you have to stop walking for a second to wait for the gates to open, while in many other places in the world you just tap while walking and the gate opens before you have to stop. Not a huge deal, but could be a much better passenger flow if they open like a half a second earlier.
With these gates, they should be set as open by default, and only close when sensors are activated and a fare has not been paid. That will eliminate the pause-and-go problem.

With these gates, they should be set as open by default, and only close when sensors are activated and a fare has not been paid. That will eliminate the pause-and-go problem.

I guess you have never used on directly behind someone if you tap right after somoen the gate doesn't close enough between the two taps to cause a deyla. Most prpblems I see with the new fare gates on a day to day basis are human related like people taping in the wrong place or satnding in the path of the sensors and trying to tap.

I guess you have never used on directly behind someone if you tap right after somoen the gate doesn't close enough between the two taps to cause a deyla. Most prpblems I see with the new fare gates on a day to day basis are human related like people taping in the wrong place or satnding in the path of the sensors and trying to tap.

im curious into knowing how other much larger cities like tokyo manage to do this. They have many times more volume during rush hour and yet the close on non payment scheme works well for them.

im curious into knowing how other much larger cities like tokyo manage to do this. They have many times more volume during rush hour and yet the close on non payment scheme works well for them.
From appearances, they buy higher quality and better designed equipment. My guess is that whoever specced the gates, hadn't got a clue what they were doing.

Ironically it doesn't seem to be the processing time that's killing them, for the gates are even worse when you try and exit, and have no transaction to make - and you walk into them half the time, without them having opened yet. That's surely simply a function of there not being a long enough distance between the sensor and the gate.

They certainly feel a lot more flimsy than the gates you see in London.

I'm not sure how long the close on non-payment setup will be around. I notice Moscow moved away from that operating mode when they installed their new gates (between 2015 and 2017).

It makes sense to me too but transit in Moscow puts maintenance and operations simplicity above many other things, and their gates are now closed by default rather than open by default.

Last edited:
From appearances, they buy higher quality and better designed equipment. My guess is that whoever specced the gates, hadn't got a clue what they were doing.

Ironically it doesn't seem to be the processing time that's killing them, for the gates are even worse when you try and exit, and have no transaction to make - and you walk into them half the time, without them having opened yet. That's surely simply a function of there not being a long enough distance between the sensor and the gate.

They certainly feel a lot more flimsy than the gates you see in London.

maybe the gates that we specced are designed for lower capacity than what we have right now? I wonder if there are optional settings and motors that couldve been originally selected during purchase to prevent the issues that we were facing

maybe the gates that we specced are designed for lower capacity than what we have right now? I wonder if there are optional settings and motors that couldve been originally selected during purchase to prevent the issues that we were facing
Well, they are replacing all the motors so I guess there were options. BUT, the manufacturer is doing the replacement at their cost so I assume the TTC said "we need gates that can deal with a through-put of x" and they said "here, take these" and were proved wrong.

Well, they are replacing all the motors so I guess there were options. BUT, the manufacturer is doing the replacement at their cost so I assume the TTC said "we need gates that can deal with a through-put of x" and they said "here, take these" and were proved wrong.

what other cities have this unit in use? i wonder how their performance is vs ours? maybe its because that ttc riders were used to getting phyisical with the turnstyles and are just not used to the etiquite of gates.
the supplier probably didnt factor ttc specific rider entrance tendancies.

Back