News   Jul 10, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 280     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

The Colbeck and Annette stops would be too close together. Same with the Wilson and Heathrow stops.

Colbeck and Annette are ~620 meters apart. Coincidentally, Runnymede and Jane stations are ~610 meters apart. So I don't think the spacing is too close, especially for a surface (potentially mixed-traffic) LRT.

Maybe Wilson and Heathrow are a bit close at ~430 meters but the next through-running cross-street isn't until Chalkfarm at ~930 meters.

I'm more interested in how you're going to fit a ROW through here:

upload_2017-5-29_16-26-49.png

The road is only 4 lanes and there isn't much in the way of setbacks.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_16-26-49.png
    upload_2017-5-29_16-26-49.png
    470.3 KB · Views: 842
Colbeck and Annette are ~620 meters apart. Coincidentally, Runnymede and Jane stations are ~610 meters apart. So I don't think the spacing is too close, especially for a surface (potentially mixed-traffic) LRT.

Maybe Wilson and Heathrow are a bit close at ~430 meters but the next through-running cross-street isn't until Chalkfarm at ~930 meters.

View attachment 110392

Lol, I was in the middle of typing my reply about the spacing when you finished yours. I was about to say the same exact thing, agreed, the LRT stops would be too far apart without Heathrow.

Tbh, I didn't think about the road setbacks when I made the map lol. One solution would be like the Eglinton LRT with an underground portion in areas where surface ROW is not possible. South of Eglinton, the Jane LRT could become underground with fewer stations for example only Eglinton, Alliance, St. Clair/Dundas, Annette, and Jane Station at Bloor. That would probably the best case scenario or else the trains would be in mixed traffic, which would be the cheapest way. As someone who lives/lived close to there, is there a lot of vehicle traffic? If there isn't a whole lot of vehicle traffic, mixed traffic could be a compromise that still allows relatively quick travel.

View attachment 110392

My mistake...I was thinking Ardagh and not Colbeck

Tbh, I didn't think about the road setbacks when I made the map lol. One solution would be like the Eglinton LRT with an underground portion in areas where surface ROW is not possible. South of Eglinton, the Jane LRT could become underground with fewer stations for example only Eglinton, Alliance, St. Clair/Dundas, Annette, and Jane Station at Bloor. That would probably the best case scenario or else the trains would be in mixed traffic, which would be the cheapest way. As someone who lives/lived close to there, is there a lot of vehicle traffic? If there isn't a whole lot of vehicle traffic, mixed traffic could be a compromise that still allows relatively quick travel.

Traffic isn't that bad (at least at the times of day I drive there) except for a high-traffic intersections. Dundas and St. Clair both have a lot of left-turning traffic and the railway underpass would be a pinch-point for a ROW just like how the Weston road railway bridge is for the St. Clair streetcar.

A tunnel would be good, but it wouldn't have to be all the way from Eglinton to Bloor. Starting from Lambton should be sufficient to avoid most of the expropriation (3.7 km tunnel) or you might be able to keep it on the surface past black creek but by the time you get to Rockclyffe and all the high rises north of Woolner you'd need to be underground to maintain vehicle lanes (2.8 km tunnel).

So for a 23 km transit line you'd have ~3 km underground, not bad. Maybe some targeted grade separations would be planned too.

The Eglinton East LRT isn't included either, because that is a City of Toronto project. Presumably Jane was removed for a similar reason. Although, again I must emphasize, these maps have little relation to what the politicians will actually decide to eventually build

Eh. The RTPs aren't adhered to very strictly to decide the order of projects' construction, but it would be unusual for a major, provincially-run project like the DRL, Eglinton West or Yonge North to be passed over in favour of one like Jane or Eglinton East. That also doesn't mean that the province won't fund those projects. It just means that they won't fund the entirety or vast majority, like they're currently doing for Eglinton and Finch West.

Anyways, the Jane LRT probably fell off the map because of the TTC's bus reconfiguration plan. The Jane bus is going to be split in half by the Eglinton LRT, which should relieve the crowding on that route and reduce the need for more capacity.

Anyways, the Jane LRT probably fell off the map because of the TTC's bus reconfiguration plan. The Jane bus is going to be split in half by the Eglinton LRT, which should relieve the crowding on that route and reduce the need for more capacity.

I'd be really surprised if that were true. My experiences with the Jane bus is that it is absolutely packed north of Eglinton. In fact, I was never convinced of the need for the Jane LRT south of Eglinton; only Steeles to Eglinton did I believe LRT was necessary.

I'd be really surprised if that were true. My experiences with the Jane bus is that it is absolutely packed north of Eglinton. In fact, I was never convinced of the need for the Jane LRT south of Eglinton; only Steeles to Eglinton did I believe LRT was necessary.

Yeah but form a network perspective you want to provide access to Bloor-Danforth subway. Eglinton and Jane is not a destination itself.

After being on the Jane bus a few times it would be necessary to tunnel it 1km passed St. Clair to where the Smythe Park starts where not only is there space in the road, but space to make the road wider to accommodate the loss of lanes and even throw in extra bike lanes too north from there.

Except between Eglinton and Weston Road where it gets narrow again where it should go underground for that stretch. And it would put this LRT downstairs when it intersects Line 5 so they don’t have to cross each other at an Eglinton Flats stop.

It's not exactly a secret. Back in 2010 Steve Munro wrote this:
Problems with right-of-way width on the southern portion have led to speculation about tunneling, but the larger issue is whether the route south of Eglinton needs to be built as LRT at all. Where are riders from the north end of the Jane route going? Do they want to go to Jane Station, or does that simply happen to be where the Jane bus takes them? Would they be better served if the Jane LRT were operated as a branch of the Eglinton line?

The two big "future" Transit City lines (Jane and Don Mills) were more of a fantasy and political posturing than an actual plan. Don Mills would've inevitably run into the same problem south of the Don Valley.

Apologies if already raised (or if crazy), but any discussion of southening the Jane LRT down to the Waterfront Transit Reset RER area (South Kingsway)?

Apologies if already raised (or if crazy), but any discussion of southening the Jane LRT down to the Waterfront Transit Reset RER area (South Kingsway)?

This doesn't make any sense. South Kingsway is a two-lane, ultra-low-density residential road.

Back