News   Jul 15, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

I was told at TTC meeting yesterday that the St Clair extension will not surface until St Clair is 100% complete and has been in service for some time.

It is the light rod for the band of SOS.

Only when the final detail design work for the Jane St LRT take place will the provision for the St Clair line show up if the the St Clair extension hasn't started by then.

If the Jane LRT is a subway which it should, the question becomes do we try putting in a full underground interchange between the 2 lines or we just keep St Clair on the surface and continue the practices of moving cars to/from the route.

Then the other question do we extend/reinstall the old track line on Dundas to connect with St Clair with new tracks?

It will have to be in mix traffic and will upset the whole area to put the tracks back in place.

We've been told that there's nowhere in Toronto that justifies a subway line and that subways are too expensive. But now there's talk of a subway line on Jane, a place where no one has ever seriously proposed a subway line before... just with smaller trains. This is getting truly absurd; we really need to take a step back here and ask if Jane St justifies this.

I'm reminded of a thousand forum posts from last year stating how incredibly affordable these lines were, including Jane.

Two-car subway trains running every 5 minutes would be sufficient on Jane.

The last page of the PDF has two possibilities. An underground LRT all the way to Wilson (!) or a surface LRT the entire way. Two hugely different proposals. At least stop spacing is shown for both dependant on surface or underground operation.

I am amazded by the seat-of-your-pants EAs for all the TC projects, when there's so many variables yet to be decided.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/jane_lrt/pdf/faq.pdf

Beltline—Humber Loop

In 1890, construction on a Belt Line steam railway to circle Toronto was started. There were two separate loops. The Yonge Street Loop circled via the Don Valley, Mt, Pleasant Cemetery and the Grand Trunk near Caledonia Avenue.

The Humber Loop used the Grand Truck railway west along the lakeshore up to Swansea. It then headed north, parallel to the Humber River until Lambton. where it then went east to West Toronto Junction. It then followed the Grand Trunk railway through Parkdale and back to Union Station.

Service began on July 30, 1892. The last passenger service ended on November 17, 1894.

Does anyone know what route the Belt Line railway took from Swansea and the lakeshore up to Lambton? Does the right-of-way still exist? Maybe as a road, or a lane? I can't find a map of where it was in Swansea.

Why? Ending the Jane LRT at Bloor is incomplete to me. It should, at least connect with the Queensway LRT. I just want to know if the Belt Line right-of-way that went through Swansea is available or not. And whether or not it can be returned to its original use as rail transportation. Most likely not, but we could be surprised.

There should be a branch line to follow the Weston Sub to Eglinton. From there in the far future this will meet with GO Rail and the DRL toward downtown.

The ROW is visible only on the far south end. It lasted as a spur north of the Queensway up to 1960 or so and crossed the west-to-north ramp of the Kingsway cloverleaf.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...&scene=28306205&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Actually, the spur lasted through a lot of the 70s and perhaps (I may be wrong) even into the 80s, serving pre-condo industry on Ripley.

I might be mistaken, but, north of Dundas would the ped-bridge piers across the Humber as well as those marching up the hill to the deep cut to the east also have something to do with the Belt Line, at least in part?

Actually, the spur lasted through a lot of the 70s and perhaps (I may be wrong) even into the 80s, serving pre-condo industry on Ripley.

I might be mistaken, but, north of Dundas would the ped-bridge piers across the Humber as well as those marching up the hill to the deep cut to the east also have something to do with the Belt Line, at least in part?

Nope, those piers are one of the few remaining relics of another abandoned railway - that of the Toronto Suburban Guelph line which lasted until 1931.

(That line was really weird, as it bypassed nearly all settlements of any size along the route from Islington to Georgetown, like Streetsville or Brampton, instead stopping at Meadowvale, Churchville and Huttonville - it didn't even serve Cooksville well either).

I dropped by the public meeting last night, regarding the Jane St. proposal. The school gym was packed. They had laid out a lengthy aerial photo of the whole length of Jane Street. It stretched across three long tables. It was almost comical to see how everyone clustered around the south end part of it and virtually ignored the part north of Lawrence.

The engineer who was answering questions aknowledged pretty openly that a route on the surface, anywhere south of Wilson Avenue, was unlikely to happen. The right-of-way isn't wide enough to accommodate it. Just to drive home the point, the photo was marked to show what would need to be expropriated to widen the street, to acommodate a surface route. It included hundreds of prop4rties, most of them residential. This is just not gonna happen, in the real world.

Of all the initiatives for "Transit City", I am guessing that this will be the one "least likely to happen".

That's absolutely zany. And who says Transit City isn't just lines on a map?

They could spend the money saved by cancelling Jane and Sheppard TC lines by finishing the Sheppard Subway.

I had a good conversation with one of the TTC project managers at the Jane LRT meeting last night. I asked if routing to Dundas West station was ever considered.

He explained the early feasibility studies reviewed routes to Dundas West but all had major problems. Weston Road, Weston rail corridor, an east turn along St. Clair connecting to either, Dundas or Keele or Weston rail corridor were all included. In summary the direct line down Jane even with its problems was the path of least resistance.

The regional network benefits of Dundas West have also been addressed with GO stops for the Georgetown, Milton lines. The Jane LRT line will also connect to an airport line at some point. He also alluded that improved service to the Weston Rail corridor (and surrounding areas) was being reviewed on other transit projects.

Back to the existing plan, allot of concern was being voiced about the section between Dundas and Bloor. Not just the people fronting Jane Street but anybody living within a few blocks east or west were upset.

I also heard the usual, LRT is too noisy, too shiny, too fast, too slow, give us a subway, don’t do anything, give the money to the needy and “I can’t believe the TTC is ruining my life, you should all go to hellâ€.

LRT is a great ride, good view, quiet and the way to go. I’ve ridden dozens of them around the world and I can’t wait to see them running all over Toronto.

The meeting was interesting, if only to see in black and white what we already know. The "ideal plan" requires 36 metres for all proposed above-ground lanes. On the lower end of Jane, there is 20 metres. An extra 8 metres (which doesn't sound bad until you realize that's 25ft.!!) on each side will put it running through a whole whack of people's bedrooms.

Obviously - at least I hope it's still obvious to everyone - this is not an option. We were told (by the engineer answering questions at the lower end of the big map) that what they now need to do is go back, study the options, and come back with a revised assessment of those options, and if anyone has any ideas, etc., etc.

I had a good conversation with one of the TTC project managers at the Jane LRT meeting last night. I asked if routing to Dundas West station was ever considered.

He explained the early feasibility studies reviewed routes to Dundas West but all had major problems. Weston Road, Weston rail corridor, an east turn along St. Clair connecting to either, Dundas or Keele or Weston rail corridor were all included. In summary the direct line down Jane even with its problems was the path of least resistance.

I'm glad someone had that good of a conversation. I asked something similar of one of the project managers, which was, "Aside from the alternate options the engineer over here is mentioning - tunnel or cut & cover, 2-tracks with shared vehicle traffic, or single track, are there any other options currently being considered for the lower end of this, such as, say, running this along one of the rail corridors or going along a different route to another station?" The answer was brief and to the point - "No, at this point, it will need to go along Jane."

A good question I heard someone ask was, "Do you have an estimate on the ridership south of Eglinton once an LRT is hooked up to the rest of the system at Jane/Eglinton?" I didn't hear the answer.

Back to the existing plan, allot of concern was being voiced about the section between Dundas and Bloor. Not just the people fronting Jane Street

Hi. *waves*

but anybody living within a few blocks east or west were upset.

"Anybody" and "upset" might be a little strong. I'm definitely not upset, but I am, quite rightly, concerned and would like realistic answers, which I don't feel is what that meeting was about.

I also heard the usual, LRT is too noisy, too shiny, too fast, too slow, give us a subway, don’t do anything, give the money to the needy and “I can’t believe the TTC is ruining my life, you should all go to hellâ€.

Hmmm, people do get testy when their property values are on the line. What I heard a lot of was, "Well, this is only showing us what we already know. You could have stood in the middle of Jane at Annette for a minute and figured that out. It's too narrow down here to do what you want. So what are you really going to do?" And the answer is: They don't know yet.

Here's my thing: We are transit users, but I also require a car, and for that, I need pad parking. I wouldn't have bought this house without it, and if it's gone, my property value is considerably decreased. I'm reasonably sure that the TTC acknowledges what the consultant was saying - that the above-ground route they want simply isn't feasible down here - but I'm also just paranoid enough to not trust that completely. Digging is expensive.

The engineer who was answering questions aknowledged pretty openly that a route on the surface, anywhere south of Wilson Avenue, was unlikely to happen. The right-of-way isn't wide enough to accommodate it. Just to drive home the point, the photo was marked to show what would need to be expropriated to widen the street, to acommodate a surface route. It included hundreds of prop4rties, most of them residential. This is just not gonna happen, in the real world.

And thank goodness he was standing there explaining that, because otherwise people would have freaked when they saw that map.

Which leaves me to wonder - are they showing us this so that we'll just be so grateful that they aren't simply going to try and demo whole blocks of houses, in order that when they do come in to remove all our frontage and parking anyhow, we'll complain less? Obviously, I'm not okay with any plan that will require them to remove more than a foot or two of my frontage. Not being an engineer myself, how do I know that won't also be the case for any of the potential alternate plans (should they ever make it past the drawing board, due to cost)?

I don't know if I'm in the minority of residents or not, but I honestly don't have a problem with an LRT running past - or under - my front door. I support transit, I like LRTs, and I'm willing (yes, really) to put up with months and years of construction inconvenience. I'm okay with only being able to access my driveway from one direction only, and with traffic and on-street parking restrictions - though I worry very much for the local businesses that I support.

It's a strange place to be in - wanting very much to support transit in the city, even at significant inconvenience to myself, but feeling very protective of my home and neighbourhood - which I actively chose to live in, and rather like, thanks.

I hope at the next round of open houses, they are able to present something more realistic and practical, but I'm not holding my breath.

Martin: thanks a lot for the update on routing.

LRT is a great ride, good view, quiet and the way to go. I’ve ridden dozens of them around the world and I can’t wait to see them running all over Toronto.

There is a number of routes in Toronto where LRT is the way to go, but I doubt that Jane route should be built in Phase I. With more than 50% of its length underground, it will cost a lot (rough estimate: 7 km underground at 150 milllion per km, 7 km on surface at 35 milllion per km, total about 1.3 B).

Note that this route does not address any major under-served travel pattern, and partly duplicates the Spadina subway line. A substantial number of passengers from this area will be diverted to Spadina extension, Finch LRT, and Eglinton line (whether it is LRT or subway).

The City should consider postponing Jane LRT, and evaluating Kipling or Islington for Phase I. Those will likely be as useful (or more useful) than Jane, but cost much less (500 - 700 million) if routed on surface.

LRT underground: $130-160 million / km
LRT at grade: $30-50 million / km

Not included in the at grade, the expropriation costs to widen the right-of-way along the south portion of Jane Street to allow for two lanes of traffic and the LRT right-of-way.

So how many homes or businesses will have to be bought to widen a road's right-of-way along a kilometer. And which ones to be bought? From Bloor to Dundas, the distance is almost 2 km. That portion of the road has a right-of-way currently of 20 m. To Alliance is 3 km. Another kilometer added to go under Weston Road. The city would have to buy each building on both sides to widen it. How much is your house? Multiply it by the number of buildings to widen the road.

It would be cheaper to go undergound for the southern part of Jane Street. Other parts of Jane Street may have only a few buildings that would be cheaper to buy than go underground. Parking lots in front of stores are cheap to buy.

Good time for the city to buy in a buyers market for buildings.

Back