News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

In other news BBD isn't making the trains for REM, Alstom just came into North America in a big way damn.
What makes you think they weren't already "here" - Metro in Montreal, LRVs in Ottawa and Toronto, PL42AC in New Jersey, building Avelia for Amtrak (and had a part of Acela)...

Could they not come up with a Toronto plant to build it. If they take too long to deliver all of them then the last of the new streetcars would get sent to the Halton Museum instead.
I think Toronto/GTA should have gotten all the LRV work when Transit City happened (and the auto sector and its workforces were in freefall) but at this point concentrating on incrementing existing facilities like Millhaven is a better plan than spending time (and money Bombardier certainly don't have) standing up yet another new facility.

What makes you think they weren't already "here" - Metro in Montreal, LRVs in Ottawa and Toronto, PL42AC in New Jersey, building Avelia for Amtrak (and had a part of Acela)...
The trains in Montreal are being assembled by Bombardier in La Pocatière afaik.

Alstom is involved, and they had some major (and very late) software contributions - but I thought for the most part their name was on the project more as a legal pay off to settle their lawsuit against STM than a technical expertise.

Their main contribution was contribution was delaying the rolling stock by nearly 5 years, in their attemp to get around the sole-sourcing to Bombardier.

Alstom is involved, and they had some major (and very late) software contributions - but I thought for the most part their name was on the project more as a legal pay off to settle their lawsuit against STM than a technical expertise.

No, on top of being responsible for the train control systems, Alstom built the trains' bogies in their Sorel-Tracy plant.

sorel_tracy_2_0.jpg

Their contribution to the project was at least as important if not more than Bombardier, who was responsible for assembling the "dumb" part of the trains on top of it, testing it, and shipping it to the STM.
20120608-led-007_exterieur-630x430.jpg

No, on top of being responsible for the train control systems, Alstom built the trains' bogies in their Sorel-Tracy plant.
Ah good point. That's why I refer to my Honda as a Honda-Michelin.

I have not doubt that Alstom is supplying parts as part of the settlement. But technical expertise? The design was long-finished before Alstom sued, let alone the 5-years of delay they caused (ignoring however many years their late delivery of the control system took).[/QUOTE]

Ah good point. That's why I refer to my Honda as a Honda-Michelin. I have not doubt that Alstom is supplying parts as part of the settlement.

I didn't know Michelin designed and manufactured everything under the hood of your Honda, as well as the wheels, brakes, suspension, all of the electronics and driving instruments.

The design was long-finished before Alstom sued

You're right. The design was finished multiple years before... for the MP89 and MP05 trains in Paris.

26498031654_980b884d2a_b.jpg

The exact same Alstom design was reused in Montreal (except for the brake pads)

But technical expertise?

I'm sure a great deal of technical expertise went into manufacturing great seats, doors, and plastic finishes. Kudos to Bombardier. That's really the complicated part of a train. /s

I'm sure a great deal of technical expertise went into manufacturing great seats, doors, and plastic finishes. Kudos to Bombardier. That's really the complicated part of a train. /s
You seem to be very quick to ignore the 5-year delay entirely at the hands of Alstom.

It’s good to finally see some consequences for Bombardier.

http://business.financialpost.com/t...ier-after-losing-out-on-montreal-rail-project

Bombardier says that they’re “disappointed”. Yeah, so are Torontonians that they haven’t kept any of their repetitive promises leading to crush capacity streetcars and lines being converted to buses.

I don’t get how they’re “disappointed” that they didn’t get the New York contract after they were 2 years late on the previous one and how they didn’t get the Montreal contract after not being able to meet Toronto’s deadlines.

It’s good to finally see some consequences for Bombardier.

http://business.financialpost.com/t...ier-after-losing-out-on-montreal-rail-project

Bombardier says that they’re “disappointed”. Yeah, so are Torontonians that they haven’t kept any of their repetitive promises leading to crush capacity streetcars and lines being converted to buses.

I don’t get how they’re “disappointed” that they didn’t get the New York contract after they were 2 years late on the previous one and how they didn’t get the Montreal contract after not being able to meet Toronto’s deadlines.
BBD management seem to be remarkably oblivious to the fact that their decisions have consequences and to rely on the "Canadian Card" to win Canadian contracts. They have totally mishandled many contacts over many years and, sad though it is for those who work for or invest in the company, it is not surprising that customers remember their last experience or read the newspapers and see how others have fared and are not prepared to become their next "victims".

2016: http://montrealgazette.com/business...s-103-million-bid-from-bombardier-report-says
The AMT cancelled a $103-million call for tenders for 24 double-decker train cars, for which Bombardier Transportation was the only bidder. The cancellation could mean delays getting much-anticipated double-decker trains on the overcrowded Deux-Montagnes line.

“The bid was considered not to have conformed to the call for tenders,” AMT spokesperson Fanie St-Pierre said. “So we cancelled the tender process. We’ll see now if what we have asked can be provided by other companies aside from Bombardier.”

St-Pierre admitted it’s somewhat strange that Bombardier said in its bid it cannot furnish several items that are standard on AMT trains: screens announcing the next stop, an intercom and a passenger-detection system. She pointed out that Bombardier has built all the agency’s cars, and most of its locomotives to date, and never had a problem providing those features up to now.

Bombardier also said it is not able to build the trains within the 24-month period stipulated in the contract, saying it needs 36 months to build the cars, according to St-Pierre.

“We’re trying to understand why Bombardier submitted this offer like this,” St-Pierre said.

Since we are veering into the greater BBD universe might I add...

The company seems to be doing better on the TTC contract but its only one piece of the pie. The CSeries still has an uncertain future to the point where some customers are threatening to cancel due to delays. That would likely require a refund of deposits paid.

BBD as a whole is already dangerously mired in debt. Even if they had more new work an injection of capital would be required for each new venture. Not sure if they could raise the new funds without more government "investment".

As it is they sold a dozen or so A/C to Iran of all places in late 2017. But the deal was not financed by either party.

Instead our Federal government ponied up the cash as a $100 million "loan" to a country with no legitimate credit rating. Go figure.

Last edited:

Back