News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Looks like one of the new streetcars came off the tracks (to a certain degree) at the St. Clair loop?

Video here in a tweet.

The car was pushing a disabled CLRV when it happened. Sounds like it was a repeat of the derailment at King and Bathurst a couple of months ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Railfans here and on cptdb clamouring for a 3+ Flexity pic when we don’t know if TTC can offload two yet (or whether it will be two local jobs with a Flexity having to hang out at Agincourt awhile). Hell, have we even confirmed TTC can test two at once?

... we don’t know if TTC can offload two yet (or whether it will be two local jobs with a Flexity having to hang out at Agincourt awhile
With only one ramp, they'd have to deliver them one at a time. Presumably the second would be safer at Agincourt than on a mid-town siding.

Hell, have we even confirmed TTC can test two at once?
They've done that before. Lots of space in the barn.

With only one ramp, they'd have to deliver them one at a time. Presumably the second would be safer at Agincourt than on a mid-town siding.

They've done that before. Lots of space in the barn.
Both cars will be delivery to Hillcrest at the same time and unloaded as well. What will happen is the 2nd car will be cut from the rear idler car so it can be off loaded first. That flat will then be pull out and couple with the rear idler. The first car will be cut from the other flats and off loaded. Then all the cars will be recouple and taken to the yard.

This mean the CP Power will hang around to do the cuts and it doesn't take that long to off load a car. I would be very surprise it takes more than 90 minutes to off load a car.

If 3 or more cars get ship at the same time, the same thing could happen 3, but not sure on the other X cars.

There is tons of space in the yard considering TTC only has 51 on site and a number will be inside being service. I am assuming a number dead end cars will be there also or ones need work on as well or both.

It will be the first time TTC will test 2 cars at the same time and will help them when there will be more than 2 down the road. Nice test run this month.

Both cars will be delivery to Hillcrest at the same time and unloaded as well. What will happen is the 2nd car will be cut from the rear idler car so it can be off loaded first. That flat will then be pull out and couple with the rear idler. The first car will be cut from the other flats and off loaded. Then all the cars will be recouple and taken to the yard.

It is exceedingly unlikely that both cars will be unloaded at the same time. CP will not want to tie up one of its crews and equipment for 4 hours.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It is exceedingly unlikely that both cars will be unloaded at the same time. CP will not want to tie up one of its crews and equipment for 4 hours.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
How's that different from a normal delivery that ties up equipment and crew for 2 hours? Delivery to Hillcrest is special scheduling whether it's 2 hours or 4. And besides CP always has idle locomotives available.

The crowd here loves small problems. Perhaps problems in general. A Methodist Minister once told me that complaining was a habit. It certainly is habit forming.

The sky is falling. Oh my goodness. Will we complete the contract? Should we? What if the MTBF never gets to our goal? How many are coming this month? I doubt they will make the target. I guess this is another failure this year. Bombardier is such a bad company and citizen. And so on.

**picture appears (after about three years of waiting and delays) of two TTC Flexities loaded on two flatcars. 4451 and 4452**

Oh my goodness. How on earth will we cope with that? How can we accommodate that? That wasn't in the plan. I wonder if we know what to do with two? How will we burn these in simultaneously? Gosh, I'm not sure the crane crews can handle that. I hope we don't overburden the yard.

Really guys?

Personally. I hope this is the beginning. The city needs the vehicles. There are not more streetcars in service - yet - than there were the day 4400 and 4403 went into service in August of 2014. By the time that we account for the 10 of 50 ALRVs that are scrapped and then 50 of approx 200 CLRVs that are (already) scrapped, it is only with more deliveries at a sustained pace that the overall number of in-service cars can go up. Check the CPTB wiki and there are almost 60 of the original CLRV and ALRV fleet now scrapped. It will be a long time at this pace before there are additional vehicles for 504, or 502 or 503 ever see a car again. If you look at the construction on 501 west of Roncy, Humber Loop and the Queensway, there is the very real danger that we are renewing track that we have no vehicles to put into service on.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Its an yes and no they will do it, depending on a number of things. If this is a special move, then both cars will be off loaded on this move.

If it on a local, one or 2 cars could be done at different time and day and it will take time. Option one would see one car drop with the 2 idler cars stay on the local. Option 2 would see the 2nd car left on the north track with one car being off loaded while the local does it work. The local returning to the yard would drop off the cars it taking back to the yard on the north track and pickup the other car. It would run to the east to do a run around of the other cars to the west to get to Hillcrest. At this point, it would pull the empty flat out and add it and the 2nd car idler to the returning cars. Then drop off the 2nd car. The loco would have to relocate the end device to the flats and then do a run around to pick them up.

If the 2nd car is to come the next day, you still got to go through the run around again.

With all the extra moves and run around, option one is the best way to go. At the same time, CP has no fear of the 2nd car been tag over night in the yard by doing this special move.

Option 3 would see no need for a run around depending on the length of the returning train is. It would pickup the 2nd car and leave the rear idler car on the track and back up the whole train. It would then pull out the empty 2 flats and add them to the one on the 3rd track. It would then backup to drop off the car. It then would run to the yard with the flats in front of it with rest of the train as is. Still got to do a cut off and backup in the yard to drop off the rest of the train.

Last edited:
How did they ever handle the delivery of THREE PCC streetcars at the same time?

5509694863_1aac252638.jpg

Answer: they did just fine.

Back