News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4453 spotted in Thunder Bay, tweeted by Chris Drew, photo by Bryan Martyniuk. I believe that this is #3 in 7 days.

DPL1eOBW4AA5HoX.jpg:orig
'Tis.

For all we know there could be a whole bunch of nearly complete Flexities that are just sitting there waiting for one particular part that suppliers just aren't delivering fast enough.

For all we know there could be a whole bunch of nearly complete Flexities that are just sitting there waiting for one particular part that suppliers just aren't delivering fast enough.

Or, this is Snake Oil Co. trying to look good before the end of the year, because everyone is paying particular attention to their performance at this point in time. The sustainability of this performance level is highly doubtful.

That aside, there could be some modicum of ramp-up. Some ramp up always happens with these kinds of things. Even if late.

Slightly more than 2 streetcars per week would be a big improvement too. A very late acceleration of pace, an improved 2-streetcar-per-week with occasional 3-streetcar sputter-outs.

I *hope* this is sorta sustained.

Last edited:
Sounds like a parent chastising a child.

COME HERE AND LOOK WHAT YOU DID WRONG YOUNG MAN!

It looks like that but it's a fairly standard practice in the auto industry now. German cars, for example, had a bad reputation for being very difficult to maintain. So, they started making the design/engineer teams for a model handle the warranty cycle as well; meaning they moved onto the repair shop floors working with mechanics. 4 years later, and (in most cases) while they're still not simple for repairs, replacing a headlight no longer requires removing the engine.

Taking a few of the people who build X component through to maintenance/usage of X component can have a much bigger impact than sending back memos. Frankly, just breaking the disbelief that it's a part problem (rather than a problem with the people receiving them) can be tricky at times.

It looks like that but it's a fairly standard practice in the auto industry now. German cars, for example, had a bad reputation for being very difficult to maintain. So, they started making the design/engineer teams for a model handle the warranty cycle as well; meaning they moved onto the repair shop floors working with mechanics. 4 years later, and (in most cases) while they're still not simple for repairs, replacing a headlight no longer requires removing the engine.

Taking a few of the people who build X component through to maintenance/usage of X component can have a much bigger impact than sending back memos. Frankly, just breaking the disbelief that it's a part problem (rather than a problem with the people receiving them) can be tricky at times.

This concept applies to so many things.

The 504 is bursting at the seams. My guess is that when they tally up ridership, it’s going to be significantly higher than the 65,000/day before the pilot.

Is there a reason why they’re not putting all resources on to King given that a) it’s the busiest surface route and b) it’s now a dedicated transit corridor? Shouldn’t all new streetcars be put into service on King to satisfy passenger demand until all the CLRVs are replaced?

The 504 is bursting at the seams. My guess is that when they tally up ridership, it’s going to be significantly higher than the 65,000/day before the pilot.

Is there a reason why they’re not putting all resources on to King given that a) it’s the busiest surface route and b) it’s now a dedicated transit corridor? Shouldn’t all new streetcars be put into service on King to satisfy passenger demand until all the CLRVs are replaced?

I dare you to tell the people on Harbourfront, Spadina and St Clair that their nice new streetcars (along with some of the older ones) are being pulled to help ease overcrowding on King Street. I will save the locals the trouble and provide them with the lanterns and pitchforks in advance.

With that in mind a PORTION of the route is a dedicated transit corridor. The eastern and western arms of the route are not and adding more vehicles would only cause problems. You also need to factor in terminal capacity. You can only shoehorn so many cars into Broadview and Dundas West before you start pissing people off from waiting.

I wonder how 501 is compared to usual. If it's down, might be worthwhile moving all the ALRVs to 504.

Currently there are 27 ALRVs assigned to 501 and 33 CLRVs assigned to 504 in AM peak. (31 ALRVs and 33 CLRVs in PM peak).

I dare you to tell the people on Harbourfront, Spadina and St Clair that their nice new streetcars (along with some of the older ones) are being pulled to help ease overcrowding on King Street. I will save the locals the trouble and provide them with the lanterns and pitchforks in advance.

With that in mind a PORTION of the route is a dedicated transit corridor. The eastern and western arms of the route are not and adding more vehicles would only cause problems. You also need to factor in terminal capacity. You can only shoehorn so many cars into Broadview and Dundas West before you start pissing people off from waiting.

I live on Spadina. I rarely, if ever see the streetcars full. Besides, I'm not talking about pulling their streetcars. I'm suggesting delaying replacing the CLRVs on other routes until after the major passenger demand on the 504 is satisfied. The 504 is the busiest ground route in the entire TTC and you can barely get on a streetcar these days. That's a crisis. It needs to take priority.

DPRRIHmU8AAXMs9.jpg-large.jpeg

Photo: @jessicaecyoung on Twitter

Attachments

• DPRRIHmU8AAXMs9.jpg-large.jpeg
    DPRRIHmU8AAXMs9.jpg-large.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 434

Back