News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Maybe it's just me but can someone enlighten me as to why one of our streetcars is in the lake?
Its the GPS having issues and it happens on other cars as well

You seem to have a very narrow view of what Bombardier does.

The North American market is a very small part of their total sales. Just because they are late on two projects - the LFLRV and Metrolinx cars - doesn't mean that they are late on a whole host of others, especially when they are being built at completely different facilities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

After all Toronto is the center of the universe!!! :D

BBD Transportation (i.e. Rail) has annual revenue guidance of around $8.5b and in Q2 of 2017 won decent orders in France, UK, Taiwan and the US. And the merger of the competition will create opportunities for BBD if their competition is too busy finding integration savings.

BBD also has the CETA which will help them procure new EU contracts (Germany and France cannot favour their domestic producers anymore). (e.g. when France wants to expand the TGV it cannot give the contract on a sole sourced basis to Alstrom or else BBD can sue them under the CETA)

When you look at the balance sheet they have about $3b of free cash. With the substantial completion of their R&D into CS100/300 their cash burn of $500m/q should decrease to $0/q in the next year. (the cash burn is in Aviation...Rail generates positive cash of $100M-200M /q). They should be cash flow positive with about $1b to spare.

Time will only tell. Just because they had record sales does not mean they can deliver and if they cannot deliver the sales mean nothing. Delays and penalties add up, all those extra costs associated with fixing the delays amount to something.

They could have a record year for sales but if the amount of money they are losing across all divisions is greater than the amount of sales the company WILL go bust. Its not about the amount of sales... it is about the balance sheets.
I agree.

Record deliveries and record revenue and profit are what matters, not record orders. You don't judge a company's health by its order book of esssentially hypothetical business, but by its revenue and profit.

I agree.

Record deliveries and record revenue and profit are what matters, not record orders. You don't judge a company's health by its order book of esssentially hypothetical business, but by its revenue and profit.
Manufacturing Company A has just announced a new record for net income in a fiscal year.....but in its guidance notes that it's order book is nearly empty.

Across the street, It's main competitor sheepishly releases its financials showing a Billion dollar loss, but notes it's sales are up and their order book is full for the next five years

Which of those companies' stocks has a better day on the market?

A company has to balance it's focus on orders with a view on profits.....and how the balance is established varies according to the industry.....but capital intensive manufacturers with long delivery time frames (like rail and air companies) have a high sensitivity to their order book.....

In the case of BBD, high new sales levels are very important to the company's market valuation......why do you think the air / rail business announces every single new order they receive to the world?

This may be old news, but I saw a Flexity using it's Pantograph entering the Exhibition across Strachan today. First time for me.

This may be old news, but I saw a Flexity using it's Pantograph entering the Exhibition across Strachan today. First time for me.
the ones on the 509 route have been using them since September 12th. there using it as the test route as it dosen't have as many interchanges with areas of the network that aren't wired for them. They start in service from the barn with the trolly pole up but swap once they get to Exabtion loop for the first time.

Not really, it's just that Richard White's reference to the Edmond Fitzgerald reminded me of the Gordon Lightfoot classic. I just thought it was funny, the thought of a flexity at the bottom of a lake, and the ballad immortalizing the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was not my intention to offend, but now I know that Gitche Gumee refers to Lake Erie( or Lake Superior). Thanks.

4446 is tracking and is out for testing on 510 northbound. 4444 & 4445 still in the service bays.

Any word on 4447???

4445 arrived Sept 19 and 16 days later enter service at 3:15 pm on King St at River. At 3:55 pm, it arrived at Dufferin Loop on 514. It left the yard just after 3 pm today

4444 is still in the service bay that arrived on Sept 14, 5 days before 4445.

4446 was up on St Clair at 2 am as I head to bed this morning. Out for the 2nd time. It currently in the service bay and may enter service by Oct 10 if there is no problems with it.

No idea if 4447 is in transit or not

Back