News   Apr 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 449     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

We need that additional 60 asap

At the rate Toronto is growing (the core of the city especially), 60 streetcars won't even be close to adequate. Perhaps if the Relief Line West is built, but not otherwise. 1 Million new Torontonains in the next 20 years with the plurality of them locating Downtown. All these new people, with no way to move them around. We have a really, really big problem here, and policy makers are totally oblivious to it

A friend told me the Star had it that the last of the new streetcars are to be delivered to Hillcrest by Wednesday. Is this 4603 or 4401 or both? I figure I’ll go out and watch the proceedings tomorrow afternoon.

As of this morning, 4601 was at the unloading ramp and 4603 was at Lambton waiting its 15 minutes of fame.

- Paul

So I’m guessing that means they’ll deliver 4603 tomorrow - given it seems to take a couple or hours or so for the yard crew at Lambton to do the move... and they can’t do that until the previous delivery is clear...

4602 is tracking and westbound on Queen St E nearing Broadview testing

4601 was off loaded today

4603 will be off loaded Wed

4401 who knows when we will see it.

Failure rate is 41,890 km contract wise, but 12,245 km operational

Last edited:
4401 who knows when we will see it.

This is actually important, historically at least. When 4603 is delivered and commissioned, TTC will have accepted 203 Flexities. And the order for 204 will not be complete.

The last car of the order is 4401. As of today, it is still owned by Bombardier.

4401 has never carried a revenue passenger. At this moment, it is a demonstrator, but not a production vehicle.

That may sound pedantic, but there you are.

- Paul

At the rate Toronto is growing (the core of the city especially), 60 streetcars won't even be close to adequate. Perhaps if the Relief Line West is built, but not otherwise. 1 Million new Torontonains in the next 20 years with the plurality of them locating Downtown. All these new people, with no way to move them around. We have a really, really big problem here, and policy makers are totally oblivious to it

Oh, they're not oblivious to it. They just don't care. This is a problem that'll reach a critical point in a couple of decades. Most of those politicians will be far from this mess by then.

60 cars is better than nothing, also worth noting that it's 1/3rd of the money for 60 new cars. Presumably they're hoping the Province and Feds put in an additional 1/3rd each.

But as always, the city is just being reactive, not proactive. We need to be ordering way more cars than that if we are actually planning for the future.

Back