News   Jul 08, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 632     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Pantographs are definitely the way to go. Funny thing was that as a child I used to enjoy watching the trolley poles navigate turns and the "clickety clack" sounds they would make at junctions. And of course the inevitable disengagements and watching the poles swinging freely.
You are right that (for the TTC) pantographs are the way to go but this is primarily because the new streetcars need more power and the old wiring and the trolley poles cannot provide it well. If overhead is properly maintained trolley poles should not become disconnected and even with the TTC it was not a common occurrence.

Well, tomorrow is likely when they will be deployed to the 501.
Yes, it's been Sundays that they appear on 501. But today (Sunday) at noon there's only 12 Flexities on 501, along with 22 CLRVs and 2 ALRVs. Last week at this time there were also only 12 Flexities (and 26 CLRVs). The previous Sunday at this time there were 12 Flexities (23 CLRVs and 2 ALRVs).

So they simply seem to have used less Flexities this weekend, and not only is there not a ton of extra Flexities on 501 this weekend. It's the same as the previous weekends.

Which does surprise me.

Total cars in service right now (according to tracker at least), 57 Flexities, 38 CLRVs (the remainder are on 506), and the 2 ALRVs.

Just because they are part of parades that doesn't make them popular nor important. Can you provide any evidence that these relics are popular in any way at all?
Surely, coming into a group full of transit fans, in a city that has committed to preserving these old cars, and is making plans for a transit museum that will be connected to the streetcar network, and making comments like this is trolling!

Surely, coming into a group full of transit fans, in a city that has committed to preserving these old cars, and is making plans for a transit museum that will be connected to the streetcar network, and making comments like this is trolling!

I never give you any credit for posting anything pertinent, accurate or logical, so I'm not terribly surprised at your message, however I must comment that just because someone posts on a transit board isn't logically consistent with the notion that said posters MUST be fans of decrepit ugly old rolling stock.

In with the new and out (permanently) with the old. Like Flexities.

You should also look up the definition of trolling before engaging in it and then accusing someone else of doing that.

Yes, it's been Sundays that they appear on 501. But today (Sunday) at noon there's only 12 Flexities on 501, along with 22 CLRVs and 2 ALRVs. Last week at this time there were also only 12 Flexities (and 26 CLRVs). The previous Sunday at this time there were 12 Flexities (23 CLRVs and 2 ALRVs).

So they simply seem to have used less Flexities this weekend, and not only is there not a ton of extra Flexities on 501 this weekend. It's the same as the previous weekends.

Which does surprise me.

Total cars in service right now (according to tracker at least), 57 Flexities, 38 CLRVs (the remainder are on 506), and the 2 ALRVs.

There is a way more than 12 at the moment on the 501. There must be at least 20 out on the 501, I can't really make sense of it on my NextBus tracker because I am on a phone, but either way, majority of them are on the Humber-Neville section. I personally am really interested whenever the Flexities get out on the 501, mainly because of how long it is.

There is a way more than 12 at the moment on the 501. There must be at least 20 out on the 501, I can't really make sense of it on my NextBus tracker because I am on a phone, but either way, majority of them are on the Humber-Neville section. I personally am really interested whenever the Flexities get out on the 501, mainly because of how long it is.
I see 13 Flexity on 501, with one heading to Long Branch Loop.

Just because they are part of parades that doesn't make them popular nor important. Can you provide any evidence that these relics are popular in any way at all?
People literally freeze and stare when one of the PCCs go by. There's always people snapping photos on their phone. When they're out in service, it's not uncommon for them to be crush loaded. Despite the exorbitant price, people still charter a PCC for weddings, bar hopping, etc. I am willing to say they are popular. They are also an important part of our city's history.

Looking at the tracker right now - The number of Flexities increases from 12 to 13 since noon. But the number of CLRVs increased from 22 to 34, while ALRVs dropped from 2 to 1.

I suppose there could be more out there that aren't on the tracker ... but 48 cars in service on 501 are already more than the 46 that are scheduled in the afternoon (perhaps they are changing a couple off). (only 22 are scheduled on Sunday mornings, and 15 on early Sunday mornings. Presumably the 36 I observed at noon were while they were still ramping up.

The most I've noticed out on a Sunday was 70, with 12 on 512. Now we have 59 with none on 512. So maybe there's one or two extra Flexities out on 501.

Just drove up Eastern/Kingston Road - was amusing to sit at the light, and watch an ALRV, a Flexity, and then a CLRV pass in front of us! An unusual sight these days near Woodbine!

Last edited:
I never give you any credit for posting anything pertinent, accurate or logical, so I'm not terribly surprised at your message, however I must comment that just because someone posts on a transit board isn't logically consistent with the notion that said posters MUST be fans of decrepit ugly old rolling stock.

In with the new and out (permanently) with the old. Like Flexities.

You should also look up the definition of trolling before engaging in it and then accusing someone else of doing that.

Apparently old police vehicles or fire trucks aren't popular in parades either? Should public funds support museums and galleries full of old art?

Looking at the tracker right now - The number of Flexities increases from 12 to 13 since noon. But the number of CLRVs increased from 22 to 34, while ALRVs dropped from 2 to 1.

I suppose there could be more out there that aren't on the tracker ... but 48 cars in service on 501 are already more than the 46 that are scheduled in the afternoon (perhaps they are changing a couple off). (only 22 are scheduled on Sunday mornings, and 15 on early Sunday mornings. Presumably the 36 I observed at noon were while they were still ramping up.

The most I've noticed out on a Sunday was 70, with 12 on 512. Now we have 59 with none on 512. So maybe there's one or two extra Flexities out on 501.

Just drove up Eastern/Kingston Road - was amusing to sit at the light, and watch an ALRV, a Flexity, and then a CLRV pass in front of us! An unusual sight these days near Woodbine![/QUOTE

The 512 has ran with shuttles since Friday evening due to pantograph work. If I'm not wrong, when the 512 returns tomorrow, it might be running with pantographs. What you mentioned seeing a CLRV, ALRV and Flexity is definitely rare, as that corner Monday-Saturday just sees CLRV'S and ALRV's, with the Flexity's appearing obviously just on Sundays on the 501. Again, as I have said before, it's interesting seeing the TTC decide to run Flexity's on the 501 as it is a long route.

Pantographs are definitely the way to go. Funny thing was that as a child I used to enjoy watching the trolley poles navigate turns and the "clickety clack" sounds they would make at junctions. And of course the inevitable disengagements and watching the poles swinging freely.
On one of Steves blog post he mentioned somewhere that the TTC has purchased Pantographs for the PCC's, he was unsure if they have one for the Whitt though.

How many Flexities have we received now? Is Bombardier still on track with their revised (revision #X) timeline?

Back