News   Apr 26, 2024
 533     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 693     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The AC vent was dripping water by the 2nd fare machine on people, with a pool of water on the floor there. First car I have seen with this issue.
I've seen that with one or two as well as some SRT cars it could be just that the comparser was having a hard time becuse of heat outside

There are currently 11 LRVs on the 501.
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 5.32.14 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 5.32.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 5.32.14 PM.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 522
I've seen that with one or two as well as some SRT cars it could be just that the comparser was having a hard time becuse of heat outside

If the AC is collecting water, the compressor is working just fine. Lots of cooling condensing the humid air.
It’s the drain from the condensor that is compromised somehow.
Just like your car putting water on your feet, or your fridge icing up - check the drain!

- Paul

And for the first time ever, a Flexity saw service west of Humber on the 501. 4479 was doing service late Sunday evening between Humber Loop and Long Branch.
They have to treat all the riders that never gets to hope on brand new test cars

4497 is at Hillcrest for unloading, 4498 is en route.

I wonder when we will see the hundredth car - 4499.

- Paul

I wonder if this pace is sustainable. We are seeing such a quick turnout for the cars compared to previous months.. it's as though they are rushing it incase they have to cease production suddenly.

I wonder if this pace is sustainable. We are seeing such a quick turnout for the cars compared to previous months.. it's as though they are rushing it incase they have to cease production suddenly.
Ah, that's TYPICAL UTer talk. Things are always too fast or too slow, too tall or not tall enough etc etc.

The pace is close enough to what was promised when the contract was signed..... so it’s simply Bombardier getting on with the job. When production at the second plant comes on line, the pace will be even quicker, but that’s only catchup.

I’m sure Bombardier wants to wrap this contract up, but not out of fear of cancellation. Their fixed costs must have gone way over budget. They have paid a workforce for much longer than ever planned or budgeted.

If they deliver at a solid rate for the rest of the order, they take a ball game they were losing 6-0 and at least close it up - maybe never making it a win, but at least not a blowout.

- Paul

Last edited:
The current pace does make you wonder where they are cutting corners on quality...
Did you also think that the very slow pace earlier was because they were being VERY VERY meticulous? Though the TTC clearly want more streetcars I doubt strongly they would sign-off on imperfect cars.

Did you also think that the very slow pace earlier was because they were being VERY VERY meticulous? Though the TTC clearly want more streetcars I doubt strongly they would sign-off on imperfect cars.
cars that can’t make their 35000 MDBF target though...

cars that can’t make their 35000 MDBF target though...
They have yet to make the 18,000 mark after 90 cars.

Then, why did 4489 take almost 2 months to be in service, let alone the 21+ days this year, up from 12 days last year??

4497 offf loaded today

Last edited:
The current pace does make you wonder where they are cutting corners on quality...

Considering that the TTC has people hired to supervise and monitor the construction process in Thunder Bay, and to get Bombardier to redo anything that they aren't happy with, than any corners that they are managing to cut are going to be very well hidden - if they exist.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back