News   Apr 24, 2024
 712     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 947     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 564     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

So while our building (we live in the area) has separate sanitary and storm sewer systems (including a storm water management cistern) with separate lines going out of the building - that would mean that both our sanitary and storm sewer lines could be connecting into a City combined sanitary and storm sewer line. If so - kind of defeats the purpose of having separate lines throughout our building - but it does position things should the City get around, at some future date, installing separate storm sewer lines in this area.

I don't know your address or the exact choices made for it.

I can tell you that for newer buildings the City has required on-site stormwater management.

That means the requirement to minimize it and then to not let excess flow overload the combined/sanitary sewer system (on-site storage).

This means a building approved today (or in recent times), in theory, should not be a contributor to overflows.

If the water is released into the system later, it can be fully treated. Overflows only occur during storm events.

I haven't had a chance to look up all the images I do have for the sewer system.

But I found this one online that gives a general sense of things. This is from ecospark.ca

Old_Toronto_Sewershed.jpg

Excuse me?

If there's anything I can't stand its someone who has no clue what he's talking about, attempting to correct me.
I hate to break it to you, but not only am I a civil engineer, but I've actually taught courses on sewer design.

The only correction I provided is that it's now less than 90%.

Your own number is also less than 90%.

I have no idea what the issue here is!

Getting back to the streetcars, I rode 4470 all the way up Kingston Road to Bingham loop this afternoon as a 503.
3F8CA5E6-7F5F-4A67-AC13-EED97811F18B.jpeg
2C22D0ED-D960-4692-AAD1-DDE36F37042E.jpeg
0D982802-190A-4B5B-BAAD-1DFD67C41D86.jpeg
E533616B-F1F0-419A-B79D-9408C0A7D2B6.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F8CA5E6-7F5F-4A67-AC13-EED97811F18B.jpeg
    3F8CA5E6-7F5F-4A67-AC13-EED97811F18B.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 2C22D0ED-D960-4692-AAD1-DDE36F37042E.jpeg
    2C22D0ED-D960-4692-AAD1-DDE36F37042E.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 0D982802-190A-4B5B-BAAD-1DFD67C41D86.jpeg
    0D982802-190A-4B5B-BAAD-1DFD67C41D86.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 285
  • E533616B-F1F0-419A-B79D-9408C0A7D2B6.jpeg
    E533616B-F1F0-419A-B79D-9408C0A7D2B6.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 318
At least parts will be readily available for these two units. :)

Seriously though, there was a quote somewhere that confirmed a lot of sewage was left in the units when they went back to Leslie. 99% sure the water contained sewage.

Cool! I wondered when that would happen ... I caught a couple today (sigh, and forgot not to tap on the "503" after getting off a 504) - but both CLRVs!
That was a first for me. An all Flexity ride from work in Liberty Village to home (504 short turn to Sumach and the 503 Tripper). Only another three or four years until I can do that daily.

TTC has stated that raw sewage made its way into the cars and will require full cleaning and inspections. This was on Twitter. The trucks will have to be either replace or wait until various major parts are replace, but need to dry out first after being wash down. Not sure if TTC has any or enough trucks on hand to replace the current ones and then overhaul the current ones for future use.

It's depressing to think of one of our pretty new streetcars filled with poo.
Those cars only arrived and enter service in April this year. Less than 4 month old.

The trucks and underframe are brand new and are painted and coated to resist exposure over longer periods to harsher agents such as road salt etc. I’m skeptical that one diluted poo-soaking would lead to their replacement. Strip them down and power wash, sure.

Getting the odour producing material out of every nook and cranny is the challenge. Anyone with a house pet knows how odour works in humid weather. I’m not knowledgeable about how Flexities’ HVAC is laid out but I bet there are heater grids along the baseboards somewhere. There’s your odour nightmare. Is there innsulation between the interior surfaces and the carbody? That kind of stuff might have to be replaced.

Bottom line - strip to painted metal, scrub, order some new parts, reassemble. But the trucks and body shells will be fine.

- Paul

Then change the SOP. If heavy rains are predicted (and they were), do not enter flood prone underpasses unless you have a clear run to the other side. If this can not be assured, stop the vehicle and call for support. The TTC field staff or TPS can then clear traffic at the half dozen spots where streetcars go below grade outside of a ROW.

There are a set of traffic lights at both ends of the underpass. Under what you propose, we wouldn't have streetcars running under the underpass any time it rains.

If the water was less than 3 inches, what disabled the automobile in front?

It was less than 3 inches as the streetcar entered the underpass, but my understanding was that the level increased quite quickly as they proceeded through. I don't know what the specific fault was that resulted in the auto becoming disabled, but the operator had full control of the vehicle's functions until after they had to stop.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back