News   Dec 03, 2021
 103     0 
News   Dec 02, 2021
 2.6K     4 
News   Dec 02, 2021
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
4483 has reached Hillcrest, and the next one is ready to go at Thunder Bay.

They are starting to arrive......like streetcars.

- Paul
That leaves 3 more by June 22.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have not heard one single politician tying additional transit services to the 3 or 4 matches to be played in Toronto. That may change....but a big part of the United bid was that each of the cities presented was pretty much ready now to host and that they were a far more lower risk (and higher profit) proposition to host the tournament than Morocco who's bid was full of new build stadiums and infrastructure.

IMO there is much to criticize about the joint bid.....but this is not the typical mega sport bid where billions and billions of additional infrastructure is needed/promised.
Both Fifa and the IOC are trying to go with a model now where they can give it to a city or country where they don't end up having to build large-scale infrastructure that will only be used a few times and then sit empty.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone sure that it was 4483 that arrived and off loaded today for sure, as the GPS for 4466 is activated and shows the car on the test track at Hillcrest, not across the street like it has since it left. Or did 4466 & 4483 come down on the same train??

Last edited:

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
4466 currently eastbound on Queen east Near Spadina Ave so say the trackers.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
4483 has reached Hillcrest, and the next one is ready to go at Thunder Bay.

I didn't have a visual on the car number, sorry. Only the news that a car was there yesterday morning, and I added one to the previous delivery, forgetting that 4466 was still out there.

So 4483 may still be in the Bay.

- Paul

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Regardless if 4466 is here or not, TTC needs 4 more cars on their property by June 29 to meet Q2 schedule.

I was expecting to see 4465 back this month. Since it was supposed to have gone a few things before returning, we should see it in service by June 25.

Wonder why the source in TB not posting anymore on shipments???

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Regardless if 4466 is here or not, TTC needs 4 more cars on their property by June 29 to meet Q2 schedule.

I was expecting to see 4465 back this month. Since it was supposed to have gone a few things before returning, we should see it in service by June 25.

Wonder why the source in TB not posting anymore on shipments???

Perhaps the higher ups got wind of these updates?

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Doesn't seem transportation requirements would be any higher than for the Pan Am games.
For 4 soccer games in a 45,000 capacity stadium, over 3 weeks? Probably a lot less.

Transportation requirements would be about the same over those weeks, as a single four-day Blue Jays home stand!

Given the timing of these things, I'd expect we'd mostly have mid-day or afternoon games too. Probably on a Tuesday June 16, Friday June 19, Sunday June 27, and Sunday July 4, 2026 if the proposed schedule in the bid package holds up.

This is pretty minor as far as Toronto transportation infrastructure goes! If they go for 12:30 pm starts again this time for the week day games, the games would be finished by 2:30 pm, and wouldn't even impact rush hour.

It would be nice if they finish the additional 2 pedestrian tunnels and third platform at Exhibition by then ... but that's already planned.

I expect they'll run some extra trains and streetcars, just like they do for other events at BMO Field. Easy enough off-peak.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Why is this noteworthy?
Sure it is as note by others, since this still not a TTC car yet and it was supposed to be in Q 1 schedule. It was put on a flat on March 21, but wasn't pickup by CP until around the 28th. Took 2 months to fix the damage.

As I type this, its sitting on the test track at Hillcrest and assuming it out for test already. Not surprise it happening so soon and may see it in service by June 22.

4480 & 4481 have been out for testing on the Queensway, as well King & Queen today. Both are in the service bay now

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
For 4 soccer games in a 45,000 capacity stadium, over 3 weeks? Probably a lot less.

Transportation requirements would be about the same over those weeks, as a single four-day Blue Jays home stand!

Given the timing of these things, I'd expect we'd mostly have mid-day or afternoon games too. Probably on a Tuesday June 16, Friday June 19, Sunday June 27, and Sunday July 4, 2026 if the proposed schedule in the bid package holds up.

This is pretty minor as far as Toronto transportation infrastructure goes! If they go for 12:30 pm starts again this time for the week day games, the games would be finished by 2:30 pm, and wouldn't even impact rush hour.

It would be nice if they finish the additional 2 pedestrian tunnels and third platform at Exhibition by then ... but that's already planned.

I expect they'll run some extra trains and streetcars, just like they do for other events at BMO Field. Easy enough off-peak.
They may also have the new 509 connection to Dufferin St built as well. They will still have to add a few more 509 cars and may introduce a Dundas West to the Ex by the way of Dufferin.

Any afternoon game going to have an impact on TTC service as well GO. GO maybe running special trains to deal with the larger crowds and sure hope they do.

Going to be fun time down there with larger crowds than what we see today and will need all 3 tunnels to deal with it