News   Aug 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 803     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

If standing, looks like you have to press the button for them.
I sometimes do that and people look at you oddly as if they have never seen such a thing.

It was the same when the buses got rid of the treadle steps and replace them with push bars. Have to push the push bar for them. Maybe in a couple of decades they'll learn, but by then they'll change the push bars on the buses with push buttons, like the new streetcars.
Even with the push bars people still will yell at the driver to open the backdoors, although sometimes it is because they haven't unlocked them.

According to a person I talked to about this it's "un Canadian" for people to have to push a button...

Clearly this person has never used the C-Train in Calgary, where pushing a button is the norm. Would that make them "un-Canadian"...

It's getting rather ridiculous having the driver open every door at a stop. If this is truly about a learning curve with passengers, put an instruction sticker beside the button, just like they have at the rear doors on buses. If a passenger misses their stop once because they neglected to push the door button, they'll sure as hell remember to push it the next time. Opening every door only really makes sense at busy stops.

Btw, I wonder how many people have noticed that you can activate the stop request by pushing the button on the door while the vehicle is in motion.

...by then they'll change the push bars on the buses with push buttons, like the new streetcars.

Nimetön.jpg

Apparently, newer Novas in Montreal already have a button for the rear doors. I'm kinda surprised the TTC didn't order their buses with this feature. Imo, the TR subway trains should've been ordered with passenger-activated doors as well.

Attachments

• Nimetön.jpg
    Nimetön.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 216
TTC not operating streetcars on 512 today due to the ice storm
I am going to suppose that there is some concern about getting a 100 tonne streetcar up the Bathurst St hill, or plunging down it and though the Dovercourt intersection later today.

Gratuitous comment. Wychwood Barns / St Clair Carhouse.

I am going to suppose that there is some concern about getting a 100 tonne streetcar up the Bathurst St hill, or plunging down it and though the Dovercourt intersection later today.

No, it has something to do with them not being able to ensure that streetcar wires outside of downtown are clear of Ice, they even have buses running on 501 from Nevel park loop to downtown.

They have push buttons on metros and light rail all around the world. Guess we have people who never use public transit outside of Toronto.

Must be because we have passengers who can't read the signs, watch as others operate the button, or experiment with the buttons to see what it does. How did they ever figure out how to use a touch screen on a smart phone.

You don't even have to travel that far. All of Ottawa's existing and future trains have push button doors since the start of the O-Train pilot project back in 2001.

That being said it's a new thing to Torontonians, and anything new always generates piles of complaints.

Was in Detroit on Friday and rode the QLine. The drivers open and close the door when there is a push button on the doors.

Then, the cars were only stopping on request or picking up riders saving battery power. Downside that one car we were wouldn't stop upon request since none of the stop request buttons were working as well the ones on the door.

Buffalo cars doors only open when you push the door button either inside or outside. Same goes for the Tide in Norfolk.

Every Tram I rode in Europe, you had to push the button to get on or off.

Ridership is poor and 3 riders got a $100 tickets for not paying their fare

You have to hit a button to open the UP-X Doors.

Only while it's sitting waiting at the station, and mainly at Pearson in my experience. Not the case at Bloor and Weston, at those stations it opens the doors, waits a few seconds, and closes them. At Union it seems to leave them open as layover times are generally under 10 minutes. Only at Pearson do they make regular use of the buttons.

4471 is in service on 514 after being here 16 days.

They've never had an issue with it before when they ran trailers up and down the hill.

(And for the record, the Flexities are less than half of that 100 tonnes.)

The reason that they've given for keeping the streetcars off of St Clair in treacherous weather conditions - which is new for this year, by the way - is that because of the distances from the carhouses/divisions, there is the possibility of operators getting delayed getting out there to take over the streetcars - which could cause delays on the route if a car gets stranded at the station without an operator.

Silly, I know....but I'm not the one that makes up or enforces these things.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back