News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

When the streetcar fleet is all LF this paradigm should be changed to enable only. If people can figure out to press on a bar on a bus rear door, or to stand on a step to open a high floor streetcar rear door, they can learn to push a damn button. If not - a whole bunch of worker hours was spent wiring them for no benefit, and a great deal of energy used by the streetcar fleet for heating or cooling wasted.

True, but what seems so simple to you and I the general public just don't get. Currently, it takes longer to just come to a stop and press the enable button waiting for anybody boarding or exiting to press the button on the door closest to them. They just stand there waiting for it to open. Even when we get on the PA telling them what to do, they still just stand there. If they see a door open at the other end of the car, they'll run to that door and charge it when they could have just pushed the button to open the door right in front of them. All of this confusion is avoided by just opening all of the doors.

True, but what seems so simple to you and I the general public just don't get. Currently, it takes longer to just come to a stop and press the enable button waiting for anybody boarding or exiting to press the button on the door closest to them. They just stand there waiting for it to open. Even when we get on the PA telling them what to do, they still just stand there. If they see a door open at the other end of the car, they'll run to that door and charge it when they could have just pushed the button to open the door right in front of them. All of this confusion is avoided by just opening all of the doors.

We have to start somewhere though - people learn once the critical mass of people know about the buttons. Many metro lines in Europe operate this way and everyone gets along just fine. I'd trade some confusion now for a future where it becomes rare that people don't know they have to request that the door opens...

Monday morning at 7.25 and none of 4469-4472 have left Leslie - hopefully 69 will sneak out into service at some point today with 4473 waiting to come down from Hillcrest and join the commissioning queue.

Monday morning at 7.25 and none of 4469-4472 have left Leslie - hopefully 69 will sneak out into service at some point today with 4473 waiting to come down from Hillcrest and join the commissioning queue.
4472 has been burning up the tracks the last few days to the point from my view, burn in is done. I guess the water issues was minor. It may see service before 4469/70 before the week is out. 12 days since arrival.

What is up on 4469 is unknown to the point it been in the east end of the yard the last 24 hours. 28 days and counting since arrival. Been expecting it to enter service since April 1st.

4470 been in the same spot in the service bay, with tracker saying last seen a day ago. It has done its burn in like 4469. 21 days since arrival and should be ready for service.

4471 is still in the service bay and has yet to do any burn in based on what I have seen so far. 7 days since arrival with April 22 being an in service time frame window.

4473 could see service about April 29/30 based on current time frame this year.

Will we see more cars this month, or will they be push in to the next 2 months??

Last edited:
We have to start somewhere though - people learn once the critical mass of people know about the buttons. Many metro lines in Europe operate this way and everyone gets along just fine. I'd trade some confusion now for a future where it becomes rare that people don't know they have to request that the door opens...
According to a person I talked to about this it's "un Canadian" for people to have to push a button even after I made arguments about it saving energey by not having all of the dpoors open and letting heat opr AC escaper he still insted it was worng. Unfortunately the general population that rides the TTC are idiots like for example they think that a shuttle bus for the subway will stop at a regular bus stop if they use the stop request or they think that pushing/ pulling the stop request will somehow make the driver do something (one person informed me that when you push the button the driver hears a buzz in his headset).

4469 is supposed to be in service on 510 today. 31 days since arrival and the longest so far.

Will we see 4470 or 4472 tomorrow?

4471 was out for testing a few days ago for the 2nd time.

And they drive, vote and procreate.

We're doomed...

These are the same people that stand at the front of the bus, or block the rear door, no matter how many empty seats there are in the back, then get offended when you ask, increasing in level each time: "Excuse me please". Of course, the most absent ones with headphones on have to be physically cued that you want to get past them, and then get offended when pushed out of the way, backpack and all.

What have we wrought? Facebook anyone?

Last edited:
You would think that the software on the Flexities can be reprogrammed to operate more efficiently. Oh wait, it's Bombardier. ;)
I believe it's probably the same programming on the European models it's just that the people in Toronto aren't used to having to push a bitton to open a door and as the person that is an opertor said that even when the tell peol over te PA to push the button they don't do it. I haver even told people to do it and they look at you funny as if you don't know waht you are talking about.

I believe it's probably the same programming on the European models it's just that the people in Toronto aren't used to having to push a bitton to open a door and as the person that is an opertor said that even when the tell peol over te PA to push the button they don't do it. I haver even told people to do it and they look at you funny as if you don't know waht you are talking about.

If standing, looks like you have to press the button for them.

It was the same when the buses got rid of the treadle steps and replace them with push bars. Have to push the push bar for them. Maybe in a couple of decades they'll learn, but by then they'll change the push bars on the buses with push buttons, like the new streetcars.

If standing, looks like you have to press the button for them.

It was the same when the buses got rid of the treadle steps and replace them with push bars. Have to push the push bar for them. Maybe in a couple of decades they'll learn, but by then they'll change the push bars on the buses with push buttons, like the new streetcars.
Now all I can see are people pushing the buttons with their palms in order to push open the streetcar door. :mad:

Back