News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 274     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 807     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

o/t, but was interested if anyone had an answer to this question because I was curious. With the CLRVs, were the vehicles ever designed to be convertible to utilize high-platform? Not by TTC or anything, rather from the corporation that created them for global sales. As in: the steps would be removed, floor extended, doors raised so that it allows level boarding with a subway-like high platform. Have a fleeting memory of reading this once, but not sure if it's true.

o/t, but was interested if anyone had an answer to this question because I was curious. With the CLRVs, were the vehicles ever designed to be convertible to utilize high-platform? Not by TTC or anything, rather from the corporation that created them for global sales. As in: the steps would be removed, floor extended, doors raised so that it allows level boarding with a subway-like high platform. Have a fleeting memory of reading this once, but not sure if it's true.

Theoretically possible even today but why would you? Why turn a streetcar into a subway?

Even when the SRT was under construction they were building the platforms lower than what they are today, only when the Mark I trains were considered did they raise the platform. I doubt there is a system in the world that has high level streetcar platforms.

Theoretically possible even today but why would you? Why turn a streetcar into a subway?

Even when the SRT was under construction they were building the platforms lower than what they are today, only when the Mark I trains were considered did they raise the platform. I doubt there is a system in the world that has high level streetcar platforms.
Manchester in the UK had a few until they converted their fleet to low floor only cars. Also buffalo has platforms in the street for wheelchair access to one of the doors on the train.

Manchester in the UK had a few until they converted their fleet to low floor only cars. Also buffalo has platforms in the street for wheelchair access to one of the doors on the train.

That's the thing, due to accessibility requirements in most parts of the world high floor LRV's, Streetcars etc are going the way of the dodo. As more and more high floor cars age and become surplus they are replaced by low floor cars requiring low platforms. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once you open it.

That's the thing, due to accessibility requirements in most parts of the world high floor LRV's, Streetcars etc are going the way of the dodo. As more and more high floor cars age and become surplus they are replaced by low floor cars requiring low platforms. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once you open it.
Buffalo may be harder to do that as underground it boards with all doors level with the platform. But yes most places are now converting to low floor only cars.

For instance like the pre-ICTS Line 3 plans. Early iterations had some street-running, but this gradually evolved to full grade-separation between Kennedy and McCowan. Little point using a high-floor/low-platform vehicle in such an instance just because it increases loading time. We still could use the CLRV, but more optimally with a high-floor/high-platform setup. And I guess general LRT lines that use high-platforms like found across the globe. Still may have large street-running segments, but with high platforms.

Not so much interested in if it was theoretically possible with the CLRV, rather curious if it was in fact part of its design that it could be transitioned between the two. Possible that I misremember.

Unlikely, at least in the design as was built for the TTC. The front door is on the taper, and a high-level platform with no steps would result in a massive gap between the car and the platform.

Manchester's fleet is entirely high-floor, and they use exclusively high-level platforms for level boarding.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The BRT system in Cape Town is all high-floor bus via dedicated transit platforms. I was there recently and noticed it. I guess there are probably other systems of BRT that have this set up, but I do remembering how funny the bus doors looked :D

Unlikely, at least in the design as was built for the TTC. The front door is on the taper, and a high-level platform with no steps would result in a massive gap between the car and the platform.

Ah, figured there was something obvious I wasn't thinking about. But the taper on the front sort of solves that one.

The BRT system in Cape Town is all high-floor bus via dedicated transit platforms. I was there recently and noticed it. I guess there are probably other systems of BRT that have this set up, but I do remembering how funny the bus doors looked :D

Interesting for a BRT. But no doubt merit. A nice level vehicle with little wonkiness on the interior, bumps capacity and improves passenger flow.

Interesting for a BRT. But no doubt merit. A nice level vehicle with little wonkiness on the interior, bumps capacity and improves passenger flow.

This is a very common design in South American BRT systems. It definitely improves passenger flows and bus capacity, and probably also means cheaper buses, due to being a more traditional non-low-floor design. Some of the bi-articulated buses are almost as long as the Flexities, with similar capacities. I think the ones on TransMilenio in Bogota are 25 m long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransMilenio

This is a very common design in South American BRT systems. It definitely improves passenger flows and bus capacity, and probably also means cheaper buses, due to being a more traditional non-low-floor design. Some of the bi-articulated buses are almost as long as the Flexities, with similar capacities. I think the ones on TransMilenio in Bogota are 25 m long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransMilenio
Volvo is offering a 30m biarticulated bus which in 2016 they claimed was the world's longest http://www.volvobuses.com/en-en/news/2016/nov/volvo-launches-the-world-largest-bus.html

Back