News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Do they usually announce new car plants at car dealerships or where the new plant will actually be built? As long as we get our streetcars, let Thunder Bay have their glory and let's not be typically anal-retentive Toronto.
Exactly - who cares where the announcement is, so long as we have the funding.

I agree with that sentiment for sure; I was just lamenting the fact that we have to pretend that the benefits are for, you know, somewhere else in order to wring money out of 'senior' governments.

But anyway, the strategy clearly worked. Miller has played this one nicely.

The Globe and Star seem to say conflicting things about federal participation--Globe says none, Star says it's unconfirmed and hints Harper will be there. Hmmmmmm.....

The Globe and Star seem to say conflicting things about federal participation--Globe says none, Star says it's unconfirmed and hints Harper will be there. Hmmmmmm.....

Perhaps the province decided to hop on Miller's bandwagon of forcing action. It would be an embarassment to the feds, especially after everything that has happened in the past two weeks, to be left out of this deal. Imagine the endless press conferences, announcements and ribbon cuttings that will come with this contract over the next five years, all without a single federal governemnt official. I think if McGuinty just dropped a hint or two that they planned to go ahead without the feds, it would send them into panic mode.

Perhaps the province decided to hop on Miller's bandwagon of forcing action. It would be an embarassment to the feds, especially after everything that has happened in the past two weeks, to be left out of this deal. Imagine the endless press conferences, announcements and ribbon cuttings that will come with this contract over the next five years, all without a single federal governemnt official. I think if McGuinty just dropped a hint or two that they planned to go ahead without the feds, it would send them into panic mode.

Headline: Dalton McGuinty saves Toronto: Ontario to carry the Federal government's portion for Toronto's streetcar bid.

If that comes out then we know that Toronto and Thunder Bay ain't gonna be voting conservatives in the next 8 years.

And then the next headline says. Toronto left out on federal infrastructure program.

not good.

Last edited:
LOL - they they'd have to find another project to spend $300-million on quick.

Part of the problem, is the Town of Red Neck might be able to quickly add a paving project. But, it's difficult for a large city, with many projects on the go, simply to add $300-million in construction quickly; partially because there is such huge infrastructure spending already going on. If you look at the budget, many years Toronto and TTC don't spend all of what they had planned too, because of various delays.

So you need a big project or two. Short of throwing all the money to speed up the Waterfront development projects, it's hard to think what they'd spend it on quickly.

Though there is still the $700-million or so that the Feds promised in 2003 for the upgrades on the Georgetown GO Line, and to Pearson Airport ... that hasn't started to flow yet ... and might start later in 2009, if they can get through the EA process.

LOL - they they'd have to find another project to spend $300-million on quick.

Part of the problem, is the Town of Red Neck might be able to quickly add a paving project. But, it's difficult for a large city, with many projects on the go, simply to add $300-million in construction quickly; partially because there is such huge infrastructure spending already going on. If you look at the budget, many years Toronto and TTC don't spend all of what they had planned too, because of various delays.

So you need a big project or two. Short of throwing all the money to speed up the Waterfront development projects, it's hard to think what they'd spend it on quickly.

Lakeshore realignment or unless that's a provincial highway and Toronto wouldn't have jurisdiction.

1. Yonge subway extention to Steeles. Fast track it through city hall, 6 month EA, shovel hit dirt in 1 year.

2. Gardiner "Beautification". 6 month EA and prettying within 1 year.

3. Dump everything onto the waterfront.

4. Fix every pot hole in the city.

5. Jarvis bikelanes need funding

6. City hall refurbishment need $40M.

7. Don Mills LRT doesn't have funding yet.

8. Union Station still need money.

9. Padestrian scramble crossing are needed in a few other places.

10. Yonge Street (north of Dundas) could use a Yorkville style revamp.

11. Some wodden telephone poles could use replacement.

12. My driveway could use an extention.

What about the new portlands carhouse for the new streetcars? Or would that not count for stimulus funding because it is planned to be built anyway? That could give the feds a way to fund the new streetcars and still say the money is being spent in toronto.

The catch is to have construction complete by March 31, 2011. Yonge subway can't move that fast. It takes about 2-years to do the design on a subway; they'd be lucky if they could finish the geotechnical borings by the end of 2010 if they started now!

I'm sure there's a long list of small projects that can be done. But with the city already going full-out on a lot of projects, it's difficult to add $300-million worth. Not impossible, but it's easier to throw out one of the rules (project completion, location, etc), And then the city must find another $300-million to match the $300-million. Heck, they would have to find $900-million if they have to pay for the streetcars directly.

Incidentally ... in the rules for the funding - you tell me where it says that the spending has to take place in a particular location. Certainly they are pushing the complete by 2011 rule ... but that doesn't seem to be the fed's biggest complaint! It seems they are more concerned that the money won't be spent in 416 ... but there doesn't seem to be any rule about that.

What about the new portlands carhouse for the new streetcars? Or would that not count for stimulus funding because it is planned to be built anyway? That could give the feds a way to fund the new streetcars and still say the money is being spent in toronto.
Good question; I'm sure it would qualify ... is the actual application somewhere?

Last edited:
The catch is to have construction complete by March 31, 2011. Yonge subway can't move that fast. It takes about 2-years to do the design on a subway; they'd be lucky if they could finish the geotechnical borings by the end of 2010 if they started now!

I'm sure there's a long list of small projects that can be done. But with the city already going full-out on a lot of projects, it's difficult to add $300-million worth. Not impossible, but it's easier to throw out one of the rules (project completion, location, etc), And then the city must find another $300-million to match the $300-million. Heck, they would have to find $900-million if they have to pay for the streetcars directly.

Incidentally ... in the rules for the funding - you tell me where it says that the spending has to take place in a particular location. Certainly they are pushing the complete by 2011 rule ... but that doesn't seem to be the fed's biggest complaint! It seems they are more concerned that the money won't be spent in 416 ... but there doesn't seem to be any rule about that.

Good question; I'm sure it would qualify ... is the actual application somewhere?

You guys need to understand the rules of asking for money.

You always buy the vehicles first and then force out the money for the garage. Once TTC have the streetcars, the money for the car house would have to come. Thus, even if the money isn't there yet, it is assumed to be there already.

Here's another example to help you understand.

Q: If you're the fire chief and you're granted for the money to buy either a ladder truck or an upgraded firehouse which would you choose?

A: You buy the ladder truck first and then tell the mayor that your current firehouse isn't big enough to fit the truck.

Same idea with the TTC. If they get the vehicles, then somebody will have to come around and pay for their garage no matter. No point spending new grants on something that you're eventually gonna get anyways.

Don't you love politics.

Last edited:

Back