News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I live on Spadina. I rarely, if ever see the streetcars full. Besides, I'm not talking about pulling their streetcars. I'm suggesting delaying replacing the CLRVs on other routes until after the major passenger demand on the 504 is satisfied. The 504 is the busiest ground route in the entire TTC and you can barely get on a streetcar these days. That's a crisis. It needs to take priority.

You just not take the 510 very much then. I constantly see them full, particuraly at rush hour. While all routes including King could use the Flexities, you are asking for a lot of angry customers if you take them away from routes that are already being serviced by them.

The 514 was introduced to help the 504. Is it not accomplishing that? And now there is the pilot project. These don’t exist on the 510, 509 or 514.

Just saw an Exhibition streetcar using its pantograph. Is this a tester or have they started the changeover?
Thats the 509 and being using the pans since Sept 12. Must raise and lower the pan at the Ex to leave/enter service.

Last edited:
What about extending 503 (currently a bus) further along the Pilot rather than turning onto Church/Wellington/York, especially if the latter streets are being congested by traffic diverted off King. Even if there wasn't the additional vehicles and operators to run further, sending 503 back to Charlotte Loop as during the Wellington road works would surely be workable as a first step? Dufferin Loop is probably too far west - even if the vehicles were available for the additional runtime, the 501L turning there would likely take up all available space.

Is the goal of 503 to service King or the Wellington area?

Maybe putting 502 on King to Charlotte would make more sense if there's been some shift of Queen passengers to King.

I'd imagine there will be a fairly substantial shift of ridership onto King. King is easily twice as fast as Queen right now, more than making up for the bit of additional walking to get down to it. Especially if your destination is somewhere between the two streets.

Is the goal of 503 to service King or the Wellington area?

Maybe putting 502 on King to Charlotte would make more sense if there's been some shift of Queen passengers to King.
the distance from King to Wellington is a single block (I work in a building on the south side of King) and because of the loop arrangement the 503 only serves Wellington one way.

502 serves Queen which is substantially further from King. Kingston Road’s services have been substantially messed around with in the last few years so I’m not sure messing with 502 is a good call overall, especially as it uses McCaul Loop rather than needing terminal space elsewhere.

the distance from King to Wellington is a single block (I work in a building on the south side of King) and because of the loop arrangement the 503 only serves Wellington one way.
503 goes down Church two blocks from King to Wellington. You've forgotten about Colborne Street, which is half way between King and Wellington Street. Originally, Colborne (which becomes Melinda at Yonge) ran all the way from the St. Lawrence Market to Bay Street. Though pieces have vanished over the years.

Though you haven't answered the question I posed. Is the goal of 503 to service King or the Wellington area?

Either way, 503 is already serving King. It's not going to make that much difference extending it.

502 serves Queen which is substantially further from King. Kingston Road’s services have been substantially messed around with in the last few years so I’m not sure messing with 502 is a good call overall, especially as it uses McCaul Loop rather than needing terminal space elsewhere.
Moving 502 would make more sense;might make more sense than reducing 501 ridership/capacity. If there's not capacity at Charlotte Loop) which I'd hardly call a terminal, Wolseley Loop is an option, which would increase King service all the way from Bathurst to the Don River.

In reality though, I think they missed the boat. With the Front Street rebuild, they should have added tracks all the way from Bathurst to Bayview. In the west, it leaves open extending perhaps along the new road and the unused Front Street Extension lands to Dufferin Gate Loop, and in the east, it's a very short extension to a new loop at the west entrance to the proposed East Harbour station (alternatively, it could even continue from East Harbour alongside the existing GO bridge, and provide a link to the proposed Broadview track just south of Eastern.

In reality though, I think they missed the boat. With the Front Street rebuild, they should have added tracks all the way from Bathurst to Bayview.

The problem is that from Spadina to Bathurst there is a bit of a dead zone. In front of Union Station you have a pinch point that would make streetcars a severe pain in the ass.

Ideally, they should have ran track down Bay from Dundas to the lake. That would have permitted streetcars to go from High Park to to Bathurst Station via the lake! Oddly enough I think that would have made for a better route. It would be a catch-all route in terms of passengers.

The thought of having streetcars on Front has been there for decades, considering there used to be streetcars on Front until the subway was built.

When we did the Master Transit Plan for the Waterfront back in 2004, the idea surface again, but were told not in our mandate.

We did look at a line on Eastern Ave, but was quickly kill since the street was too narrow.

I for one have seen an line on Front from Bathurst to Cherry St and there is enough room for an ROW, except in front of Union. There been the talk of building a bridge over the RR corridor to connect to Dufferin Loop, but opposed by the city.

If the Front Line was built, then TTC would get its 519 using it as well Bathurst St.

Again the city keeps shootings itself by not allowing TTC to have tracks on Richmond to Bathurst St from Parliament as well Adelaide. This would help TTC when King and Queen has to be close for events and not put pressure on the other route.

If TTC goes ahead with the extra 100 cars, other than Hillcrest where will TTC find land for another yard to hold 100 cars??

The thought of having streetcars on Front has been there for decades, considering there used to be streetcars on Front until the subway was built.

When we did the Master Transit Plan for the Waterfront back in 2004, the idea surface again, but were told not in our mandate.

We did look at a line on Eastern Ave, but was quickly kill since the street was too narrow.

I for one have seen an line on Front from Bathurst to Cherry St and there is enough room for an ROW, except in front of Union. There been the talk of building a bridge over the RR corridor to connect to Dufferin Loop, but opposed by the city.

If the Front Line was built, then TTC would get its 519 using it as well Bathurst St.

Again the city keeps shootings itself by not allowing TTC to have tracks on Richmond to Bathurst St from Parliament as well Adelaide. This would help TTC when King and Queen has to be close for events and not put pressure on the other route.

If TTC goes ahead with the extra 100 cars, other than Hillcrest where will TTC find land for another yard to hold 100 cars??

What I can see happening is the TTC buying up land somewhere in the port lands for a new yard.

The land is so contaminated its use as anything but commercial or residential wouls be futile. It would also make for an easy connection to the 514.

What I can see happening is the TTC buying up land somewhere in the port lands for a new yard.

The land is so contaminated its use as anything but commercial or residential wouls be futile. It would also make for an easy connection to the 514.
All of the month of the Don land is gone under the Keating plan that requires 4 m of earth on top of it. The Lake Shore land is held by others which is part of Waterfront Plan and will not be use for TTC yard.

You need something off the Leslie line since Cherry St extension is close to 2030 before its built.

TTC looked at the Portland area before going with the current yard location since it was the only large parcel of land it could find then.

Back