News   Jun 26, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 328     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The monthly average delivery to meet the 40 for 2017 was 3.33....getting one in January means that has now climbed to 3.55 for each of the next 11 months (assuming 4431 arrives today or tomorrow).

Or, alternatively, tomorrow is the 31st day of 2017, meaning the average deliveries in 2017 have been 1 per month, which would equal 12 in 2017. Hopefully not, but I hardly have reason to have more confidence than that in BBD.

Given they had their usual Christmas shut-down, had clearly been pushing to get 30 out the door by the end of December, and we know the second assembly line doesn't start for a few weeks yet, hard to conclude too much.

On the other hand, they are already ahead of last year's shipments, when the first didn't arrive until February 10, and the second didn't arrive until March 24th. So they are ahead of 15 a year, off a single assembly line.

Relax guys. The ramp up doesn't start till much later. We'll probably only see 2-3 every month till Q3 when they ramp up to 4-5 every month. Considering they are going through a third of the year (at least) with one assembly line, they'll need to pump out at least 25 on one line. If they want to deliver 76 next year, they'll need 38 or 1 every 9.6 days.

The 514 would need 4-5 more to run fully converted in the morning rush. It seems like more are held back in the afternoon possibly for training/spares.

Relax guys. The ramp up doesn't start till much later. We'll probably only see 2-3 every month till Q3 when they ramp up to 4-5 every month. Considering they are going through a third of the year (at least) with one assembly line, they'll need to pump out at least 25 on one line. If they want to deliver 76 next year, they'll need 38 or 1 every 9.6 days.

The 514 would need 4-5 more to run fully converted in the morning rush. It seems like more are held back in the afternoon possibly for training/spares.

why are they not ramping up when they have shown from last month that they could? This was a good opportunity to catch up and build on Dec's momentum. Either they are really playing ball and just milking their time or they just proved that last months
"ramp up" was really just smoke and mirrors by putting all hands on deck to make the quota. they are really risking it all by banking on a fantastic Q3.... strange times indeed....

why are they not ramping up when they have shown from last month that they could? This was a good opportunity to catch up and build on Dec's momentum. Either they are really playing ball and just milking their time or they just proved that last months
"ramp up" was really just smoke and mirrors by putting all hands on deck to make the quota. they are really risking it all by banking on a fantastic Q3.... strange times indeed....

It's a production "line". If you stop laying down new frames, and put all your energies into completing the units you already started, you can turn them out faster. That's likely what happened in December. To give Bombardier their due, they met their commitment. It was not a bad business decision to put their priorities where they did.

If that's what happened, one would expect that when they shut down at year end, the erecting floor was absolutely empty. No surprise that there has been a pause while they build the line up again. We will have to wait and see what the output rate is.

I am hoping that 4429 and 4430 don't turn out to be shop queens. It's a risky situation to be cranking out product against a do-or-die deadline. The pressure to cut corners intensifies. That's not a shot at Bombardier, that's a fact of life in any factory. TTC has reps on hand to monitor and sign off, so I'm hopeful that the QC on these cars was as thorough as all the previous units. Time will tell.

- Paul

I am hoping that 4429 and 4430 don't turn out to be shop queens. It's a risky situation to be cranking out product against a do-or-die deadline. The pressure to cut corners intensifies. That's not a shot at Bombardier, that's a fact of life in any factory. TTC has reps on hand to monitor and sign off, so I'm hopeful that the QC on these cars was as thorough as all the previous units. Time will tell.

- Paul
I suppose they put in enough overtime to built them oppose to cutting corners. If it's a few loose wires, those could be fixed. If they didn't build the frame correctly, I don't think TTC would accept them. It would be interesting to see how they perform a few years down the road. At least they haven't suffer from anything catastrophic compare to Siemens' S200s in Calgary.

Most manufacturing companies have vacation policies where they shut down the entire line. Everyone gets 2 weeks off at Christmas and 2 weeks off in August. No work gets done. Then they start up again. It's very common. This year the vacation time for most manufacturers ended on Jan 9. And we got the first LRT in 3 weeks. With a second shift that means the next one will be rolling off the line in 1 1/2 weeks.

I was on 4407 today when it diverted off of King heading towards Cherry Street and turned around via Parliament, Dundas, Broadview and Queen. When we turned onto Broadview from Dudas it desired and it got me thinking how much of the network is pantograph ready and how much do they still need to do? Alos when wires come don for some reason or another do they upgrade them or just stick with what was there before until they do the whole section?

I was on 4407 today when it diverted off of King heading towards Cherry Street and turned around via Parliament, Dundas, Broadview and Queen. When we turned onto Broadview from Dudas it desired and it got me thinking how much of the network is pantograph ready and how much do they still need to do? Alos when wires come don for some reason or another do they upgrade them or just stick with what was there before until they do the whole section?

Dunno why but I have this strong urge to attend the ballet while munching down on a Big Mac and fries.

Last edited:
On twitter chris drew

Attachments

• IMG_0065.PNG
    IMG_0065.PNG
    934.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0066.PNG
    IMG_0066.PNG
    910 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0067.PNG
    IMG_0067.PNG
    935.4 KB · Views: 159