News   Jun 17, 2024
 37     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 667     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 417     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

... it got me thinking how much of the network is pantograph ready and how much do they still need to do? Alos when wires come don for some reason or another do they upgrade them or just stick with what was there before until they do the whole section?

They seem to have two teams or sets of teams. One doing the long straight (tangent) sections and one doing the overhead intersections. Obviously doing the intersections is more complicated but both seem to depend on having new poles installed. In most of downtown they have installed replacement poles (some on Church and on King just recently) and the new (heavier) wiring seems to demand more poles at the intersections. As the new wiring is a heavier gauge and hung in a different way I suspect that if old wire breaks they just fix it with old wire to get service started again ASAP. On King Street they have installed most (but not all) of the new tangent wiring but still have several of the intersections to do (York, Church, Parliament at least.)

I have been just told that there is no timetable when pans will be use on 509 & 510 at this time. Not sure if the King & Parliament insertion is fully rebuilt, as it wasn't in Dec when I last saw it. Both routes were supposed to be pan use for the summer, then the fall to where we are today. 514 will be pan once King is finish as well.

Until 501 & 504 is fully rebuilt, no pans.

There is a report going to the Commissioner shortly on a revise roll out of the new fleet. 505 is next. My recommendation is to have 4 cars with poles roll out to all routes this year and then fully convert line by line. This will allow the accessibility community to finally use the streetcar network they can't do today. The stroller folks will be happy as well.

On twitter chris drew

While its nice to see a new one, this is not really an accelerated rollout schedule.

Unless Bomb gets back to the once a week rollout like at the end of the year, they will be in trouble.

Its looking more like the end of last year was like a college undergrad pulling an all nighter before the due date of their exam, rather than a revised rollout schedule.

They will find, like my dropout roommate, that the further they fall behind of the 2019 end date, the less possible this is to do.

There is a report going to the Commissioner shortly on a revise roll out of the new fleet. 505 is next. My recommendation is to have 4 cars with poles roll out to all routes this year and then fully convert line by line. This will allow the accessibility community to finally use the streetcar network they can't do today. The stroller folks will be happy as well.
We all know this isn't going to happen. TTC won't be able to reduce the number of cars needed for service if they have a couple here and there. A full rollout on every route would get the 502/503/504 trippers and 511 back to streetcars quicker.

While its nice to see a new one, this is not really an accelerated rollout schedule.

Unless Bomb gets back to the once a week rollout like at the end of the year, they will be in trouble.

Its looking more like the end of last year was like a college undergrad pulling an all nighter before the due date of their exam, rather than a revised rollout schedule.

They will find, like my dropout roommate, that the further they fall behind of the 2019 end date, the less possible this is to do.

+1
BBD apologists, your serve.

If BBD is to meet the 40 cars for this year, TTC should receive 4432 Feb 10-11. Lets see if this happens. If its not here by Feb 18, kiss this year off for 40 cars.

Well. they've said the ramp up won't happen until the second quarter.
If you think BBD is going to delivery 40 cars this year with a 2nd line starting in 2nd quarter, thats a lot of dreaming. BBD barely delivery 13 cars with one line last year and only made it by moving workers from other product line to do it.

If you count on BBD delivering 40 cars with a 2nd production line starting in 2nd/3rd quarter, a 3rd line is going to be needed to meet the deadline. If not, start looking at 2021 as completion date for the order assuming there is no more delays.

BBD will have to run 7/24/324 days this year to try to meet the schedule. 33 day have been used so far this year and need 5 days to get the last car here by Dec 30.

BBD did say they'll start cab and frame assembly elsewhere in Quebec and Germany too. Once they start doing that, assembly time at TB would be shorten and we'll start seeing more of them arriving. It's not going to be equally spaced out. We'll have to see the new revised schedule to know if they are behind schedule or not.

The overhead issue is getting outrageous. What would TTC have done if Bombardier were delivering panto-only cars (#61+) now?

The overhead issue is getting outrageous. What would TTC have done if Bombardier were delivering panto-only cars (#61+) now?
What I understand, its a money issue cause by Council. Because of lack of funding, TTC is drawing things out to where we are today.

If BBD had delivery 4460 last years, 501 & 504 would be fully converted to allow pans to be use on 509, 510 and 514. As pan only cars arrive, they would replace the cars with poles on those routes and they would be use on other routes not fully converted.

If you look at the system, most lines are upgraded to all or parts of it. The intersections are the big area for not being completed, but getting very small in numbers.

As it stands today, 509, 510, 511, 512 are 100% pan ready. Richmond is being restrung to new system, but intersection still not done. Same for Wellington. Most of 514 is ready except for a few intersections.

Alternatively the TTC can just stall by accepting the cars and not putting them in service for a few weeks till they finish off those intersection. At this delivery rate, they still got more than 10 months.

Alternatively the TTC can just stall by accepting the cars and not putting them in service for a few weeks till they finish off those intersection. At this delivery rate, they still got more than 10 months.
If a car loses a pole now it causes a major issue when the panto could be raised instead. But John Tory gotta have his cuts.

Back