News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 792     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

At certain intersection, traffic is blocking the cars at various time by being illegally in the intersection.

Hardly unique to cars though....daily I observe at least one streetcar doing the same thing...blocking an intersection (commonly on King blocking Simcoe cause that is where I spend a lot of time). ;)

Here is BBD's response to the city.
IMG_20161216_2343044.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161216_2343044.jpg
    IMG_20161216_2343044.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 348
Well I guess we will see.... the BBD ad might have been more believable if they had actually painted the streetcar in TTC colours, this looks like a generic ad with 'Toronto info " photoshopped in.
it is not an "ad"....it was the graphic used on CTV News last night when they were telling the story about the response. It was late, I was tired so the easiest way for me to share it was snap a picture of my TV screen and post the picture....so if you are going to blame anyone for the choice of graphic it is CTV

I suspect the message that Bombardier delivers to Tory will be an unapologetic "Cut this sh*t out".

This whole saga is a bit like Phil Kessel's legacy to Toronto. We were badly let down, especially for what we paid - but watch him go now.

2015-2016 may have been agonizing, but the changes that Bombardier has made in Kingston and La Pocatiere especially will change things for the better.

The question now becomes - will the Flexities hold up in service, and will TTC use them wisely. And did we order enough of them.

- Paul

I am pleased that this forum is not about Area 51 for conspiracy theories abound, but what if this month's deliveries is the new normal and the new cars simply follow this pattern for the next 52 or 104 or 156 weeks? Difficult to fathom for some, but what if?

Next:

1. MTBF
2. Pans up.
3.Come to grips with this 'shortage of cars' shit.

Oh - and if we -here - can use Nextbus to see bunching on the 510, are there no TTC supervisory employees with smart phones too? I have a neighbour who is an employee and he's whip smart. I'll bet they can solve the technology issues too, but you'll need the powers of Zeus to solve traffic and "life". Sometimes things happen.

When supervisors have no real info as to what happening on line, they will short turn cars as schedule according to what they have for schedule in the first place. If they had real time info, some short turn could take place elsewhere to get the line back on line a lot better.

Ummm anyone can get real time info. We call it NextBus.
Also, supervisors are physically out there at certain locations to monitor the situation. Yes it is rare and this should be improved.
Why can't supervisors just check NextBus / the dozens of apps just like the rest of us, and then short turn cars on the fly?

Also, supervisors are physically out there at certain locations to monitor the situation. Yes it is rare and this should be improved.
Why can't supervisors just check NextBus / the dozens of apps just like the rest of us, and then short turn cars on the fly?
Why? Because it's 2016 and the TTC has yet to find out about such modern contraptions! (Or possibly are confused that something called NextBus can also give info on streetcars?)

I suspect the message that Bombardier delivers to Tory will be an unapologetic "Cut this sh*t out".

This whole saga is a bit like Phil Kessel's legacy to Toronto. We were badly let down, especially for what we paid - but watch him go now.

2015-2016 may have been agonizing, but the changes that Bombardier has made in Kingston and La Pocatiere especially will change things for the better.

The question now becomes - will the Flexities hold up in service, and will TTC use them wisely. And did we order enough of them.

- Paul

Next Bus might not be reliable enough for those purposes

You forget TTC is still in the 1900's for tech info to the point supervisors maybe out there, but are still doing page and pen today while the public is using nextbus. Look what Steve Munro was doing for raw data for various line that brought surprises to TTC who haven't a clue on doing this in the first place and still isn't when they should be.

Then, no one other than the driver has a clue what the ridership is on those cars being short turn to the point they shouldn't be in the first place since they are a sardine can in the first place.

The 510 is filled with problems. The first is last minute passengers. Everyone wants to get on the one at the platform, so they run and hold up the doors.
Supervisors have their own working program to monitor every streetcar route at the CIS room at Roncy. Whoever is sitting on the screen knows where ever car is located and how late they are. The system first used signposts where the location would change when they pass a certain intersection but around 2008 they got GPS, long before NextBus. The problem was they don't know how each car is operating an how full they are so they decided to send out supervisors. Ironically these supervisors who were suppose to fix these problem don't have access to their locations have to track them by hand. They could also note ridership too. If they just put automatic passenger counters on every vehicle and report it to CIS via the new system coming in 2018, half the problem would be solved and they can stop asking every op how full their bus/streetcar is before deciding which one to short turn.

Anyways, supervisors having nextbus at their fingertip wouldn't solve the problem with new streetcars on Spadina. People would run even if 3 more streetcars are coming within a minute.

Back