News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 781     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It's also worthwhile to note that a lot of times, things can't get fixed overnight cause they are waiting for the parts to arrive. TTC stockpiles many parts to avoid put a vehicle on hold for too long but sometimes they just don't have the specific parts.

Does your car dealership fix your car overnight????

To be very blunt, I guess safety and fixing Thunder Bay problems, as well standard maintance mean a rat ass to you as long as they are not out for service daily. TTC has crews working 7/24 and some work can take days to be done.

The children need to stay in school to learn how the real world works as they are clueless when it comes to making these statements.

I have very detailed knowledge about private fleet management. Please be a bit more respectful regardless of whom you are talking to. You may have knowledge about transit but I am not the child when it comes to fleet management in the real world (i.e. not public sector). I don't know streetcars but I do know larger vehicles.

And yes, in private industry there is a constant maintenance off-hours to ensure that at critical times the fleet is in full-use. The added cost of having too many spares is enormous. There is a detailed maintenance management tool that predicts when each part will break on a vehicle and the variances. When there is a 25% risk that the part will break it is placed on a watch list and it is monitored. If there are identifiers before breakage the part is of course replaced.

There is also inventory tracking for all spare parts and it should be rare if you are missing any part. Waiting a day or two is unacceptable in private industry. Over time the part inventory can become very refined as you can track the historical needs as well as the risk of breakage from the maintenance logs.

This means that maintenance is NOT a 24 hour window but there is a larger crew on when the fleet is not in use (and only when there is a major issue the crew is operational during busy times). Add resources off peak and remove them from on-peak. There probably are enough workers...just shift the majority to the night shift and have them all work in unison.

There are also specific lulls in the demand (Christmas, summer, etc). In private industry these are used for significant overhauls.

A $6M vehicle is not a car that can be in the auto shop while you have a renter. It is a large capital outlay for the taxpayers that should be respected.

Private industry can target between 3-5% out of service once you have a large enough fleet. 10-20% would mean we would be fired for incompetence.

It's amazing the contortions that are made to justify the fact that TTC just doesn't put out all the cars they should be; they reserve too many for this black hole of "training", "cleaning" and "repairs" (which basically means we have no idea why they are out of service and there could very well be no good reason why).
??? With there being only 20 cars (until this week), and 17 frequently in service, and 1 for training, that's only a 10% spare ratio. That's already low.

I don't understand the constant whinging about something like this.

This has been the case since the beginning of the roll-out--TTC just doesn't put enough of them into service.

There are only 15 total in service this morning. 13 on 510, 1 on 509 and 1 on 514.

If there are 21 cars in the fleet, where are the 6 others?
In the past you've frequently used poor tools, and missed some. I checked just before PM peak, and there were 16 cars on 510 (one heading back to yard, and another coming back to service), and 1 on the other routes. That's 18 of 21. Leave 1 for training, and that's 2 unaccounted for.

Last edited:
I caught 4409 in it's new Mill Genuine Draft add warp today. I've alos seen a second one out with one too but haven't seen what number it is. It's about time they had some ads in them. Although I could do with out the ad warps.

4411 one of the so call missing in action car has been out of service the last week to the point its up at Hillcrest as I type this. It was in the yard at the Barns yesterday when I last check it and why is it at Hillcrest???

4415 & 4422 are on 510 with the rest at the Barns. 4401 is there as well

I thought about posting screenshots because I thought you would question my figures. I am using Nextbus.com:

http://www.nextbus.com/googleMap/?a=ttc&r=510&d=510_1_510B&s=14339_ar
That query doesn't show the vehicles that are are not trackable (often in a loop turning). Use http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=510&t=0 - right now there are 14 vehicles in service (which is what the AM Peak schedule calls for - a 15th is added shortly) - All Flexities, but 2 aren't trackable, so you'd only see 12 using your link.

That's two too many.
If your not happy when even 19 of the 21 vehicles are doing something, then I don't think you'll ever be happy.

You do realise that in AM peak, there are hundreds of buses not in service every morning?

4411 one of the so call missing in action car has been out of service the last week to the point its up at Hillcrest as I type this. It was in the yard at the Barns yesterday when I last check it and why is it at Hillcrest???

Maybe shes up there to get an ad warp put on her?

Excited about ugly ad wraps? Okay then.

Like I said in my comment I could do with out the ad warps but it's better then the plain white interior of them. The oldest one has been iservice for almost 3 years now and still doesn't have a single ad in it. As much as we hate ads they help pay the bills for the TTC.

4411 at Hillcrest

4416 at Russell Yard west end

4400 & 4418 in the building at the Barns

All others in service.

This means that maintenance is NOT a 24 hour window but there is a larger crew on when the fleet is not in use (and only when there is a major issue the crew is operational during busy times). Add resources off peak and remove them from on-peak. There probably are enough workers...just shift the majority to the night shift and have them all work in unison.

There are also specific lulls in the demand (Christmas, summer, etc). In private industry these are used for significant overhauls.

A $6M vehicle is not a car that can be in the auto shop while you have a renter. It is a large capital outlay for the taxpayers that should be respected.

Private industry can target between 3-5% out of service once you have a large enough fleet. 10-20% would mean we would be fired for incompetence.

To put it back into the TTC's perspective....

There are numerous different maintenance crews. Cleaning. Running repairs. Body men. Mechanical. Electrical. All do different jobs, and not all need to have the same shifts. Cleaning and running repairs are doing mostly at night, but the body men may only need to be on duty during the day, as their jobs are more intensive and require more time, effort and equipment to do.

In transit there is also almost zero capability for sourcing extra equipment if needed on a day-by-day basis, and an absolutely zero capability when it comes to the streetcars and subways. Thus, you need to make sure that your spares ratio is high enough to cover all potential situations - not just vehicles that break down on a day-to-day basis, but also for recalls and warranty work, fitting out of new and updated systems, to name but two.

Finally, what is the average amount of time that your vehicles are on the road? From what I recall from my friends in the logistics industry, the average time on the road for each truck is something like 5 and a half hours per day, 5 days a week. A transit vehicle averages far more time in service - for the TTC's bus fleet, it's something like 13 hours a day, 6 days a week. Streetcars are something similar. That's a lot of wear-and-tear not just on the engine and transmission, but suspension and steering components, doors and windows, HVAC, etc.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had to tighten the screws on my home exterior door's hinges, because they can get loose over the years. However, my doors are not opened and closed as many times as the doors on transit vehicles. I'm sure the screws on those doors have to be tightened much more often, even the hidden screws.

Who tightens the screws on your car? You or your mechanic?

Had to tighten the screws on my home exterior door's hinges, because they can get loose over the years. However, my doors are not opened and closed as many times as the doors on transit vehicles. I'm sure the screws on those doors have to be tightened much more often, even the hidden screws.

Who tightens the screws on your car? You or your mechanic?

plus many other things like rotating wheel sets to keep waire even on them from going around curves. Speaking of which does anyone know how often the TTC does that and do they have to do that more often with the Flexs because both loops they go around on a regular bases both go the same direction?

Back