News   Apr 25, 2024
 322     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 999     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Makes sense during peak periods when there may be a car ever 2-3 minutes (like King), but doesn't when the schedules are a streetcar every 6, 7, 8, 10, 15 minutes, so the cars now run every 8, 9, 10, 12, 18 minutes. It means longer waits and less service.

That's when you start to run into problems of crappy service levels. And if the short turns continue the way they are going, then may God have mercy on service to Neville Park or Lake Shore, who would have potentially even less cars running.

Spadina would be perfect for longer cars slightly less frequent, at least weekday daytime and Sunday, as long as service south of King remains the same.

On paper it seems a similar service can be provided at a reduced frequency when using higher capacity vehicles, but in reality it makes the service more unreliable, and streetcars already have enough of these issues.

Oh my gawd! 15-18 minute wait times. That would be consistent with bus service in the suburbs. Honestly, most streetcars are virtually empty off peak hours.

I'm pretty sure you're not a regular TTC rider by what I remember from your previous posts, so I'll feel free to discount that statement.

I don't think Queen or Carleton deserves suburban-standard wait time. Even the busy suburban routes, like Finch, Sheppard East, Wilson, Warden, etc. have much better schedules than that, except maybe Sunday late evening on some of them. Doady is right, reduced service levels will probably result in much worse reliability.

but doesn't when the schedules are a streetcar every 6, 7, 8, 10, 15 minutes, so the cars now run every 8, 9, 10, 12, 18 minutes. It means longer waits and less service.
Oh my gawd! 15-18 minute wait times. That would be consistent with bus service in the suburbs. Honestly, most streetcars are virtually empty off peak hours.

I had a doctor's appointment today at 2:45 on College and assumed (incorrectly) that the 506 would be vacant. Not only were there no seats when I got on at Bathurst, but by the time we got to Spadina, even standing room was scarce.

^
I hate it when that happens, usually the next car has more room.

"Makes sense during peak periods when there may be a car ever 2-3 minutes (like King), but doesn't when the schedules are a streetcar every 6, 7, 8, 10, 15 minutes, so the cars now run every 8, 9, 10, 12, 18 minutes. It means longer waits and less service."
"On paper it seems a similar service can be provided at a reduced frequency when using higher capacity vehicles, but in reality it makes the service more unreliable, and streetcars already have enough of these issues."

Yes, that's why I said it makes sense to the TTC...there's no way they'd pass a chance like that up.

Flexcity from Bombardier would have been a cool design. I think their tram looks to generic, even if they painted it red and black.

Star: TTC, GO show off new vehicles

Link to article

TTC, GO show off new vehicles

Jun 14, 2007 01:39 PM
Tess Kalinowski
Transportation Reporter

The future of public transit arrived today in Toronto as both GO and the TTC showed off the sleek new machines that will soon be standard issue on the rails and streets around the GTA.

The first of GO Transit's 27 sleek new locomotives will begin running on the Milton line in January and on the Lakeshore corridor later next year.

Designed by MotivePower Industries and built in Boise, Idaho, the new locomotives will pull 12 rather than the current 10 cars, accomodating an additional 300 passengers per train.

Part of a fleet renewal plan, the new locomotives, which cost $143 million, should also improve GO's troubled on-time performance by providing more reliability, according to transit officials.

The TTC also showed off a generic prototype at the Ontario Science Centre this morning of the kind of streetcars it wants to buy to replace and expand its aging fleet.

The TTC wants the public's input on what will become the new symbol of Toronto, according to transit chair Adam Giambrone.

The Bombardier-built model and other designs will be available for public viewing this month at the Scarborough Civic Centre, Albion Mall, Downsview and Finch Stations.

You can also see the vehicles and register your preferences for everything from accessiblity to upholstery at www.mynewstreetcar.ca.

untitled-1.jpg

Just my two pennies, but I always thought the TTC should have kept the old look to its streetcar fleet, much like London, UK has mandated that its new modern taxis must look like the old taxis. Toronto is one of the few urban cities with streetcars remaining, and we should use that as a tourist item. Those of us who lived in Toronto in the 1970s or earlier well remember the Red Rocket cars. I think the design that followed the Rocket was an attempt to forget the past and to present some sort of embrace the future look - a mistake IMO.

I recommend everyone check out the Radial Railway Museum in Milton to see the old TTC streetcars still in use.

beez, when someone says "a penny for your thought" and you put your two cents in, what happens to the other penny? :p

is it possible to keep the old look but have the capacity and accessibility needed for yesterday's and today's world?

Back