News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 424     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The issue is going to stop being contracts and timing and will become politics and suburbs vs downtown...I think you all underestimate the number of councillors that would jump at the chance of getting rid of the streetcar system...whether or not it makes sense for the riders it makes sense from the politics of it....if DML for example where to put forward a motion suggesting we cancel the order, and get a significant number of busses instead - I think he would likely get a good number of votes (not a majority at this point) - but if he were to do it now...and then again in 6 months when there is still no vehicles the game starts to change...

The reality is that the politics of this could go south quickly...especially if Bombardier ends up having existential problems...having the 60 vehicles with an option for another 200 from another manufacturer in the back-pocket (or at least in progress) is a win for the TTC - it puts pressure on Bombardier to up their game, and it gives an alternate path to 260 vehicles if things start to seriously fall apart at Bombardier.

Bombardier Outlook #4409 delivered

CKmtcmvUsAApyAK.jpg

I've actually found it annoying when they do open the doors, and people just walk right up to the front door instead of boarding from any door. They need to put some large signage saying "Board using any door" for a bit until people get the idea. Possibly even a big sign pointing to the button saying "Press to open".
You could put a neon sign flashing, and people would still go to the front, cuz the majority of this world is clueless.

The new LRVs aren't common yet. Once they are the new standard then people will get used to them. The TTC are the ones who are clueless for not making all-door boarding the standard for the streetcar system sooner.

It's the same with presto readers if I was to count the number of times I've seen someone swipe their metro pass on it I'd run out of fingers and toes
Haven't noticed that.

I did flash my Presto card once to a streetcar driver ... he didn't notice. On another occasion I was about to flash my Tim Horton's card, but noticed I'd grabbed the wrong one - as it was just about the time there was all the fuss about driver's stopping en route for coffee (whatever happened to that - don't hear about it anymore) was probably a good job I noticed!

Worse when you are hunting for that unique card among the hundreds one has in their wallet, and they ALL fall on the floor. Just missing the sewer grate.

That is why I would like to get most, if not all, of my cards onto my smartphone. Would prefer to even see some sort of cloud connection between my physical cards and my smartphone cards.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...tc-chair-i-just-want-our-damn-streetcars.html

TTC chair: "I just want our damn streetcars"

By: Jennifer Pagliaro City Hall reporter, Published on Wed Jul 29 2015

A revised schedule for the delivery of 204 new streetcars puts the roll-out at least a year behind schedule.

Manufacturer Bombardier is re-committing to have all vehicles delivered by the end of 2019, according to a statement sent Wednesday morning. But after delays, TTC and city officials maintain the delivery of cars to-date has been unacceptable.

“I’m kind of sick of their excuses at this point,” said TTC chair Josh Colle (open Josh Colle's policard) at a hastily scheduled press conference at city hall after Bombardier announced the new schedule commitments Wednesday morning. “I don’t want anymore excuses I just want our damn streetcars.”

The TTC board will debate financial penalties and blocking the company from further city contracts at meeting today.

To date, there are only six streetcars in service when Bombardier should have delivered 50 cars by now, said TTC CEO Andy Byford. According to the new schedule, Byford said there will be 23 cars delivered and 20 in service by the end of the year.

That falls below what the TTC had proposed as a new schedule of 30 cars by the end of the year.

But the original timeline should have seen 70 cars delivered in that time. Instead, Byford said they now expect 70 cars to be delivered by the end of next year.

“That’s nowhere near where we should be. We’re not happy about that,” Byford told reporters. “But the key thing has always been, we want quality vehicles — vehicles that work out of the box.”
Byford said they are confident with the quality and reliability of the vehicles they have now — “We just want more of them.”

Colle said he expects some board members will be seeking “drastic” measures to penalize Bombardier’s performance, saying they have grown tired of the “shifting goal post.”

While Bombardier has re-committed to the full order of cars by original date, the new schedule would put them behind their contracted milestones, which includes 60 streetcars delivered by late August.
The TTC’s contract with Bombardier allows for damages of up to 5 per cent of the total $1.2 billion cost if the 60th streetcar is late.

Officials have not yet put a price on the delay.

Colle said he’s always been more concerned with meeting the milestones and the cost of delays in keeping an aging streetcar fleet in operation.

“I’m certainly pleased to see that they’re finally publicly committing to something, at the same time the number that they had earlier committed to us several times is much lower than we had anticipated,” Colle said. “The true test would be when that next car arrives and what shape it’s in — that’s when I’ll believe this delivery schedule.”

“I think our riders deserve better from Bombardier.”

Earlier this year, officials visited Bombardier’s Thunder Bay plant, where Colle said the main demand was just to provide a revised schedule.

Bombardier said Wednesday they are “ramping up” their production rate to meet the four cars per month schedule they’ve now set out, which they provided the TTC earlier this week.

“Bombardier assures that all of the vehicles will be of the utmost quality, like all those that are in service today, performing at an industry-leading 98 per cent availability rate,” a statement from the company said.

Spokesperson Marc-André Lefebvre said they would not comment on potential penalties as the TTC board meets today.

It’s not clear how the late deliveries could impact the need for more streetcars on city streets.

Byford has said the city will need to order 60 additional streetcars to keep up with growing demand on transit in the next decade.

While the city hasn’t budgeted for the estimated $53 million needed to secure the cars as part of the current Bombardier order, Byford said they won’t be making that request now.

“The priority absolutely is to hold Bombardier to deliver on their present contract. We’re not in a rush to give them extra orders until they can prove that they can deliver on the base order,” Byford said.

However, the option to order new vehicles at the existing price disappears after Bombardier delivers the 60th streetcar from the current order.

“I would say the commission would be very reluctant to do that at this point based on the delivery,” Colle said of tacking on a new order. He said he hopes the TTC will be in a position to make that call next year.

The Siemens bid was 50% more.

So what, when you factor in the costs we are incurring to refurbish the ALRV fleet, retrofitting the whole current fleet with PRESTO, etc, because of the delays from Bombardier, we should have went with Siemens.

Back