News   Jul 17, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 589     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

But they do:

Circa 2372

Trans-Francisco_Logo%2C_Non_sequitur.jpg

Who would be insane enough to suggest such a thing.

Edit: its probably the same people who believe subways last for centuries :)

Same trolls who think waiting for a surface vehicle outdoors is undue hardship. Dress for the weather, check the schedule - much cheaper than replacing every bus route with a subway.

Same trolls who think waiting for a surface vehicle outdoors is undue hardship. Dress for the weather, check the schedule - much cheaper than replacing every bus route with a subway.

Haha reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;tyZcwnO794k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZcwnO794k[/video]

I can't wait till the LRTs open. I just know we're going to hear, "I had to wait in the snow (under a shelter) for three whole minutes" (with dramatic tears).

Last edited:
Haha reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;tyZcwnO794k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZcwnO794k[/video]

I can't wait till the LRTs open. I just know we're going to hear, "I had to wait in the snow (under a shelter) for three whole minutes" (with dramatic tears).

It isn't helped by politicians (of all stripes) describing having to do that as being a second class citizen

Will the new streetcars use pantographs or trolley poles? Most test videos show trolley poles but this one shows pantograph:

[video=youtube;8kcfA_TxohI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcfA_TxohI[/video]

This is the year it will finally go into service right? Summer or fall?

Will the new streetcars use pantographs or trolley poles?

The correct answer to this is actually "yes".

They test vehicles were delivered with both. Pantographs are expected to be used (streets are being rewired for them) but trolley poles are an option and may be necessary during the transition period.

Its my understanding that trolley polls will be used initially on some routes before the TTC fully converts the system to pantographs. I'm not expecting the trolly poll to be used for too long.

Edit: they're scheduled to go into service sometime in the late summer. They were originally scheduled for spring, but delays happened. Expect to see them first on our 510 Spadina line.

Last edited:
Is the TTC still planning to reduce frequencies with the introduction of our new streetcars? If they are it would be a great opportunity to upgrade the 510 Spadina with signal priority. If I'm remembering correctly, part of the reason it hasn't yet was because vehicle frequencies with the CLRVs were too high.

Part of the problem with signal priority on Spadina is that nearly half of the intersections also have transit going east-west.

Haha reminds me of this:

Almost as bad as when it SNOWED in Jerusalem and Cairo last month.
[video=youtube_share;qXzFpLDXGMM]http://youtu.be/qXzFpLDXGMM[/video]
And not a snow shovel in sight.

The old CLRV's were, correction are, not too reliable for Toronto extreme cold. I hope the new Bombardier Outlook streetcars would be able to handle it. That's why I would have wanted to see them out for a test drive in this morning's cold.

From CTV news, from this link:

Cold causes problems for TTC

The cold caused significant problems for the TTC and public transit users in Toronto at the height of the morning commute.

About 50 streetcars were out of service and the TTC told riders to expect longer than normal wait times on all streetcar routes, especially the 510 Spadina line, due to weather-related mechanical issues.

The cold was affecting the streetcars' air brakes and there were problems moving the vehicles out of the yards, resulting in delays, a TTC spokesperson told CP24.

At one point, just six streetcars were running on the 510 Spadina line when 20 to 25 should have been operating.

The situation improved by 9 a.m.

That's one reason, I didn't like CLRV's. For the use of air brakes.

The PCC streetcars were a mix of air-electric and all-electric brakes. From this link:
PCC Fleet Numbers:

• 4000-4139 - A-1 air electric single units;
  • 4150-4199 - A-2 air electric single units;
  • 4200-4259 - A-3 air electric single units;
  • 4260-4274 - A-4 air electric single units;
  • 4275-4299 - A-5 air electric single units;
  • 4300-4399 - A-6 all electric single units;
  • 4400-4499 - A-7 all electric units - featuring MU couplers for train operation;
  • 4500-4549 - A-8 all electric single units - all A-15 rebuilds came from this class;
  • 4550-4574 - A-9 Ex-Cincinnati (1150-1174) all electric single units;
  • 4575-4601 - A-10 Ex-Cincinnati (1100-1126) air electric single units;
  • 4600-4618 - A-15 all electric rebuilt single-units (all ex Toronto A-8 units); Two of the cars — 4604 and 4605 — are restored to their 1951 “as delivered” apperance and retain the original numbers, 4500 and 4545; they are officially in class A-15H)
  • 4625-4674 - A-11 Ex-Cleveland (4200-4249) all electric units featuring MU couplers for train operation;.
  • 4675-4699 - A-12 Ex-Louisville (525,501-524); later ex-Cleveland (4250-4274) all-electric units featuring MU couplers for train operation;
  • 4700-4747 - A-13 Ex-Birmingham (800-847) all electric single units;
  • 4750-4779 - A-14 Ex-Kansas City (various) all electric single units

Why they went with air electric with the CLRV seemed to be a step backwards to me. Do not know what brakes the Bombardier Outlook will have. Information listed for the Outlook in other cities are for:
  • Electrodynamic regenerative service brake
  • Disk brake: electrohydraulic spring operated brake
  • Magnetic brake
Don't know what the specs call for the Toronto model.

Last edited:
The TTC put out their own news article, from this link, on the cold affecting the CLRV streetcars:

Extreme cold will affect TTC rush hour streetcar service

January 3, 2014

Today’s extreme cold is affecting Toronto Transit Commission streetcar service, with an impact to the afternoon rush hour. As the extreme cold continues, the TTC is warning that afternoon rush hour will see a shortage of 50 streetcars across the network. The TTC normally operates about 195 streetcars during peak service. During morning rush hour today, the TTC was short 48 streetcars.

The TTC is preparing to use buses to supplement streetcar routes that will see fewer than half the allotted number of cars a route ought to have.

The age of the streetcar fleet and equipment – over 30 years in many cases – does not respond well to extreme cold. Specifically, pneumatic air lines that provide braking and door operation can see moisture build up in the lines that then freeze, causing the streetcar to be taken out of service.

The new fleet of low-floor, accessible streetcars that begin service this August, and phased in over a six-year period, will not be susceptible to extreme cold as the current fleet is. They use a combination of electrical and hydraulic systems, rather than pneumatic.

Back