News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 682     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 309     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Yeah on the College car it's more like people hold the doors open after people have got off.
Occasionally ... and at times the operator has said his car isn't moving, until those who got on the back, get off the back, and come through the front door.

But thse days, more often or not, the operator simply opens the back doors, and tells those getting on at the front door, to go use the back one as well.

What you describe sounds more like the previous decade.

Yeah, I'm really curious how POP enforcement works. I've been riding the College Street Car for about two months now and I get on at the back doors always. I have a metropass in my pocket, but nobody has ever asked to see it. Theoretically I could have ridden the streetcar for free these last two months. How big are the fines? Who's enforcing it and what happens if you're caught I wonder.
The 506 Carlton isn't a POP route so you technically shouldn't be entering via the back doors, unless instructed by a TTC employee.

During rush hour when they're crowded they may not bother to send enforcers on them, so people in rush hour may hope to ride them for free.

During rush hour when they're crowded they may not bother to send enforcers on them, so people in rush hour may hope to ride them for free.

At what distance would the PRESTO RFID card register a transaction as one enters the new streetcars?

[video=youtube_share;eob532iEpqk]http://youtu.be/eob532iEpqk[/video]

Our new streetcars went out for snow testing today. No video (yet), but all went well according to Brad Ross.

He also mentioned that we'll be receiving our first production streetcar next month.

“The testing is going really well. We are going to have our first production vehicle in March.”

National Post

Does that mean next month is when they will start to run picking up passengers

"IF" and I mean "IF" 4404 shows up in March, it will be a first since 4403 still hasn't shown up for testing due last fall and 4400 is not back for retesting after all the modifications were done based on testing done to date. 4400 went to Thunder Bay in Oct from Ottawa.

4401 and 4402 are supposed to return to Thunder Bay to be modify like 4400.

Even if 4404 did show up in March, it still has to be tested, but most of all, there is no Presto system in place for it as well placing one on it. At the same time, TTC wants at least 6-12 on hand before hitting route 510.

510 will see buses again this summer so 1/2 intersection can be rebuilt like King St last year. They should all be done this year, but the budget is the problem. The overhead at the intersection still has to be replace.

I guess the commission is not having a say to the final production approval.

With the winter we are having, Spadina Loop will not be ready as per the backup date and more like June now, not March.

Not having 4401 & 2 out for testing in this weather is a huge mistake and they would learn a lot of info from those test for the production run.

With the late testing and delivery, it helping TTC & the City bottom line for paying for these cars.

The PRESTO RFID card register are on both sides of the doors.

Last edited:
Having lived in Montreal when the TTC equivalent there bought a bunch of new buses and put them all out onto the street and THEN found that the seating layout was dreadful and all needed to be retrofitted, I am pleased that the TTC are doing proper testing BEFORE they ramp up production. It is taking longer than I had expected but if they then produce streetcars that do not have 'obvious' failings it will be worth it. However, now that the first production streetcar (4404) is apparently about ready to be sent to us my question is how fast can they then be produced. One a week, two a week ?

Steve Munro has just reported answers from TTC:

Q: What is the status of the order and when will production deliveries begin?

A: Production deliveries will begin in March.

Q: What will be the rate of deliveries?

A: As always planned, there will be a ramp up to the production rate of 3 per month (36 per year). Once stabilized at this rate there are opportunities to transition to a higher rate and this is currently under investigation.

Last edited:
However, now that the first production streetcar (4404) is apparently about ready to be sent to us my question is how fast can they then be produced. One a week, two a week ?
They are supposed to be delivering 36 a year. So that's about 1 every 10 days. 3 a month.

Wouldn't the first production streetcar be 4403?

But what will be the total number? 204 was the initial order number, but there is an option for an additional 60 (making it 264).

For comparison, the current TTC fleet consists of 247 streetcars in total (57 of which are articulated).

Back