News   Jul 17, 2024
 72     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 708     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I rode what I believe to be the same streetcar model Toronto will be getting in Brussels and I was very impressed. I agree it does seem very spacious. The section I rode was completely underground. I'm really looking forward to these going into service, as well as the Eglinton Crosstown.

And our streetcars are 24 cm wider than the Brussels trams, so they should be even nicer. They don't have leather seats though...

And our streetcars are 24 cm wider than the Brussels trams, so they should be even nicer. They don't have leather seats though...

Toronto's streetcars (2.54m) are the same width as Montréal's Metro cars, but narrower than Toronto's Subway cars (3.134m) AND the Transit City light rail cars (2.65m).

Last edited:
Toronto's streetcars are the same width as Montréal's Metro cars, but narrower than Toronto's Subway cars AND the Transit City light rail cars.

Are the wider the UTDC CLRV/ALRV streetcars? I ask because it feels significantly wider inside, but that may be because of the larger windows, brighter lighting, taller ceilings and longer length (the same illusion as the Toronto Rocket).

Are the wider the UTDC CLRV/ALRV streetcars? I ask because it feels significantly wider inside, but that may be because of the larger windows, brighter lighting, taller ceilings and longer length (the same illusion as the Toronto Rocket).

Same EXTERIOR width. Insulation, thinner cables and materials, and large windows maybe some reasons for the "feel".

St. Clair West

bzKp4YG.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but now that the new platforms on Bathurst south of King and north of Front are complete, there will also be a new traffic signal at Bathurst and Niagara. Should be better for traffic.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but now that the new platforms on Bathurst south of King and north of Front are complete, there will also be a new traffic signal at Bathurst and Niagara. Should be better for traffic.

Unless those lights get supremely co-ordinated with the lights at Lakeshore and Fort York I really don't see how adding in another sets of lights will make things south of King on Bathurst any better for traffic ;)

Will this replace the mid-block pedestrian signal between Niagara and Wellington?

The lrt lines will actually be trains, they will have 2 or 3 of the LRVs connected together and running.

The wider seat for overweight people is odd I think. Overweight people will probably be too shamed to use it and it will be the most popular seat on the streetcar for regular skinny folks as well as it gives more personal space. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.

I highly doubt they would avoid a seat just because of a characteristic that is plainly observable.

AoD

Unless those lights get supremely co-ordinated with the lights at Lakeshore and Fort York I really don't see how adding in another sets of lights will make things south of King on Bathurst any better for traffic ;)

Hmm, that's a good point. It would certainly make it easier for me to cross Bathurst eastbound there, but only if coordination/signal priority means there's no streetcar blocking the gap between those new platforms when I have a green.

Will this replace the mid-block pedestrian signal between Niagara and Wellington?

I should have taken a closer look but I would hope so, given that the mid-block signal is only about 50 m from Niagara and the new platform extends pretty far south. I will try to find some of the plans.

And it turns out that yes, the mid-block signal is being moved:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-58881.pdf

2. City Council approve the relocation of the mid-block pedestrian traffic signal on
Bathurst Street, 35 metres north of Niagara Street, to the intersection of Bathurst
Street and Niagara Street, coincident with the installation of streetcar loading
platforms.
3. City Council approve the designation of a safety zone on the west side of Bathurst
Street, immediately north of Niagara Street, and on the east side of Bathurst Street,
immediately south of Niagara Street, coincident with the installation of streetcar
loading platforms.

Signal priority and 45 m platforms too!

City builds new concrete safety islands on Bathurst Street for passengers of new streetcars. City removes illuminated construction signage. City does not activate permanent safety lighting. Sun sets. 2 hours later ... A driver collides with southbound barrier.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 627
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 635
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg