News   Jul 15, 2024
 428     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 543     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

???? Uh, I said they were bi-directional in my post that you quoted. The press release says they are bi-directional. I'm not sure I understand the point of your post!

There was some confusion in other media outlets as to whether this was for the downtown network or the new TC lines. For a minute, some were saying this was for downtown which would have been a significant (and surprising) (and not unnecessary) boost in capacity for the legacy routes.

Still good news, though.

Actually, as of 11:27 a.m. The Star article is still claiming that the new streetcars will "continue to replace the current fleet of 248 streetcars purchased in the 1970s and 1980s." Let's see if they fix it: http://www.thestar.com/business/article/823192--toronto-buying-182-more-bombardier-streetcars?bn=1

There was some confusion in other media outlets as to whether this was for the downtown network or the new TC lines.
The press release I linked in the original post - http://www.bombardier.com/en/transp...press-releases/details?docID=0901260d801135a2 is quite clear. "Bombardier to supply state of the art mass transit solutions to support the Metrolinx 5 in 10 Plan "

I also linked the Metrolinx 5 in 10 plan in my original post, which gives the breakdown of the 182 cars - http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/Agendas/May19_10/Five_in_Ten_Board_web.pdf#page=23

Eglinton - 76 cars
Finch - 23 cars
SRT - 48 cars
Sheppard - 35 cars
Total - 182 cars

Seems very clear to me. Not sure why this would be creating confusion.

I REALLY hope the vehicles look like the design in the drawing, that is a really nice looking vehicle. Of interest, Bombardier says each vehicle will hold 280 riders. With that in mind, Sheppard East will have a max capacity of close to 7,000pph at a 5 minute headways.

Last edited:
Not sure why this would be creating confusion.
The problem is that the newspapers aren't going to the press release; they're simply reproducing a badly written CP article. The use of the term "streetcar" is a big part of the confusion. Just go look at the comments at both the Star and Globe sites, where people are complaining that these will just clog up traffic more and that they want subways.

The latest Star article is clearer though.

Actually, as of 11:27 a.m. The Star article is still claiming that the new streetcars will "continue to replace the current fleet of 248 streetcars purchased in the 1970s and 1980s." Let's see if they fix it: http://www.thestar.com/business/article/823192--toronto-buying-182-more-bombardier-streetcars?bn=1

It looks like Metrolinx exercised the option Miller added to the earlier streetcar contract for the more standard LRVs for Transit City.

So, there is a single contract for the purchase of replacement streetcars for downtown with special specifications and standard off-the-shelf model Transit City LRVs

At today announcement on the Metrolinx 5 in 10 Plan at Kennedy GO Station, It was made clear that the 182 cars are for TC only with Sheppared getting 24 cars in early 2014.

It was also stated that the Canadian content will be more than the contract 25%.

The new color design was shown though not offical announce will be red and white with black trim. White top and bottom. The red is to be darker than the current red.

It was further stated by
The Honorable Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Minister of Transportation, The Honorable Brad Duguid, Ontario Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, J. Robert S. Prichard, President and CEO of Metrolinx, Raymond Bachant, President – North America, Bombardier Transportation, and the Master of Ceremonies is Lorenzo Berardinetti, M.P.P. Scarborough Southwestthat The Government is fully commeted to TC as it stands today.

Steve Munro has a post on the new LRVs, including a link to a comparison chart showing the differences between these and the downtown cars. You can get the link on his page below; I'm not going to repost it.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3942

Drum, is that colour scheme absolutely official at this point? It seems a bit incomplete -e.g. no fleet numbers, TTC logos given identical prominence to Metrolinx and Bombardier logos, etc.

I finally did find it lnked from the comments on that blog.

If you took the current scheme on that page, dropped the grey and grafted the front end from the Metrolinx document on there I think it would be something I could live with.

These LRVs look fantastic - even better than the legacy streetcar replacements, which are themselves quite striking.

I hope the TTC will put out a full ad campaign on Transit City using these images. I think people will have a more positive view of TC, when they see the new LRV's are nothing like the CLRVs.

Looks like the big middle headlight (in addition to the two smaller ones) shown in the first drawings of the new streetcars at the transit symposium back in November has been axed by this point. That's a shame.

Back