News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

what exactly does that mean how are elevators not going to be accessible on the crosstown line.
Fully accessible elevators are ones that allow you to push the buttons without assistance. If Metrolinx designed an automated car wash it would work much the same as the automated car washes you see around town where you need to enter a code to have the door open, except the button panel wouldn't be placed anywhere near the driver's side door.

Fully accessible elevators are ones that allow you to push the buttons without assistance. If Metrolinx designed an automated car wash it would work much the same as the automated car washes you see around town where you need to enter a code to have the door open, except the button panel wouldn't be placed anywhere near the driver's side door.
Like the passenger side!

Station Fixation has an article about this. From the article:
"At Christie, the escalator was a retrofit, installed well after the construction of the station. The device’s base is located above the track ceiling below. There physically isn’t enough room for the mechanical equipment at the base of the escalator, for it to extend all the way down to the floor of the mezzanine level.
Similar escalators with steps may be found at Broadview and at King."

Transit Toronto also mentions the escalator:
"One of the odder features of Christie station is the escalator leading down from the main entrance to the mezzanine level. The escalator bottoms out a couple of feet above the mezzanine level floor, and passengers have to proceed down a short flight of four steps. This is because this escalator was added after the station opened. At this point, the escalator is directly above the subway tracks, and there is not enough space between the mezzanine floor and the platform ceiling to fit the mechanical workings of the escalator at its base."

Further to this....

I seem to recall that the escalator was installed in the early 1980s - well after the station itself was constructed.

I can imagine that if escalators were a requirement when the station was built, they would have designed the station differently, to allow them to be fitted without the steps leading up to them. But alas, they didn't, and so they do.

I also can't help but suspect that the because the escalator was retrofitted into the station that it's location was thus somewhat fixed in terms of where they could be located. It would have been nice to locate it without stairs leading to it, but I would imagine that a device as heavy as an escalator requires some structural reinforcing in the building around to support it, and so they may have been forced to locate it on one of the cross-beams above the subway level, or over a column. This may have precluded them from thus modifying the structure to fit it "properly" - they simply wouldn't have had the time or space to make the changes necessary.

Of course, in saying all this - I'm not a structural engineer, nor have I ever seen the reports/diagrams of the escalator's installation. It's all spitballing based on what little I do know about the field.

Dan

Further to this....

I seem to recall that the escalator was installed in the early 1980s - well after the station itself was constructed.

I can imagine that if escalators were a requirement when the station was built, they would have designed the station differently, to allow them to be fitted without the steps leading up to them. But alas, they didn't, and so they do.

I also can't help but suspect that the because the escalator was retrofitted into the station that it's location was thus somewhat fixed in terms of where they could be located. It would have been nice to locate it without stairs leading to it, but I would imagine that a device as heavy as an escalator requires some structural reinforcing in the building around to support it, and so they may have been forced to locate it on one of the cross-beams above the subway level, or over a column. This may have precluded them from thus modifying the structure to fit it "properly" - they simply wouldn't have had the time or space to make the changes necessary.

Of course, in saying all this - I'm not a structural engineer, nor have I ever seen the reports/diagrams of the escalator's installation. It's all spitballing based on what little I do know about the field.

Dan
If push comes to shove, the entrance and mezzanine would have to be rebuilt completely at a high price. It would be worth the cost.

A second entrance for Christie station would be great, especially one that leads directly into Christie Pits.

and where exactly are you seeing that the elevators on the crosstown line won't be fully accessible? Has there been something that has been put out to the public that says that they won't be?

and where exactly are you seeing that the elevators on the crosstown line won't be fully accessible? Has there been something that has been put out to the public that says that they won't be?
The TTC Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) which advises the TTC board on such matters reviewed the elevators in late 2018. It sounds like the contracts were signed so the fact there are no side panel buttons, but rather they are on the wall in a corner, cannot be adjusted. If you Google "ACAT Crosstown elevator panel" you will get a lot of meeting notes.

The TTC Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT) which advises the TTC board on such matters reviewed the elevators in late 2018. It sounds like the contracts were signed so the fact there are no side panel buttons, but rather they are on the wall in a corner, cannot be adjusted. If you Google "ACAT Crosstown elevator panel" you will get a lot of meeting notes.
Why do I need to google this and you can't provide a link.

Edit I tried to google it and found nothing.

Last edited:
If push comes to shove, the entrance and mezzanine would have to be rebuilt completely at a high price. It would be worth the cost.

A second entrance for Christie station would be great, especially one that leads directly into Christie Pits.
At what cost, though?

If the price was a Million dollars or two million, sure, have at it. That's a rounding error in the TTC's yearly budget.

But if the cost to rebuild the whole entrance structure was $50mil or more just to get rid of 3 stairs, is that really a worthwhile investment? Especially in light of the fact that the station will be made fully accessible through the use of elevators?

I do agree that a second entrance would be beneficial, however.

Dan

Broadview is a station that truly needs an overall/reconstruction. It really is too small for the demands that are placed on it.

Between the 2 streetcar routes, and the several bus routes, its surface platforms and the routes from those to the platform level are often quite crowded.

I believe it could be done (albeit not cheaply) without losing any heritage buildings on Danforth, cutting off some of the additions at the rear of the properties and taking some rear yard spaces.
At what cost, though?

If the price was a Million dollars or two million, sure, have at it. That's a rounding error in the TTC's yearly budget.

But if the cost to rebuild the whole entrance structure was $50mil or more just to get rid of 3 stairs, is that really a worthwhile investment? Especially in light of the fact that the station will be made fully accessible through the use of elevators?

I do agree that a second entrance would be beneficial, however.

Dan

It would be nice to have a TTC report on the technical feasibility and cost for addressing this issue; so that an informed discussion could consider whether it would be an intelligent investment.

Last edited:
Does Google provide different results for different people??
Yes it does.

Read here:

A popular search engine that is guaranteed to have the same results using the same search terms no matter who searches it is DuckDuckGo (it's not as comprehensive as Google, but it's good enough for the vast majority of searches) as DuckDuckGo doesn't collect personal information for "personalization."

Broadview is a station that truly needs an overall/reconstruction. It really is too small for the demands that are placed on it.

Between the 2 streetcar routes, and the several bus routes, its surface platforms and the routes from those to the platform level are often quite crowded.

I believe it could be done (albeit not cheaply) without losing any heritage buildings on Danforth, cutting off some of the additions at the rear of the properties and taking some rear yard spaces.
Why not use the parking lot right beside?

Why not use the parking lot right beside?

A portion of that likely would be useful, but it doesn't allow widening of the bus platform; or the associated connections to/from the platform; that would only facilitate lengthening of same.

It would be nice to have a TTC report on the technical feasibility and cost for addressing this issue; so that an informed discussion could consider whether it would be an intelligent investment.
Except I'm pretty sure there was such a report, or at least that it was requested by Paula Fletcher. A google search is not bringing me up the result I expected though.

The Google Maps view looks to me like the "additions" are actually TTC structures - traction power related maybe?
1614704042158.png

Back