News   May 06, 2024
 346     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 928     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 642     1 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

There's no final list yet for Phase IV, but ACAT in November reported it was looking at Kipling, Osgoode, St. George, Sheppard West, Downsview Park, and also highlighted North York Centre, York Mills, and Yorkdale.

That list is bizzare given how lightly used the stations are. I mean St George I can see but Downsview Park, North York Centre and Yorkdale?

That list is bizzare given how lightly used the stations are. I mean St George I can see but Downsview Park, North York Centre and Yorkdale?
The second two include two major GO interchanges. It wasn't clear who came up with the list, but I kind of got the feeling that the first group came from TTC, and the second group were raised by the committee ... but I"m only guessing.

There's no final list yet for Phase IV, but ACAT in November reported it was looking at Kipling, Osgoode, St. George, Sheppard West, Downsview Park, and also highlighted North York Centre, York Mills, and Yorkdale.

Kipling - Regional Bus Terminal
Osgoode - Relief Line Station
St. George - TTC interchange
Downsview Park - GO interchange w/Barrie Line
Yorkdale/York Mills - GO buses.

Only Sheppard West and North York Centre lack an obvious rationale other than general ridership volume, a metric for which many stations would be higher on a list.

Using the transfer station as key, one would expect Eglinton, Eglinton West, and Sheppard, and Queen and Pape if one includes Relief Line/OL stations.

For GO/Mx this would add Caledonia w/Crosstown, if that wasn't designed w/2 elevators, and Science Centre Station as it would meet O/L; along with Dundas West (future GO connection); and presumably the new
Scarborough Centre station as well. (GO Bus/Inter-regional BRT)

Kipling - Regional Bus Terminal
Osgoode - Relief Line Station
St. George - TTC interchange
Downsview Park - GO interchange w/Barrie Line
Yorkdale/York Mills - GO buses.

Only Sheppard West and North York Centre lack an obvious rationale other than general ridership volume, a metric for which many stations would be higher on a list.

Using the transfer station as key, one would expect Eglinton, Eglinton West, and Sheppard, and Queen and Pape if one includes Relief Line/OL stations.

For GO/Mx this would add Caledonia w/Crosstown, if that wasn't designed w/2 elevators, and Science Centre Station as it would meet O/L; along with Dundas West (future GO connection); and presumably the new
Scarborough Centre station as well. (GO Bus/Inter-regional BRT)
Sheppard West? Probably when Sheppard Line 4 gets extended from Sheppard-Yonge Station to Sheppard West Station (or whatever name it will have by then).

In fact, whenever they build or extend new rapid transit lines that transfer or connect with existing lines, they should include additional elevators. IE. Science Centre, Pape, Queen (& Yonge), Osgoode, Don Mills-Sheppard, Dundas West, etc..

Sheppard West? Probably when Sheppard Line 4 gets extended from Sheppard-Yonge Station to Sheppard West Station (or whatever name it will have by then).

In fact, whenever they build or extend new rapid transit lines that transfer or connect with existing lines, they should include additional elevators. IE. Science Centre, Pape, Queen (& Yonge), Osgoode, Don Mills-Sheppard, Dundas West, etc..

Don Mills needs more than just an extra elevator..

The entire Sheppard line is a nightmare whenever escalators malfunction. Getting from the subway platform to street level (or even the collector booth to the street) is a nightmare when the escalators are out. Bayview and Bessarion are a prime example of this.

Donlands Station update April 9, 2021

Excavation imminent for the new elevator at the main entrance
E19AC416-F6C9-44C5-AD5A-19D27C1CA585.jpeg
A526BA8F-8973-406C-9B84-EE59D021C88C.jpeg

17 and 19 Dewhurst were demolished some time ago and shoring has begun for the second entrance and tunnel to the west end of the platforms.
8409D4F6-24F9-444E-AA2D-FFE9A02DF136.jpeg
2387E243-3BC1-489C-A679-0DDC7415606B.jpeg
86476898-C717-4F61-848F-8F5DD07831C9.jpeg
88C4BE9A-4D57-4BA8-89DA-969E1BF7620F.jpeg

Crews have fenced off the front yards to a few lots to build the tunnels. As a result access to the front entrances is via the neighbours porches and gangways.
ECFC7F02-530A-4F19-AE43-2CEA32DFE20D.jpeg
498B0F0F-C5CA-428D-907E-5BC485B1B586.jpeg

As someone who uses Warden daily this is a half baked attempt at renovation. The structure that makes up the subway platform is decrepit and in need of repair just as much as the bus bays.

I get this is an attempt to make it AODA compliant but the subway platform is full of broken windows, dated fixtures etc.

My first thought; Look at the bright red ceilings! Nice burst of colour.

My second thought.........do we really need the PPUDO? I really think of this as something for stations next to highways or further out, rather than those increasingly in the heart of the urban area and well served by frequent feeder services.

My third thought, there was a plan to have CreateTO put a building this lot, does that leave sufficient unencumbered space? Are the new terminal facilities designed to be built over?

I think I would prefer to nix the PPUDO and build a terminal more in the style of Victoria Park station, hugging the subway building.

Last edited:
As someone who uses Warden daily this is a half baked attempt at renovation. The structure that makes up the subway platform is decrepit and in need of repair just as much as the bus bays.

I get this is an attempt to make it AODA compliant but the subway platform is full of broken windows, dated fixtures etc.

Some minor state-of-good repair work and a deep cleaning can be worked into the contract for sure.

You should email one of the TTC commissioners to bring that need to their attention.

Some alterations at the subway platform level will be made in order to get the elevator in place, and some additional work (glazing/painting etc.) can be done at the same time.

There will not be a whole-sale change out of wall tiles in all liklihood as that is beyond the project scope.

However, it is often the case that all lighting and ceilings are re-done during accessibility work, if only because the existing ceiling will be dropped during construction.

If you'd like to make sure the new ceiling and lighting finishes extend throughout, mention that!

Sherbourne is getting new ceiling and lighting right now as part of its elevator project.

Haven't seen the ceiling finishes, just the new bracket-system; the new lights are ......bland box lights......because no one asked for better!

Last edited:
Some minor state-of-good repair work and a deep cleaning can be worked into the contract for sure.

You should email one of the TTC commissioners to bring that need to their attention.

Some alterations at the subway platform level will be made in order to get the elevator in place, and some additional work (glazing/painting etc.) can be done at the same time.

There will not be a whole-sale change out of wall tiles in all liklihood as that is beyond the project scope.

However, it is often the case that all lighting and ceilings are re-done during accessibility work, if only because the existing ceiling will be dropped during construction.

If you'd like to make sure the new ceiling and lighting finishes extend throughout, mention that!

Sherbourne is getting new ceiling and lighting right now as part of its elevator project.

Haven't seen the ceiling finishes, just the new bracket-system; the new lights are ......bland box lights......because no one asked for better!

It's really just the Plexiglass panels that make up the "windows" trackside. They are near the ceiling but have been broken, damaged, etc over the past few decades but never replaced. The station itself looks just like it did when it was a terminal station at platform level.

Back