News   Feb 25, 2021
 1.6K     1 
News   Feb 25, 2021
 905     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

Nuts2020

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't believe the AODA requires more than one entrance of any station to be accessible--correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the majority of stations with more than one street level entrance only have (or are slated to have) one accessible entrance.

I also don't believe that it contains any provision such as this one I just made up: "you don't have to make more than one entrance of the station accessible, as long as each entrance is within 200 metres of an accessible entrance; if any entrance is more than 200 metres away from an accessible one, it must be made accessible".

Logically, at Spadina, it makes sense. The vast majority of the traffic at that station is undoubtedly for Line 2 and the 510. Additionally, while I do not know if these statistics are published, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of the surface level entry and exit to/from that station occurs at the entrances at Bloor and Spadina, and Bloor and Walmer; and also that the vast majority of the passengers for Line 1 there are transferring to/from Line 2 or the 510 or accessing those busier street level entrances/exits. I would be interested to know if there is an exact number of passengers daily/yearly/whatever who use the Kendal entrance--I would suspect it is a small number, on the order of 5% or less of the station's street-level traffic. So, having elevators from the Line 1 platform that enable a passenger to get to/from Line 2, the 510, and the Bloor-Spadina entrance, satisfies the vast majority of customer needs to the point that the station can be called accessible. And all that aside, I also expect that there are more daily Line 1/2 to/from 510 transfers, than there are surface level entries/exits, so Kendal might be in the 1% here, if not less.

I do sympathize with a hypothetical wheelchair-bound passenger living at or reasonably near Spadina and Kendal who wishes to get on Line 1. But realistically, it is probably a very, very small number of people. There are probably secondary entrances elsewhere in the system that might have hundreds of people with accessibility needs being forced to travel a total of maybe 150 or 200 metres to the nearest accessible entrance, per day; is it fair to say that, hypothetically, 5 people at Kendal being forced to go ~500 metres around, are suffering more than 100 or 200 people at some other station being forced to go 150-200 metres around? At any rate, while an interesting philosophical question, it would be a logistical and budgetary nightmare if the AODA required every entrance of every station to be accessible.

To provide some examples after curiosity got the better of me: using Google Maps' measure distance tool, at Yorkdale station with only the northern entrance being accessible and not the southern Ranee entrance, a passenger living at a house just west of the Ranee entrance could get there in 160 metres if they were on the south end of the train; if they were on the north end and had to use the northern exit, it takes 360 metres to get there, 200 metres longer. From the south end of Queen station to the north, it is 190m. I strongly expect that some of these secondary entrances have more, potentially many more, passengers with accessibility needs than Kendal does.
At the intersection of spadina and lowther there is a French school (Alliance Francaise) and I think the main building there may be considered “heritage” by the city of Toronto. I‘m wondering if the TTC had extensive consultations with the property owners (alliance francaise) and possibly the city since the buliding there might be considered “heritage” before excavating a shaft for the elevator for the line 1 part of Spadina Station?

I’m just giving my opinion on this issue because I’ve been to this location Alliance Francaise for French class for a few years.

B4AE7233-BDBA-4B09-8F04-35F57CAAFC12.jpeg

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
^I'm suprised there was no announcement at all.

Maybe my prediction was considered good enough. LOL (From Dec 19th, 2020)

Offhand, I think these were the stations to become accessible this year:

Royal York
Chester
Wellesley
Dupont
Runnymede
Wilson

Several more are due next year:

Bay * (Bay might actually finish this month)
Sherbourne
Lansdowne
Yorkdale
Keele
College

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC is only required to do the bare minimum of AODA, not what's convenient to customers.

Yes but accessing lower bay was for their benefit not for customers.

Currently it's only accesible by stairs with the platform being used for storage. You know how many times I've seen workers with dollies head down there?

It's not about AODA it's about making life easier for the TTC and it's workers.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think the TTC would want a publicly accessible elevator that can access an area not open to the public.

Yes but you can lock out certain floors. GO transit does it with one of the elevators in the trainshed that accesses the roof. They also do it with one at track 27 which accesses the basement