News   Aug 05, 2020
 2K     7 
News   Aug 05, 2020
 343     0 

Crosstown LRT | Metrolinx

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nevertheless I really don't see the big deal in asking for a link. I have respect and trust for everyone here. Just wanted to see the page/pdf in which trains on the surface section of the line were to start at the end of the year.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that?
Unfortunately, I don't. Just good eyes and a conveniently-placed chart in one of the site offices.

For the record, I don't work for TTC, Metrolinx, or any of the many associated consulting services that they hire. I do have many friends at most of those organizations, and many more.

Dan

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't. Just good eyes and a conveniently-placed chart in one of the site offices.

For the record, I don't work for TTC, Metrolinx, or any of the many associated consulting services that they hire. I do have many friends at most of those organizations, and many more.

Dan
Ah ok. Thank you :)

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its a shame the MSF is on the west side; they could have potentially opened up the at-grade portion from Kennedy to Laird sooner.

Obviously this section would not be as popular, but would give chance to work out kinks etc.

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Its a shame the MSF is on the west side; they could have potentially opened up the at-grade portion from Kennedy to Laird sooner.

Obviously this section would not be as popular, but would give chance to work out kinks etc.
Yeah, that would certainly help. The Confederation Line was fortunate enough to have the MSF located just off the former Transitway routing, so they were able to finish that part first and do train testing long before the tunnel portion was finished. Not that that did a whole lot of good in avoiding issues, but I digress.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score

Wasn't one of the benefits of the Crosstown-Scarborough LRT connection to a Sheppard LRT that they could've also used the Sheppard MSF?

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, that would certainly help. The Confederation Line was fortunate enough to have the MSF located just off the former Transitway routing, so they were able to finish that part first and do train testing long before the tunnel portion was finished. Not that that did a whole lot of good in avoiding issues, but I digress.
haha yeah thats not really a good example in hindsight haha

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wasn't one of the benefits of the Crosstown-Scarborough LRT connection to a Sheppard LRT that they could've also used the Sheppard MSF?
There were a few different plans that would have done that job:

1) The original TC plan which had the Scarborough-Malvern LRT connecting to the east end of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
2) The combined Eglinton-Scarborough LRT which would have connected to either the new MSF on Sheppard or the existing SRT MSF (which would have been refurbished for LRT).

haha yeah thats not really a good example in hindsight haha
The idea was good, the execution was, shall we say, lacking.

kali

Member Bio
Reaction score
first thing that popped to mind when someone mentions problems in Ottawa, but I could be wrong. Didn't follow very closely.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^I’m not sure why it matters which part gets commissioned first. The key testing will be end to end.

One does not locate the MSF to facilitate commissioning. One locates it for other reasons. Like land availability and cost.

Commissioning bugs and glitches are a bit like losing your keys - they always turn up in the last place you look. Or in this case, the last place you test. Whatever gets finished first will have to sit idle until the last bit is completed. I’d be more worried about something not being right in the underground sections, as that might be much harder to correct.

- Paul