News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 762     0 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

I don't mind these station makeovers. As long as a few of the stations are restored to their opening day form I don't see a need to have all stations stay the same. I too don't see how this is a unique station art design though. To award the art project to an entry which is so similar to what has already been done seems unfair to other entries. Surely one of the criteria should be uniqueness.

These stations will need restoration in some form to keep our system from looking like parking garage basements. Even the stations to be kept in their opening day state will need to be totally refitted at some point to deal with leaks and disrepair. I wish they would do something about installing electrical conduits where they can't be seen. We aren't as fortunate to have a system as asthetically pleasing as many in Europe but our system definitely is more inviting than Boston, Chicago, and New York. I think making the system inviting is probably good for improving ridership and allowing people to feel safer.

Last edited:
Some of the tile patterns are okay, but it has to be admitted that some of the peripheral stations (Kipling, Glencairn) and older downtown stations (St Patrick) are decorated in a manner nobody would shed a tear over.

Restore the original designs where you can if you can, but in stations where the original design is long gone/barely recognizable, don't be afraid to perform some major surgery. Ensure that the designs will age well, naturally, but do something with them. Why not work with the patterns already set, but change the colours to something more neutral? For example, replace the "sickly green" with a different shade, or a different colour altogether, and do the same with its equivalent at the other end. Not all the stations need a major transition; just a little brush-up and power-washing.

Last edited:
Hey there 299 Bloor Call Control, where did you get that cross-section image?

I feel like the TTC is trying to limit availability of images for this project. They told me they would post them on their website at the previous open house, but only one very small image appeared. I asked again yesterday, and the woman at the desk asked if I was media before giving me a very vague and BS answer.

Thanks for posting it.

Some of the tile patterns are okay, but it has to be admitted that some of the peripheral stations (Kipling, Glencairn) and older downtown stations (St Patrick) are decorated in a manner nobody would shed a tear over.

Kipling, I understand. But Glencairn is one of the architect-designed 1978 Spadina-line stations (albeit sans its original Rita Letendre skylight murals, which deteriorated and were removed with the artist's approval), and St Patrick is one of the two University line "tube" stations which have long been sentimental favourites among casual TTCers, and one whose platform levels have (thankfully) haven't been all that altered over 45 years (though yes, it's earmarked for AGOing...)

Kipling, I understand. But Glencairn is one of the architect-designed 1978 Spadina-line stations (albeit sans its original Rita Letendre skylight murals, which deteriorated and were removed with the artist's approval), and St Patrick is one of the two University line "tube" stations which have long been sentimental favourites among casual TTCers, and one whose platform levels have (thankfully) haven't been all that altered over 45 years (though yes, it's earmarked for AGOing...)

Yes, I'd definitely "shed a tear" over Glencairn, as there was definitely an elevated effort which went into designing that station. From the massive glass skylight to those monumental concrete pillars and the unique red seats in the glass enclosed waiting areas, I can't accept that someone would think the station is not worth anything in terms of design. In time, section 37 money from local projects could be used to replicate the mural (and the same goes for Yorkdale station's missing artwork) with modern materials or create similar works.

As for this station, the artwork seems to be cheap, once again, and not worth ruining the original aesthetic. Though it must be remembered that the BD stations wee quite lacking from the beginning. Most weren't designed to allow nature light to penetrate beyond ground level, public art wasn't given any consideration, and no elevators, air conditioning or washrooms were installed. Even landscaping was shunned at most stations. It's why I've always been an advocate of enhancing, though not destroying the stations.

Why is the secondary exit Russett to the west, and not Gladstone to the east? Seeing as the gap between Dufferin and Ossington Stns is wider than that of to Lansdowne, it should've been a no-brainer. That side's more commercial too with even some loft projects in the area.

I wouldn't change Glencairn. The only station north of Bloor on the Spadina line I would consider touching is Wilson which needs to have its ugly painted metal slats removed. Wilson's platform level is a mess. It would be nice to have Yorkdale restored to its original condition with the coloured lighting as well.

Why is the secondary exit Russett to the west, and not Gladstone to the east? Seeing as the gap between Dufferin and Ossington Stns is wider than that of to Lansdowne, it should've been a no-brainer. That side's more commercial too with even some loft projects in the area.

That is where the west end of the platform is.

This project is to take 3 years.

I love the answer from the Chair of TTC why not put in 2 elevators and said another law suite TTC will loose if someone push for it now.

Anyone with accessibility needs today have to go to a station that is 2 stop away in either direction. It maybe one station come 2018, but it still 2km trip to get back to the stop in the first place if it breaks down.

There are changes from the first PIC and a better colour layout.

I think modernization to BD stations are fine as long as some of the original station tiles (including those that form the name of the station at platform level), and as long as the ceilings, lighting, etc. get fixed and/or upgraded. Aesthetically, I don't think the BD should have first priority. Dundas, King and Spadina's YUS platform require much more attention.

I'd like to see a uniform art project for all BD stations, as they were originally designed in one shot. One idea I've considered is to pixellate images of Bloor Street or Danforth Avenue above each station, and then recreate those images in mosaic form on part of the platform level walls (just like Sheppard-Yonge station). I think it's a good idea since most people who come from Scarborough and Etobicoke traveling in the subway have no idea what they're traveling under. Perhaps these mosaics would make them think about exploring the neighbourhoods above the stations.

Looks like the TTC designers did the rendering in Google Sketchup... the people in that cross-section look awfully similar to the ones I use!

Last edited:
Aesthetically, I don't think the BD should have first priority. Dundas, King and Spadina's YUS platform require much more attention.

I don't think Spadina on the YUS line needs much attention. The only attention it needs is for the bulbs on the sophisticated looking backlit signage to be replaced. Those round tiles are some of the richer tiles in the system with subtle variation in colour, and with the black strip with the station name adding modern elegance. The 1970s "brick" floor tiles go with it nicely too.

I wouldn't change Glencairn. The only station north of Bloor on the Spadina line I would consider touching is Wilson which needs to have its ugly painted metal slats removed. Wilson's platform level is a mess. It would be nice to have Yorkdale restored to its original condition with the coloured lighting as well.

I *might* be open to changes to St Clair West as well--coincidentally or not, that and Wilson were the only 1978 Spadina line stations designed "in-house".

I *might* be open to changes to St Clair West as well--coincidentally or not, that and Wilson were the only 1978 Spadina line stations designed "in-house".

True. I never put St.Clair West on my bad list because some elements of the station layout seem to make up for the crappy asthetics. I love the escalator landing in the middle of an open bus platform and the open view down to the subway platform. The barcode tiling and strange brick pattern really doesn't add much but the lighting, regular brick, concrete treatment, and the colourful wall is nice. Both Wilson and St.Clair West have some great points but they need to be brought together in a more cohesive way.

Back