News   Jun 28, 2024
 95     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 271     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 336     0 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

The tile looks nice. But without updating the look of the flooring as well as the ceiling, it will be a wasted opportunity.

As far as "bad/good" goes, I'd equate it more w/the first TTC subway renos ever: Osgoode + St Andrew...

So, bad then. Do they even hire architects/designers for these things, or do the engineers run this part of the TTC too?

Then again, I'd term Osgoode/St Andrew "best of a bad lot"--maybe in part because they came first, back in the mid-70s or so. (I even prefer them to the Yonge extension stations: less self-consciously "wide-lapelled"...)

If you have seen Runnymede, St George and Chester, than you have seen Dufferin platforms before the construction.

Anyway, here are videos of the station starting with the eastbound platform. Youtube has a bubble issue.

I prefer the eastbound over the westbound. If there was less white around the name, it would look better. I expect and have to wait that the east end of the eastbound will look like the westbound exposed now. The artwork adds to it.
[video=youtube;UN94UBRoKYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN94UBRoKYE[/video]

Westbound Platform
[video=youtube;7HuT5rsctYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuT5rsctYw[/video]

Wonder why they didn't do the platform end while they were doing that section? Hopefully they aren't leaving that piece as the only untouched wall.

That is for the 2nd exit location to be built at a later date.

Dufferin station needs to look less tacky. Since Dufferin station is near the Croatian part of Toronto, it should have decorations based on Dubrovnik (also known as Ragusa) and given Dufferin station's proximity to both Little Italy and Corso Italia, some Italian Renaissance art (but those that do not look similar to that of Pape station's ancient Greek art (especially given that ancient Roman art appropriated much of ancient Greek art)) would be good as well.

Dufferin is near the Portugese area too. Maybe it should have Portugese decorations as well.

will they clean up the ceiling?

You would think so. It sure would look poor to do the walls and floors and not do the ceiling. A good coat of white paint will help, along with better lighting.

Now lets starting adding benches or seating areas that are built into the wall.

wow, even by TTC standards, the quality of this reno is unbelievably poor.

BBqheYPCQAAhMk9.jpg:large

Back