News   Jul 25, 2024
 313     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 410     0 

TTC: Customer Service

TTC Bosses Face Their Public

Read More: http://torontoist.com/2013/03/ttc-bosses-face-their-public/

TTCRiders: http://www.ttcriders.ca/

Byford said this culture change is one of three main policy planks the TTC is focusing on, along with updating equipment and updating processes. He admitted that the commission has a long way to go.

- This is where TTCriders comes in. The advocacy group wants passengers to have more say in transit decisions. As member and event organizer Luca De Franco told us, “These are the conversations that need to happen with the TTC brass so that they’re accountable to the public. And the public can feel like their opinion has a tangible influence.â€

- Accessibility was another popular topic. There were questions about adding occasional buses to streetcar lines to accommodate users with accessibility needs (this is something the TTC won’t do, Upfold said, since that bus would better serve the system elsewhere). Another attendee asked what progress has been made in making stations more accessible (answer: Byford hopes the entire system will be fully accessible by 2025, with at least Pape Station ready this year).

- On most issues, Byford and Upfold were direct and sympathetic. Byford agreed with an attendee who commented that any problems with front line staff being rude originate with management, something the CEO says he’s working hard to change. “The default message to staff should be to cherish them, believe them, and develop them. If you do the right thing, we’ll defend you the hilt. But if you’re reckless—we’re all adults here—we have to put you out.†Byford says this approach is something the unions agree with, too.

20130320ttcriderstownhall.jpg

Seriously. That's how the subway works. The passengers won't notice much. If necessary you tighten the schedule by 1 minute or so on each bus to get it back again.

Part of the problem though is the TTC schedules aren't realistic in the first place - and what might work at 3:45 doesn't work at 4:15.

Hell they don't work at 4am. Went to get a 310 that was 5 minutes ahead of schedule to the point I miss it. Next one was supposed to be 22 based on the schedule and was 4 minutes late. So much for the +/- 3 minutes schedule.

As for the subway, see this delay all the time to the point it is done at many station as well crawling the route. Makes no different what time of day it is.

Hell they don't work at 4am. Went to get a 310 that was 5 minutes ahead of schedule to the point I miss it. Next one was supposed to be 22 based on the schedule and was 4 minutes late. So much for the +/- 3 minutes schedule.
Yeah, no excuse for that. Need better scheduling and line management - particularly for overnight buses. I had similar problems in the evening for the Graydon Hall route, which was always ahead of schedule, and impossible to catch running only once every 30 minutes. I wasn't until my office had moved away from there, when NextBus came on line, that I could consistently see how bad it was every day.

The TTC should consider reorganizing the bus bays at Kennedy Station so that the #116 Morningside, #86 Scarborough and #34 Eglinton East (to Kingston Rd.) are not all grouped together. The crowds during peak hours are too much on that side of the bus platform.

The TTC should consider reorganizing the bus bays at Kennedy Station so that the #116 Morningside, #86 Scarborough and #34 Eglinton East (to Kingston Rd.) are not all grouped together. The crowds during peak hours are too much on that side of the bus platform.

Um, I think they're grouped together for a reason. Otherwise someone headed east on Eglinton would have to scramble between distant bus platforms to get the next bus to their destination.

Um, I think they're grouped together for a reason. Otherwise someone headed east on Eglinton would have to scramble between distant bus platforms to get the next bus to their destination.

Well they have to do something about the crowds. Why not try putting a less busier bus route in between the #116 and #86?

The TTC has standby subway trains at various locations (sidings, storage yards) that are put into service whenever there is a gap due to some interruption in subway service. In theory.

I would assume that buses could be pressed into service from the various garages. However, I think they should also have standby buses parked along routes (like Dufferin) where it is known there are problems.

Because of the streetcar shortage, we will have to wait until the TTC has enough of the new streetcars to do the same. Except that there is a lack of sidings or areas for extra streetcars to park to be on standby, except at the barns. I would like to see the TTC spend a little extra to put in sidings at loops or tail tracks, to have them on standby.

TTC introduces the "personal car" - expires at noon April Fool's Day

[video=youtube;7e8BmBoQv5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8BmBoQv5U[/video]

If the personal car is indeed personal, then the TTC should allow people to put posters on top of the advertisements in the personal car. It also needs Wi-Fi as well and a publicly accessible power outlet. Since there are no washrooms on the Y-U-S line between Wilson and Bloor-Yonge, there should be a personal washroom at the "jail" in Museum station, as long as it does not defile the artwork there.

TTC subways only start running at 9am on Sundays. I was interested to know why and found this article where the TTC explains that some weekly maintenance requires several hours and that Sunday morning is the best time to shut down the subway to do it. http://torontoist.com/2009/11/rocket_talk_1/

I am not a transit expert. But I am interested to know if subway systems require this maintenance, then how does Montreal for example manage to start running its metros at 5am on Sundays? (I understand this is a different system which is entirely underground and runs on rubber tires.) Boston’s system, which is much older and also runs partially above ground operates early in the morning on Sunday as well.

Because most other subway systems run early on Sundays I am skeptical of the TTC’s answer. Is this is a case of the TTC just being slow with maintenance work? Or are they not starting the work as soon as the subway stops running? I’m interested if anyone knows…

But I am interested to know if subway systems require this maintenance, then how does Montreal for example manage to start running its metros at 5am on Sundays?
The Toronto subway shuts down for about 4.5 hours each night and 7.5 hours on Sunday mornings. That's 34.5 hours a week of shutdown.

Montreal shuts down 5 hours each night, except 4.5 hours on Saturday morning. That's 34.5 hours a week of shutdown.

Both seem to have the same down-time per week, but are proportioned differently.

Boston seems to shut down about 6 hours every night, and 6.5 hours Sunday morning. That's 42.5 hours a week of shutdown.

Surely the answer is that all systems need maintenance, and Toronto has no more than the ones you are mentioning. Given the last train is before 1 AM in Montreal and Boston, I'm happier with what we have. Personally I'm much more likely to be on the subway at 1 AM, than I am at 7 AM Sunday morning.

Approved on April 9

I wondering how TTC is going to deal with this???
St. Clair TTC Transfers as it affects Scarborough Community
Community Council Recommendations
Scarborough Community Council recommends that City Council request the Toronto Transit Commission to report to Scarborough Community Council on the fairness and equity considering the TTC St. Clair Avenue transfer had a temporary two- hour time limit in 2006 at the expense of the other residents of the City of Toronto.
Summary
Councillor Del Grande requested the Scarborough Community Council to add this item to the agenda. There was no written material.
Motions
1 - Motion to Add New Business at Committee moved by Councillor Mike Del Grande (Carried)

2 - Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Mike Del Grande (Carried)
That Scarborough Community Council recommend that City Council request the Toronto Transit Commission to report to Scarborough Community Council on the fairness and equity considering the TTC St. Clair Avenue transfer had a temporary two-hour time limit in 2006 at the expense of the other residents of the City of Toronto.

Back