News   Jul 15, 2024
 21     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

My comments elsewhere that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put up the Cherry overhead until next year seems to be wrong. Over the last week they've been working to install the overhead, at least between King and Eastern. I didn't spot any sign of anything at Cherry Loop over the weekend.
Yes, they are installing overhead on Sumach/Cherry going south from King, as of yesterday they had done at least some work south as far as Front. There are still a couple of poles needed at the loop but I assume it is not hard to do this work - no need to allow for service or worry about other traffic - and probably easier and more pleasant to work in the warmer weather. They can also put crews onto it as time allows and move them to deal with emergencies as necessary.

Cherry.PNG

Somehow I had never previously noticed that the Cherry rail signal tower is smack in the way of an extension of the Cherry track through the heavy rail embankment. Is that tower still connected to anything, even if remotely controlled, or could it be shifted over a bit for preservation purposes without disruption to signalling while allowing a punch through?

Attachments

• Cherry.PNG
    Cherry.PNG
    890.4 KB · Views: 876
Been trying to find time to get back down to Cherry St, but going from memory, none of the poles are up south of King. There been some report of some poles going up with overhead at King, but not seen by these eyes yet.

As for the tower, it was either plan to be removed from the site or relocated. Until I find the minutes of various meetings related to the Cherry St EA going back 7 years or so, very dark place at this time for info. Not on my due list at this time.

Been trying to find time to get back down to Cherry St, but going from memory, none of the poles are up south of King. There been some report of some poles going up with overhead at King, but not seen by these eyes yet.

The TTC poles were all put up on Cherry last year except for one or two at the very south end (at the loop.) I think because they would have blocked an entrance to the temporary Pan-Am parking lot. As noted above they are putting up overhead, a couple of days ago they had the 'stringers' up down to Front.

Somehow I had never previously noticed that the Cherry rail signal tower is smack in the way of an extension of the Cherry track through the heavy rail embankment. Is that tower still connected to anything, even if remotely controlled, or could it be shifted over a bit for preservation purposes without disruption to signalling while allowing a punch through?

It's only in the way if they decide to continue the side-of-the-road alignment south to Lakeshore. The EA took into account two different methods of going underneath the rail corridor - side-of-the-road, and middle of the road/mixed traffic. I don't recall seeing that one or the other was chosen.

In any case, yes, the tower is still actively used and will continue to be until 2019 or so. Metrolinx has no plans for them after that date, but the Toronto Railway Museum would like to keep one of the towers once they've been decommissioned - preferably that one.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's only in the way if they decide to continue the side-of-the-road alignment south to Lakeshore. The EA took into account two different methods of going underneath the rail corridor - side-of-the-road, and middle of the road/mixed traffic. I don't recall seeing that one or the other was chosen.

In any case, yes, the tower is still actively used and will continue to be until 2019 or so. Metrolinx has no plans for them after that date, but the Toronto Railway Museum would like to keep one of the towers once they've been decommissioned - preferably that one.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Integrating LRT underneath the tower would make a nice restoration project.

Integrating LRT underneath the tower would make a nice restoration project.

Except that putting the LRT through the ground floor would completely ruin the historical significance of the building, as that is where all of the important mechanical bits live.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My gut instinct is that shifting the entire tower eastwards and keeping a side alignment (or punching the portal through east of the tower, depending on where the southern portal exit best addresses the Cherry-Lake Shore-Queens Quay rework) is better than a mixed traffic approach which seems to me unless really well designed to combine the worst attributes of the Keele St bridge over 512 and the side-to-centre change on Queens Quay.

When oh when are they going to reopen Cherry??? Why is it still closed a month after the end of PanAm? When will it open?

When oh when are they going to reopen Cherry??? Why is it still closed a month after the end of PanAm? When will it open?

According to the City of Toronto's road closure map, the entire area will reopen on September 30th at 12:00 PM. Hopefully it does in fact open on that date--on that site they have been known to extend the duration of a closure on the last day.

According to the City of Toronto's road closure map, the entire area will reopen on September 30th at 12:00 PM. Hopefully it does in fact open on that date--on that site they have been known to extend the duration of a closure on the last day.
It will then be closed again - soon I think - at the rail bridge while Waterfront Toronto tunnel for a sewer connection. They say 6 weeks and it is not clear, to me, if it will be closed in both directions.

Back