News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

There is still no overhead wiring south of King Street, it would not take long to put it up as all the poles (except a few at the loop) are there but the TTC has said they do not intend to run service on Cherry until 'spring 2016' - which I bet means later , probably not until when the first of the WDL buildings are occupied. My guess is that we will see the wiring put up by April or May next year and the first service next summer.

The TTC had/has a shortage of streetcars now. This coming winter should be better, but just in case, they don't have a full fleet available should the CLRV's experience the same problems as last winter. The TTC is likely waiting for a more complete fleet of unbroken streetcars before they will start to use Cherry Street.

Presumably during rush-hour, the vehicles using Cherry loop will be the ones currently scheduled to short-turn at Parliament. Which are mostly 504 buses.

I wonder if they might do like the do with the 87 COSBURN bus have Cherry street be like the trip over to East York Acres be like every third streetcar each way will detour to it.

I wonder if they might do like the do with the 87 COSBURN bus have Cherry street be like the trip over to East York Acres be like every third streetcar each way will detour to it.

Huh?

I'm pretty sure that you don't understand how the 87 operates.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Sorry I'm not a 100% acurite with my description of t but that's what it looks to me when I've seen the schedule
I think what you were trying to say was that every Xth streetcar on the 504 route eastbound would only go to Cherry. This is essentially how the TTC use the rush-hour 504 buses as nfitz notes and is most likely how they will run the Cherry service when it finally starts. At that time one hopes there will be time-based transfers so people wanting to go further east can either wait at King and Sumach-Cherry for the next 504 'through car' or even walk up the short block of Sumach to Queen and catch a 501

At that time one hopes there will be time-based transfers so people wanting to go further east can either wait at King and Sumach-Cherry for the next 504 'through car' or even walk up the short block of Sumach to Queen and catch a 501
One hopes - but even if there isn't, it would surely be a perfectly valid walking transfer - all of 160 metres; less than the length of a subway platform.

If when the East Bayfront streetcar is hooked up to the Cherry spur, will it operate as its own line between Union and Cherry Loop? Or as branches of the 504 and 501? Or I guess both.

If when the East Bayfront streetcar is hooked up to the Cherry spur, will it operate as its own line between Union and Cherry Loop? Or as branches of the 504 and 501? Or I guess both.
By that time we will be onto the next generation of streetcars, a bit soon to know (0r worry about) how it will operate.

I think what you were trying to say was that every Xth streetcar on the 504 route eastbound would only go to Cherry. This is essentially how the TTC use the rush-hour 504 buses as nfitz notes and is most likely how they will run the Cherry service when it finally starts. At that time one hopes there will be time-based transfers so people wanting to go further east can either wait at King and Sumach-Cherry for the next 504 'through car' or even walk up the short block of Sumach to Queen and catch a 501

Yes that's what I was thinking but at the same time seeing them use it more outside of rush hour as well.

Presumably they'd be running extra vehicles outside of rush-hour. And at rush-hour, they'd be using something similar to what they run now, but loop the vehicles at Cherry loop rather than Parliament/Broadview (etc.).

Presumably they'd be running extra vehicles outside of rush-hour. And at rush-hour, they'd be using something similar to what they run now, but loop the vehicles at Cherry loop rather than Parliament/Broadview (etc.).

I wonder if they thought of building a loop the loop track into it so they could have an out of service car in there as well?

Sorry I'm not a 100% acurite with my description of t but that's what it looks to me when I've seen the schedule

You may want to read it a bit closer. East York Acres is served by every vehicle outside of rush hours until about 9pm.

Anyways, going back to the topic at hand, Service Planning is still throwing around ideas about how the service patterns will be run. One idea that they seem to like is that it will be a separate route that will run to Dufferin Loop, providing a bit of additional service along the busiest part of King, much as the 502 (is supposed to) provides additional service along Queen East.

Of course, a lot of the discussions are still theoretical as the TTC doesn't have enough streetcars to run the service is has now, nevermind anything additional.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

My comments elsewhere that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put up the Cherry overhead until next year seems to be wrong. Over the last week they've been working to install the overhead, at least between King and Eastern. I didn't spot any sign of anything at Cherry Loop over the weekend.

Reactions: rbt

Back