News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

Again though, why? This feels like building a subway for the sake of it rather than addressing a need in the community.
We all know that Humber bay shores should have better transit. Sherway is going to see the same amount of buildings but it is much easier to service. As much as I would love to see more and more development along subway lines often proposals get blocked because of NIMBYs. If that wasn’t the case we would have had way more proposals and buildings along both the danforth and bloor west. Instead only Yonge gets developed. You know where NIMBYs don’t go up in arms? When the condos are taking over huge parking lots. So whether I think it’s the best city building or not what I know is that Sherway will have no problem selling a whole bunch of condos. Those condos are coming whether a subway comes or not. I would much prefer those people have motivation to use transit than them being enticed to jump on a highway.

You know where NIMBYs don’t go up in arms? When the condos are taking over huge parking lots.
You sure about that?..

1669645874657.png

source

HBS will be getting transit service with the Park Lawn GO station. It is really just a matter of running more service on Lakeshore West. That neighbourhood will have excellent transit connectivity. I'm not sure what more people could want--a subway to parallel Lakeshore West?

Reactions: rbt
HBS will be getting transit service with the Park Lawn GO station. It is really just a matter of running more service on Lakeshore West. That neighbourhood will have excellent transit connectivity. I'm not sure what more people could want--a subway to parallel Lakeshore West?
Trust me, it's not enough for the area. As i've mentioned many times, it's set to become the densest area in the country in just a few years...to be served by 1 GO station, 1 bus route, and 1 streetcar route.

Trust me, it's not enough for the area. As i've mentioned many times, it's set to become the densest area in the country in just a few years...to be served by 1 GO station, 1 bus route, and 1 streetcar route.
Density in isolated pockets like that does not necessarily mean the planned transit network will be overburdened. Most ridership on the TTC comes from transfers, anyway; I think a dedicated GO station is enough of a signal that the area will be well-served. However, I will agree that southern Etobicoke will need some other transit that isn't downtown-oriented, and will likely come in some form with the Ontario Line extensions and its various tendrils as seen in the 2051 GGH plan. If not, a streetcar line that heads towards Kipling should suffice.

That is from the woodside square tear down. This is a vastly different neighbourhood. As some who used to live at midland and finch I know why there are nimbys protesting the woodside square development. Because there are people that already actually live there in apartments, condos, townhouses. So they wrongly think enough is enough. Sherway has no one living there. If Walmart rips down for development Home Depot isn’t going to complain. Their land will be worth more. If toys r us goes down winners isn’t going to complain then their land is worth more. Not only will there be no or far less NIMBYs but massive parking lots are far easier to develop than downtown where you often have to land assemble. Downtown a developer might have to buy out four or five buildings to put up one tower. Here all you need to buy is one parking lot to put up four or five towers. It is significantly easier.

Density in isolated pockets like that does not necessarily mean the planned transit network will be overburdened. Most ridership on the TTC comes from transfers, anyway; I think a dedicated GO station is enough of a signal that the area will be well-served.
A GO station will help dramatically there's no doubt about that, but it's really nowhere near enough for the area. There's a good chunk of the population in this area that would be a fair distance away from this station and they would need a reliable way to get to the station, and reliable and TTC are 2 words that dont mix well together just like oil and water dont.

But in any case, the Bloor-Danforth line will never be extended to that neighborhood so that's neither here nor there.

A GO station will help dramatically there's no doubt about that, but it's really nowhere near enough for the area. There's a good chunk of the population in this area that would be a fair distance away from this station and they would need a reliable way to get to the station, and reliable and TTC are 2 words that dont mix well together just like oil and water dont.

But in any case, the Bloor-Danforth line will never be extended to that neighborhood so that's neither here nor there.
I keep seeing a waterfront LRT suggested but wonder how would it be different than the current streetcar line, I saw proposals for new track but how much redundancy will we have? Will it be standard gauged or ttc etc

I keep seeing a waterfront LRT suggested but wonder how would it be different than the current streetcar line, I saw proposals for new track but how much redundancy will we have? Will it be standard gauged or ttc etc
All the documents are online and you can find plenty of info on this site. You can find everything you want to know about the last updated plans with a little digging

All the documents are online and you can find plenty of info on this site. You can find everything you want to know about the last updated plans with a little digging
I was able to find bits and pieces. I feel like it'll never happen so the city keeps changing everything to suit whatever made up plan sounds good this week.

I was able to find bits and pieces. I feel like it'll never happen so the city keeps changing everything to suit whatever made up plan sounds good this week.
No kidding

Loop was to be at Parliament back in 2008 plans. Phase 2 was to Lower Cherry St Loop once the QQ road extension got built between Parliament and Lower Cherry St. Phase 3 to Polson Loop. Phase 4 along Commissioner St to the Leslie Barns.

Today it may go to Commissioner St and loop before the Mouth of the Don that was supposed to had seen a fall public meeting this year. It will now be Q1 2023 and summer when it will go to Council for more funds to get to 90% design and a cost for it.

2030 will come and go as well still been talked about doing it like 2014 for phase 1 to be in service. City talks 2040+ for Commissioner St extension and more like 2050. Always saw the extension to Polson around 2035, if at all.

May see an extension to Cloverdale around 2035 for line 2. Any thought for Mississauga around 2075.

Reactions: PL1
No kidding

Loop was to be at Parliament back in 2008 plans. Phase 2 was to Lower Cherry St Loop once the QQ road extension got built between Parliament and Lower Cherry St. Phase 3 to Polson Loop. Phase 4 along Commissioner St to the Leslie Barns.

Today it may go to Commissioner St and loop before the Mouth of the Don that was supposed to had seen a fall public meeting this year. It will now be Q1 2023 and summer when it will go to Council for more funds to get to 90% design and a cost for it.

2030 will come and go as well still been talked about doing it like 2014 for phase 1 to be in service. City talks 2040+ for Commissioner St extension and more like 2050. Always saw the extension to Polson around 2035, if at all.

May see an extension to Cloverdale around 2035 for line 2. Any thought for Mississauga around 2075.
My money is that some new low rent councillor will push to scrap the lrt because it's too similar to the 501 line lol

There's certainly an opportunity for more transit, but I don't know what form that should take really. It's more a question of where you are trying to connect. It seems like our main opportunities in the near future are WWLRT, BD extension to Sherway (not really that useful in this case), and the Ontario Line W/427 OL loop. Maybe Kipling will host some form of rapid transit, be it BRT or LRT (the latter couldn't really be justified for a very long route though).

Back