News   Apr 26, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 579     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

Submitted without comment.
1672845826773.png

^ Does anyone remember how it scored on that assessment TO City Planning did back in the Keesmaat era?

Except for being entirely wrong, its a fine comment, LOL

Reece sometimes needs to exercise a bit more self-restraint.
I grant his analysis isn’t always of the depth it could be… but neither is that of the politicians. With that said, the sense that some folks try to create that there’s something almost inherently distasteful or unserious about discussing expansion that isn’t already on the political radar really annoys me.

I grant his analysis isn’t always of the depth it could be… but neither is that of the politicians. With that said, the sense that some folks try to create that there’s something almost inherently distasteful or unserious about discussing expansion that isn’t already on the political radar really annoys me.

There's nothing wrong w/discussing expansion, and nothing wrong w/discussing Line 2 western expansion which is in current plans, at least on paper, albeit about 20 years from now.

What's wrong is misrepresenting entirely the ease of construction and the form the line would take. He has clearly given the matter virtually no research or in depth attention, that can be found right here on UT or via a number of other online resources.
I have argued for a one-stop extension to Cloverdale as being a sound, cost-effective extension to consider in the near term. (points beyond that are harder to justify in the light of other priorities). But even that short extension cannot be entirely, or perhaps even mainly on the surface.

Its irritating to see falsehoods like that put out to a mass audience.

There's nothing wrong w/discussing expansion, and nothing wrong w/discussing Line 2 western expansion which is in current plans, at least on paper, albeit about 20 years from now.

What's wrong is misrepresenting entirely the ease of construction and the form the line would take. He has clearly given the matter virtually no research or in depth attention, that can be found right here on UT or via a number of other online resources.
I have argued for a one-stop extension to Cloverdale as being a sound, cost-effective extension to consider in the near term. (points beyond that are harder to justify in the light of other priorities). But even that short extension cannot be entirely, or perhaps even mainly on the surface.

Its irritating to see falsehoods like that put out to a mass audience.
Cloverdale makes a lot of sense. Existing and increasing densities, multiple existing and opportunities for bus connections. Sherway, besides seeming to be that much more complicated and expensive to build, does not seem to really have much density or connection now, and what will it have in 20 years? Some increasing density around the mall itself - yes, But west into Mississauga is primarily single family until you hit 10...oops, I mean Hurontario. North is industrial, south is bounded by the QEW (and presumably the attraction of the Lakeshore GO and presumably, one day, the rejuvenated streetcar service), and East is the 427. Bus connections from Mississauga - yes, but how much are you attracting vs the pull of the Hazel McCallion Line. The advantage of the Bloor Line is that it does not go directly to Union, and for many, that is an advantage. I guess we will wait until city staff reports in the first quarter of this year re the motion from 2022 re the needs of transit in South Etobicoke.

I don't think the powers that be are in any hurry to extend line 2 given that they just built a brand new bus terminal at Kipling. We'll see Ontario Line extensions before we ever see Line 2 extensions imo.

I don't think the powers that be are in any hurry to extend line 2 given that they just built a brand new bus terminal at Kipling. We'll see Ontario Line extensions before we ever see Line 2 extensions imo.
That bus terminal was a huge mistake. It’s almost worth extending just to fix said mistake.

Seeing how long it takes to build an east-end Line 5 extension, it may take just as long to construct a west-end extension. Long enough to get some use out of the Kipling Station additions.

Maybe they can just extend the subway to the bus terminal (it's such a long walk lol).

Back